• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Storage options (at least what I do)

Back in the day when Netflix was about mailing DVD's, I hacked that system into the ground with new accounts. If you started off an a three-disk plan and upgraded to 5, there was often no upgrade fee during the first month. I had disks coming in daily that I burned to DVD-R media and took them straight to the post office a few hours later. That meant I was getting and sending back disks on the same day. You can get a lot of DVDs that way. I created a large collection of titles and remember storing them away back in 2004 as we moved to a new house. Then I discovered DVD-R media is simply not stable in the long term. Over time, errors gradually became greater and greater until you'd get an unreadable disk. Some media brands were better than others, but it became clear to me a phonograph record or tape recording was much more likely to outlast any DVD-R. By 2020, that had proven true. Most of those DVDs are no longer reliable.

I don't know if Blu-Ray recordable media will have a better track record, but I'd be wary.

By the mid 2010s my philosophy turned against physical media because almost everything I'd ever wanted was available to stream from somewhere, so what was the point of downloading and saving anything? Just go online and stream it. Then the corporate mentality reared its ugly head once again and shows rapidly started disappearing from streaming services, either to sell to broadcast partners, open a window of exclusivity to sell new DVD boxsets, and more lately bring all content back to the creator's own streaming service (ie. NBC shows to Peacock, CBS to Paramount+, etc.) A lot of more obscure titles simply went completely offline, especially TV series from the 1960s and 70s. Now many are licensed out to MeTV, RetroTV, and other similar networks.

So now I don't even start a new series unless I have copies stored locally, because there is every chance it will disappear off the streaming platform before I've seen it. HBOMax is doing that right now with a lot of content that disappears with no warning. The only reason they are cutting the library is so they can sell those shows to cable networks and television stations.

My storage solution is Plex tied to three NAS servers with a combined space of around 75TB. One of the NAS boxes currently has four 6TB drives and I will rotate those out to 18TB drives later this year. Everything is RAID10 for me for maximum protection against drive failure. Yes it means I am sacrificing potential space because RAID10 basically means a 1GB size show takes 2GB to store. I prefer reliability over storage space. A few weeks ago, one of the 6TB drives I bought in 2016 reported a failure, so I slipped in a spare and it rebuilt that new drive with the content I could have lost. No muss, no fuss. Historically, I have been buying one Synology 920+ a year and populating each with four drives. The 920+ is now discontinued, but that is okay because I just need future NAS boxes to have storage space accessible to my main Plex NAS. As space runs out, you can either do the math of the cost of upgrading say four existing hard drives to greater capacity drives, or simply buy another NAS and use cheaper, lower capacity drives in it. I have done both depending on how much things cost at the time.

This thread has taken lots of twist and turns, I love it! Also, I love my WD Reds. I have 12 of them and never had an issue. (Knocking on wood right now) :whistle:

One of my 6TB WD Reds bought in 2016 just reported a failure. I had to swap it out. It was the first NAS hard drive failure I have had. The other three drives in there were made at around the same time in 2016 so I am vigilant about responding to drive anomaly reports. It is a good idea to have at least one spare drive on hand to swap because it might take up to a week to get a replacement, leaving that disk in peril and opening the risk of a second drive failure during that window.

One of my 6TB WD Reds bought in 2016 just reported a failure. I had to swap it out. It was the first NAS hard drive failure I have had. The other three drives in there were made at around the same time in 2016 so I am vigilant about responding to drive anomaly reports. It is a good idea to have at least one spare drive on hand to swap because it might take up to a week to get a replacement, leaving that disk in peril and opening the risk of a second drive failure during that window.
I use a software called Hard Disc Sentinel, it actually alerts you to the health of your HD, all of them.

Yes it means I am sacrificing potential space because RAID10 basically means a 1GB size show takes 2GB to store.

