• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Storage options (at least what I do)

When are you going to release chapter 2;)

I can tell you the story of my first file server back in '08. Its ends with "And that, children, is why you should never buy the absolute cheapest HDD you can possibly find."

People have movies saved that they may go ten years at a time without watching. They want a media format that can comfortably sit on a shelf with no power, without needing to be replaced, with no maintenance, etc, etc, etc, for decades.
I don't want that ...
With your solution you must also have a very good organizing system to find what you are looking for.
I want my media available ... not sitting in a shelf where I have to search for it.
My Stuff is on NAS with an appropriate RAID, mirrored to another NAS in a separate location AND backed up to a third device.
If one disk fails, I don't sweat at all ... I just buy another disk and replace the faulty one without losing any data.
No hassle with searching for backup media or restoring.

Of course it's not the cheapest solution and it needs permanent power and surveilance.
But I'd recommend it to anyone with the same requirements as me.

I don't want that ...
With your solution you must also have a very good organizing system to find what you are looking for.
I want my media available ... not sitting in a shelf where I have to search for it.
My Stuff is on NAS with an appropriate RAID, mirrored to another NAS in a separate location AND backed up to a third device.
If one disk fails, I don't sweat at all ... I just buy another disk and replace the faulty one without losing any data.
No hassle with searching for backup media or restoring.

Of course it's not the cheapest solution and it needs permanent power and surveilance.
But I'd recommend it to anyone with the same requirements as me.

Din Djarin: "This is the way"

Pfffft you are all a bunch of noob posers. Time has already been hacked (proof below) and it clearly shows 5 1/4 inch floppies are forever. That and modems, big glasses and leather jackets.

Code:
https://youtu.be/KEkrWRHCDQU

On a serious note, I agree with cartman. I use a NAS setup as well. That works well but it does take some investment of funds and maintenance time. I think it just boils down to if you enjoy that type of thing and personally I do. So tending to it all is not a chore it's a fun hobby.

Pfffft you are all a bunch of noob posers. Time has already been hacked (proof below) and it clearly shows 5 1/4 inch floppies are forever. That and modems, big glasses and leather jackets.

Code:
https://youtu.be/KEkrWRHCDQU

On a serious note, I agree with cartman. I use a NAS setup as well. That works well but it does take some investment of funds and maintenance time. I think it just boils down to if you enjoy that type of thing and personally I do. So tending to it all is not a chore it's a fun hobby.
Funny video :). Did you notice that he talks about a 3,5" floppy while using a 5 1/4"?

Reactions: DQ
@cartman0208

Thanks for the SHR link but my whole thing wasn't just the lost space in RAID 5 because of different drive sizes. It's also financial.

I have 4 x Norco RPC-4224. That's 96 drives. Getting enclosures to accommodate 96 drives would be extremely cost prohibitive.

I do want to keep most of my stuff but not going bankrupt doing it :LOL:

Yeah, I must admit, the initial cost of the Synology hardware is somewhat challenging.
You might want to have a look at the Xpenology project ... that's the OS of a Synology (with it's RAID features) virtualized on custom hardware.
I don't know how you access your enclosures, but I would give it a try ;)

Yeah, I must admit, the initial cost of the Synology hardware is somewhat challenging.
You might want to have a look at the Xpenology project ... that's the OS of a Synology (with it's RAID features) virtualized on custom hardware.
I don't know how you access your enclosures, but I would give it a try ;)

Nice!

I guess i'll have to try it once i get some time. Extra busy with a new job/position but it will slow down soon...

I access my enclosures via SMB since they are all running Windows. I have a PC with Kodi on Windows and MySQL as the backend so i can share the library with all my Kodi clients around the house. 3 x Windows PCs, 1 x NVidia Shield, 1 x NVidia Shield Pro, 1x Chromecast w/Google TV, and 2 Android TVs.

The Norcos each have a Plex Server so my friends and family can access my library. I also use Plex when i go out of town but when home, nothing beats a well configured Kodi IMHO.

All my 4U Servers are in a rack in the basement. Had to put a ductless A/C in there because those servers would raise the basement temperature to ~30 degrees Celsius (~86 degrees Fahrenheit)

1678220882315.png

Kodi on Windows and MySQL as the backend so i can share the library with all my Kodi clients around the house.

i need this. want to share KODI library around the house via SMB, without having to scrape metadata in each of the clients. what do i need? mySQL needs a license? not? have to setup a server version of windows? dont laugh, need a tutorial resource(s) for total noobs. btw, yeah i can install plex inside kodi clients and have it boot with kodi, but... i prefer KODI GUI. thank you!

i need this. want to share KODI library around the house via SMB, without having to scrape metadata in each of the clients. what do i need? mySQL needs a license? not? have to setup a server version of windows? dont laugh, need a tutorial resource(s) for total noobs. btw, yeah i can install plex inside kodi clients and have it boot with kodi, but... i prefer KODI GUI. thank you!
MySQL is free, I use also kodi on a raspberry pi connected to my NAS and it works well.

