• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Storage options (at least what I do)

Yes it’s what I’m waiting for years and I will wait again for several years, when SSD will be at the same price and space as HDD but it’s not tomorrow :)
For now I’m fine with what I have even if it’s a little noisy.
I am too old to wait for 4 years, what do I do?

I do, but that’s not the point, if you read the article that coop posted it says the Intel thinks that SSD storage will be cheaper than hard drive storage in two years. Do you believe that?

I checked the chart and the prices for HDD/TB are what we have now. Lowest prices per TB for SSD are approx. $44 compared to $40 in the chart. But we still have 10 months to go in 2023. The prediction is maybe a little aggressive but on the other side the development for memory chips is still progressing with 3D NANDs.

I do, but that’s not the point, if you read the article that coop posted it says the Intel thinks that SSD storage will be cheaper than hard drive storage in two years. Do you believe that?

People make trends based on current technology. When something new pops up it can make those trends very wrong. If someone does something amazing with mechanical drives then who knows how long they continue.

In New York before the car they thought they had an absolute environmental disaster on their hands because the city was growing by leaps and bounds and they had no idea how to deal with all the horse manure. Then cars came along and solved that issue entirely.

It's just an example to show how a single technology change can radically alter predictions and trends.

I checked the chart and the prices for HDD/TB are what we have now. Lowest prices per TB for SSD are approx. $44 compared to $40 in the chart. But we still have 10 months to go in 2023. The prediction is maybe a little aggressive but on the other side the development for memory chips is still progressing with 3D NANDs.
That's not far off ... you can get a 1TB SSD for 40 bucks or a 1TB HDD for the same price ... no problem.
The differences get bigger with higher capacity, but the prediction is valid.

That's not far off ... you can get a 1TB SSD for 40 bucks or a 1TB HDD for the same price ... no problem.
For quality PCIe SSDs you have to spend about 90€ a TB. this is what the future of SSDs will be, SATA SSDs will be gone, even in laptops. Even SATA SSDs are 300€ for a 4TB drive, I think there will come a day when they will be much cheaper, and 3.5" Hard drives will be almost gone, but I think that will take at least 5 years.

HDD is approx. $18/TB. So still much lower and matches the chart. It applies to larger drives only.

HDD is approx. $18/TB. So still much lower and matches the chart. It applies to larger drives only.
18€ a TB is exactly the right price for 3.5" spinners, its what most have to deal with now.

18 per TB is a really good deal
You won't get that for a WD Red Pro where I live ... at any Size
upload_2023-2-15_15-19-37.png

Even the "normal" WD Red with 5400 rpm are 21 plus

Of course you could get Toshibas or Seagates for around 15 per TB ... but who wants that? :p

Yes, you can if you pick a HDD in an USB3 enclosure. They are cheaper than bare drives.

The WD Red Pro 22TB drives are 449.00USD, but for most people, they are very easy to get. Sometimes Amazon has sales for 399.00 USD and that is considered a good deal. 5 year warranty are normal for these drives.

I know ... they are a lot cheaper in US :(

The prices in my picture are from a comparing site, that collects prices from hundreds of traders in my region and finds the cheapest one.

Please allow me to introduce you to the wonders of M-Disc Media:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Developed by our friends at Brigham Young University(say what you will about the Mormons but they lead the world in archival media storage), a single M-disc is supposed to last as long as 1,000 years. Even if in practice its only 1/10th of that, that's still longer than you'll ever need to store stuff for.

You do need a specialized M-disc compatible blue-ray burner, but they don't cost any more than a regular burner. The media is significantly more expensive, but the shelf-life makes up for it in the long run. I have about a terabyte of must-have media archived to m-discs so far and over the rest of my lifetime I expect it to cost a lot less than buying new hard drives every 4-5 years.

Good to know. I just hope they are right because I remember being told earlier storage mediums would last a lifetime and then discovered it was 5-10 years. Usually, something about the media unexpectedly turned unstable (dyes with DVD-R), and even the old 'click of death' on ZIP devices that could ruin everything stored on ZIP cartridge media. There are even some issues with some CDs where disc rot got them.

That's why I store all my Blu-ray's for playback in the Sony 400-disc Blu-ray players pictured below, the retail packaging being stored in the garage never to see the light of day again. :sneaky:

View attachment 70447

Each disc in turn is cataloged in both DVD Profiler and My Movies, the locaton of each disc being called out......
Holy crap! I'd hate to pay the electric bill!!!

Holy crap! I'd hate to pay the electric bill!!!
You really wouldn't mind. :cool: I only ever have one of those Blu-ray players powered on at a time and that's when I'm actively watching somtething of course. :whistle: Everything else in the cabinet sits in standby mode basically. :) The only thing in the cabinet that's actively powered on 24/7 aside from the Monster PowerCenters is the serial extender for my remote control solution which is connected to my local network via ethernet. :p That unit draws no power to speak of so. ;) That being said, I do have the ability to power on all 15 of those Blu-ray players at once including the 6 Sony 400-disc DVD players located on the opposite side of the room. :sneaky: Every once in a while just for kicks I'll power everything up at once, then powering everything down again. :D And no, the lights in the house don't dim when I do that. :ROFLMAO: Would be cool if they did though. :LOL:

Last edited:
Good to know. I just hope they are right because I remember being told earlier storage mediums would last a lifetime and then discovered it was 5-10 years. Usually, something about the media unexpectedly turned unstable (dyes with DVD-R), and even the old 'click of death' on ZIP devices that could ruin everything stored on ZIP cartridge media. There are even some issues with some CDs where disc rot got them.

I don't know who told you ordinary CD/DVDRs would last a lifetime. Back in the late 90s when burned CDs started to appear I remember being told they wouldn't last, and people expressing concerns they would cap out after even just 2 or 3 years. The write layer is made from organic materials(some kind of vegtable protien I think?) and will break down eventually.

The mdisc on the other hand uses glassy carbon in the write-layer; effectively a base element. It should last a bit longer.

I don't know who told you ordinary CD/DVDRs would last a lifetime. Back in the late 90s when burned CDs started to appear I remember being told they wouldn't last, and people expressing concerns they would cap out after even just 2 or 3 years. The write layer is made from organic materials(some kind of vegtable protien I think?) and will break down eventually.

The mdisc on the other hand uses glassy carbon in the write-layer; effectively a base element. It should last a bit longer.

"Organic" doesn't mean its made of living material. It just means molecules containing hydrogen and carbon. The dye layer of CDs is typically something from the Cyanine family of chemicals.

Back