Well not technically (as I understand it). It's RAID 1 (mirroring) along with RAID 0, hence RAID10. It sacrifices storage for performance as much as it does redundancy. I think technically RAID 6 would have more redundancy especially with a hot spare or 2. But then it's not like 10 does not have decent redundancy with a hot spare. But from my experience RAID10 performs MUCH better on writes than does RAID5/6. So I am just being technical not at all saying it is a bad choice.

Just my 2 cents on it.

I use a software called Hard Disc Sentinel, it actually alerts you to the health of your HD, all of them.
A NAS usually does that too ;)
My personal last incident was 2 years ago when my Synology detected 8 defective sectors on a disk.
The drive was not failing and could probably run for some time, but I didn't take the risk... removed, RMA'd and replaced it without downtime, all my stuff was accessible during that time ... I like RAID :bowdown:

A NAS usually does that too ;)
My personal last incident was 2 years ago when my Synology detected 8 defective sectors on a disk.
The drive was not failing and could probably run for some time, but I didn't take the risk... removed, RMA'd and replaced it without downtime, all my stuff was accessible during that time ... I like RAID :bowdown:

Bad sectors are like sugar ants. After you see a few you know more are coming :p

I like to burn all video files to BD-R, always have done. I just like physical media in general and like the fact I can label the disc and store it away without any hassle. I like to buy the Verbatim 25gb BD-R which up to this point has never let me down. I like to store TV series and Documentaries on them all stored in mp4 with aac audio for maximum compatibility.

Expensive, but I use Dropbox’s unlimited cloud storage. Currently got over 17TB on there. It’s nice downloading from here and not having to worry about space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Expensive, but I use Dropbox’s unlimited cloud storage. Currently got over 17TB on there. It’s nice downloading from here and not having to worry about space.
That Business Advanced subscription?

It's been fun reading this thread. I may have to try some of the suggestions on here, I am constantly seeking new solutions that split the difference between cost and longevity.

Reactions: DQ
It's been fun reading this thread. I may have to try some of the suggestions on here, I am constantly seeking new solutions that split the difference between cost and longevity.

Yes some users have a good hardware, I have a 2 disks NAS with no RAID and the backup are on a bunch of hard drives in my desk. But I don't want more, my NAS is just under my TV and I find it too noisy, so a 4 disks NAS will be worse.

Yes some users have a good hardware, I have a 2 disks NAS with no RAID and the backup are on a bunch of hard drives in my desk. But I don't want more, my NAS is just under my TV and I find it too noisy, so a 4 disks NAS will be worse.

Well now why would you put it there?

My NAS sits in a rack in a patio room; out of site, out of mind. If there's power and you can run a cat5 cable to it, the NAS can live anywhere you please.

I don't know if Blu-Ray recordable media will have a better track record, but I'd be wary.

Please allow me to introduce you to the wonders of M-Disc Media:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Developed by our friends at Brigham Young University(say what you will about the Mormons but they lead the world in archival media storage), a single M-disc is supposed to last as long as 1,000 years. Even if in practice its only 1/10th of that, that's still longer than you'll ever need to store stuff for.

You do need a specialized M-disc compatible blue-ray burner, but they don't cost any more than a regular burner. The media is significantly more expensive, but the shelf-life makes up for it in the long run. I have about a terabyte of must-have media archived to m-discs so far and over the rest of my lifetime I expect it to cost a lot less than buying new hard drives every 4-5 years.

Ok, that limits the options ... for zero noise you could go for those Samsung 8TB SATA SSDs, but they're still 4times the price of the same sized rotating disk version :unsure:

Ok, that limits the options ... for zero noise you could go for those Samsung 8TB SATA SSDs, but they're still 4times the price of the same sized rotating disk version :unsure:
We have to wait a couple of years. But it will happen....

Yes it’s what I’m waiting for years and I will wait again for several years, when SSD will be at the same price and space as HDD but it’s not tomorrow :)
For now I’m fine with what I have even if it’s a little noisy.

Back