Nope, they both exist. MariaDB is a fork and functionality wise an equal. Webservers however nowadays rend to prefer MariaDB for a while now for performance and licensing reasons afaik.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Lemme write up a quick step by step and i will DM you. There is a How-to on the Kodi wiki but there are a couple of things to take into consideration that are not in there

Isn't Kodi basically the same as Plex?
Nope.

Kodi is a media player that has the ability to get metadata and store it on the client player. Using some add-ons, like "Plex for Kodi" it can access a Plex server, but it is only a media player at it's core.

Plex is a media server that can centrally manage users, permissions etc and allows multiple clients to access that media, each with different settings if need be. It also has built in functionality to server your media outside your LAN if you open the proper router ports. Of course, since all is centrally managed by an admin user those settings and preferences follow you wherever you are watching. If you stop half way through a show, travel to a different state and log into Plex from there it will remember where you were based on your account.

IME, they both have their purpose, but personally I only use Kodi to consume my 3D content as Plex CLIENTS don't support 3D at all. Using the aforementioned add-on in the LibreELEC or OSMC builds of Kodi though, I can consume 3D content being SERVED from my Plex server and emulate the Plex experience though not perfectly.

After multiple custom built file servers I decided to go to 4 Synology's to solve my storage needs. I just got tired of the maintenance needed to keep up with my custom built stuff and the Synology are nearly zero maintenance. I have over 300TB between them and they feed a separate Plex server.

I thought those things were just enclosures, without compute power?

Isn't Kodi basically the same as Plex? Why use two Libraries?

Norco RPC-4224 are computer cases with 24 bays. I have 4 of them and they all have i5 CPUs of varying generations. They all have SAS controllers for 16 drives and the other 8 drives are connected directly to the motherboard. All are using gigabit ethernet connected to a 24 port switch. I have 1 server that stores TV Shows, another for Movies, another for adult stuff and the last one is Music and Comic Books. They all have a Plex server just to distribute the horsepower for the family and friends that have shitty Internet Speeds.

When the internet is slow, the Plex server transcodes the media to be played at a lower bitrate or resolution that the client can handle. Most of my friends and family do use Direct Play/Direct Stream so in theory i could just use one Plex server but sometimes i have 25 people on at the same time so i prefer distributing that to all 4 servers..

Like @MovieFan said, they Kodi & Plex different purposes.

Kodi is a media player and will play pretty much anything. Plex doesn't play everything... Like .ISO files. You can extend the Kodi functionality tremendously with the help of addons. They are written in Python and there are tens of thousands that have been written for the different versions over the years.

It also has a skinning engine so anyone can create or customize the UI if you have half a brain. All you need is a text editor to modify the xml files.

If i didn't have a need to share my library outside of my LAN, i would strictly use Kodi. Actually, i setup a VPN server for my brother so he can connect to my network and stream with Kodi as if he was in the same house. I can't do that for all my family and friends because of course i don't want everyone to have access to my network but also it's too complicated for the luddites.

Honestly until you see Kodi in action, it's hard to put into words how it's the best experience for a rich ui with tons of features and metadata.

Just a quick example of things i use or have configured in Kodi:

• I can watch Netflix, HBO Max, Discovery+, DAZN, etc.. from within Kodi so i bypass all those autoplays and have a consistent interface.
  • Kodi will let me know if the show is continuing or cancelled and let me know when the next episode airs
  • Kodi will let me know if i try watching an episode when i haven't watched the previous one
  • Kodi will rewind 30 seconds when i resume an episode if it's been paused longer than a time i set
  • Kodi will download missing subtitles for movies or tv shows on-the-fly
  • Kodi will give me ratings from IMDB, TMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, Trakt, etc...
  • Kodi will give me my metadata in the language i choose. I have my English shows/movies display meta in English and French shows/movies display in French
  • But the key feature is the skins. There are 100's of gorgeous skins available and you will find one that suits your needs that is guaranteed
Aiiight... Since some people don't know about it, i will write up that tutorial and add screenshots and recommendations. Will create a new thread.

Back