• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.
Well, they should have refused to release a software with these ridiculous requirements.
Then there would be no (zero) sw players for UHD discs.
Don't blame Cyberlink, they're innocent here.

:rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :dance:
OMG, that's funny !
What's funny? That it's going to be a nightmare for both Cyberlink and the customers? I don't see what's funny about that.

I think that may be a tiny hint of sarcasm from Jeff :LOL:

Honestly I have to laugh, just at the sheer ridiculous situation UHD BD requirements have put people in.

Cyberlink are choosing to release/include software boasting UHD BD playback, so any potential support problems are their own doing.
They didn't have to add UHD BD playback, they could of waited until potential hardware compatibility was better (eg discrete HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 cards working at least).

Then there would be no (zero) sw players for UHD discs.
Don't blame Cyberlink, they're innocent here.

When you release a software, you are responsible for it. The way it is right now PowerDVD is not a real UHD BD player, it's basically an Intel commercial for Kaby Lake to make you buy: new CPU, new motherboard while making you stop using NVIDIA or AMD as GPU

I'm lucky .
With my slightly older eyes, if I sit about 2 to 3 metres from the tv I can't really tell the difference between a 1280x720 picture and a 1080p picture on our 65 inch tv.

UHD is a total overkill for the (older? ) generation. Better contrast and deeper blacks are much more important to me than the pixel race.

I would ALSO much prefer if movies were distributed in 16x9 format than in UHD, instead of the insanely thin strips that have become the norm.

Sorry if this post is slightly off-topic, but the UHD scene seems to be aiming at a gap in the market where there may not really be a need.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

What's funny? That it's going to be a nightmare for both Cyberlink and the customers? I don't see what's funny about that.
What I find annoying is that Cyberlink can barely handle support with regular Blu-ray and it's terrible with these people they hire that simply read scripts that have no idea of the understanding of it all.
Now something comes along where there isn't a chance in hell where people are going to get any help _ the blind leading the blind.
That's what I find funny.
Cyberlink has some of the worst help ever, next to HP with their useless generic answers and all this "escalate your problem crap" "pass the buck stuff"
It just really bugs me that I have to wait for weeks (an unreasonable amount of time) or speak to someone on the phone that I can barely understand to try and get help.
Now UHD Blu-ray comes along _ it will be a farce for them. (it's sort of a bit of sadistic revenge me) :sneaky:
If you don't find that funny, there's nothing I can do about that.

No ones forcing anyone to buy Cyberlink to play UHD Blu-rays, the customer is getting the short end of the stick because the software wasn't carefully planned out due to the forced DMR is no ones fault but their own.
They can use the trial if they want to find out just how terrible it is (at least at this point) that in itself is funny too. :p

I think that may be a tiny hint of sarcasm from Jeff :LOL:

Honestly I have to laugh, just at the sheer ridiculous situation UHD BD requirements have put people in.

Cyberlink are choosing to release/include software boasting UHD BD playback, so any potential support problems are their own doing.
They didn't have to add UHD BD playback, they could of waited until potential hardware compatibility was better (eg discrete HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 cards working at least).
Nope, no sarcasm.

Oh, just a "strange" sense of humor like mine then. I like it :LOL:
When I was over at HP, I was told that I had a "Wry" sense of humor _ nothings changed I guess. :)

I'm going to assume that Pete deleted my "North American UHD Blu-ray Relief Fund" thread.
Others, like Tom, will never get any help now... :cry:

Last edited:
Looks like he got it working, but using the PDVD 14 that comes with the drive
Well considering that PowerDVD 17 has not technically been released yet, he may not have tried to use it.

Well considering that PowerDVD 17 has not technically been released yet, he may not have tried to use it.

He has said he has tried the v17 from this thread, but he seems to have some sort of online verification issue when trying to play.
It sounds like may be this v17 wasn't meant to be used yet and the "internet connection for first time play of an Ultra HD Blu-ray movie" requirement just hasn't been setup remotely by Cyberlink for this version yet (or some bug with it)

Hi, guys. I'm the guy from blu-ray.com that have been messing with getting the Pioneer UHD drive working. Just though I'd register and say hi since I found the links to PowerDVD 17 in this thread (someone linked to it from blu-ray.com).

I can confirm that PowerDVD 17 does not play UHD Blu-ray yet. At least not the subscribed version I bought. The first time you try play a UHD Blu-ray disc in either version 14 (bundled with drive) or 17 (linked in this thread) it does something sort of initialization for about a minute or two. It displays this text while its doing this:

"Power DVD is preparing for UHD Blu-ray. This is only needed first time."

On version 14 the UHD disc starts playing after that.

But on version 17 you get this error instead:
powerdvd21110.jpg
If it's contacting CyberLink (have not traced what actually going on) it might be that they need to enable something on their side for UHD to work on Version 17. Normal blu-ray works fine in both versions. Interestingly I have not had to register/login to use the bundled version 14 so maybe it is also doing some licensing stuff tied to the drive... I'll just use version 14 in Japanese-english mixed language until they enable UHD in version 17.

It is a shame that this new development seems to be greed driven furthermore I recall on another forum it was argued that the benefits to be derived from 4K were almost negligible and we would be better off waiting for 8K screens. I expect that those arguments will have to be tested.

Hi, guys. I'm the guy from blu-ray.com that have been messing with getting the Pioneer UHD drive working.

Welcome, thanks for the information :)
Out of curiosity Is the Pioneer drive the only reader you have? There are a few LG drives we know that can read the UHD BD content, but no one has been able to try them for actual playback.

But on version 17 you get this error instead:
View attachment 32718
If it's contacting CyberLink (have not traced what actually going on) it might be that they need to enable something on their side for UHD to work on Version 17. Normal blu-ray works fine in both versions. Interestingly I have not had to register/login to use the bundled version 14 so maybe it is also doing some licensing stuff tied to the drive... I'll just use version 14 in Japanese-english mixed language until they enable UHD in version 17.
If I remember correctly, OEM versions are tied to the drive and will not work on computers that the drive is not in. Don't quote me on it though, as I could be wrong.

Out of curiosity, would you mind tracing if it's attempting to contact CyberLink? I would do it myself, but I do not have any UHD disks to experiment with.

Hi, guys. I'm the guy from blu-ray.com that have been messing with getting the Pioneer UHD drive working. Just though I'd register and say hi since I found the links to PowerDVD 17 in this thread (someone linked to it from blu-ray.com).
You should install the latest beta of anydvd then scan all your uhd bluray discs and make logs of them then attach them to this thread so that the developers can start work on investigating the new encryption.

You should install the latest beta of anydvd then scan all your uhd bluray discs and make logs of them then attach them to this thread so that the developers can start work on investigating the new encryption.
Please don't. That won't help at all, will only flood the forum server with mostly useless log files.
You can't "crack" AACS by staring at log files.

True, and there have already been plenty UHD logfiles a couple months ago to start working on even if it was possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

Pete, redfox uhd breakout box? I'd buy one. Call it UHD express PVR lol

Welcome, thanks for the information :)
Out of curiosity Is the Pioneer drive the only reader you have? There are a few LG drives we know that can read the UHD BD content, but no one has been able to try them for actual playback.

Thanks! Have very old BR reader in another PC. I think it's a Samsung drive. I did test a UHD Blu-ray in it a last year sometime and it could not read the files (unlike some LG drives). So I don't think it worth messing with that one...

Back