• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Running AnyStream under Wine

Quick question for the Mac users running anyStream under VMWare Fusion:

yesterday I was unable to save downloads to my Macs download's folder (I can currently only save to my VM's c:\downloads folder). It was working but suddenly stopped. I may have changed a setting but not sure what.

It's not critical as I can manually move them across using Windows "File Explorer" (which implies the VM environment is set correctly).

Any ideas why AnyStream can see (but not save to) my Mac's download folder when Fusion and "File Explorer" can?

VMWare Fusion's file sharing is kind of finicky. What you're trying to do does work for me (which is to say, I also have AnyStream's output directory set to a folder on my Mac via VMWare's shared folders), but I've had trouble in other contexts.

What I recommend doing is connecting to your Mac as a standard SMB network drive, as you would if your Mac and PC were separate machines. I've found data transfer speeds to be a bit slower this way, but more reliable.

I nearly got Anystream Plus running on Pop OS 21.04 using Q4Wine. 32 Bit only and Disney+ is the only provider that is able to load. Amazon progress bar loads to 100% but the content window never loads. Hulu and HBO Max flicker like they're about to start loading but ultimately don't. Netflix just doesn't do anything. I just installed it tonight on POP to test it. If I can find a way to get it working over the weekend I'll update.

An also ran with Ubuntu 21.04 Wine Staging 6.18. Anystream 64-bit version 1.2.2.2

Anystream will install and download trial license.
I tried and managed to log into Prime Video and Netflix. It is possible start and complete the odd download.
However, if left unattented Anystream will freeze, well enter into a non-responsive state and must be forcibly terminated.
An other odd thing that I noted is that it is or so it seems impossible to register it. The registration process looks as if it ends Ok but on restart Anystream is still in trial mode.

This being done mostly using QT 5.6 or somesuch, could we please have a native Linux/Mac versions? Pretty please?
I would volunteer in an instant, to test both.

An also ran with Ubuntu 21.04 Wine Staging 6.18. Anystream 64-bit version 1.2.2.2

Anystream will install and download trial license.
I tried and managed to log into Prime Video and Netflix. It is possible start and complete the odd download.
However, if left unattented Anystream will freeze, well enter into a non-responsive state and must be forcibly terminated.
An other odd thing that I noted is that it is or so it seems impossible to register it. The registration process looks as if it ends Ok but on restart Anystream is still in trial mode.

This being done mostly using QT 5.6 or somesuch, could we please have a native Linux/Mac versions? Pretty please?
I would volunteer in an instant, to test both.
The developers have already said, there will be no Linux or Mac versions. Sorry about that. But you can use it with Parallels on a Mac, it works great.

The developers have already said, there will be no Linux or Mac versions. Sorry about that. But you can use it with Parallels on a Mac, it works great.
Sorry to hear that, I must have missed that post/message.
While I do to some extent understand why it is still not far beyond a recompile. That is the whole point, la raison d´être of using a toolkit like QT, it's crossplatform. Though nice even if you stay on one.
The Parallels way will most likely only work on an Intel-Mac and not on the current and upcoming ARM-based one.
That said, again sorry to hear about the no Linux/Mac version.

The Parallels way will most likely only work on an Intel-Mac

I run it under Parallels on my intel-Mac and it works great.
I also have access to an M1 so can try it out and report back....

[edit] I meant I run it under VMWare Fusion.
[edit] ...I am constantly getting Parallels mixed up with Crossover.

Last edited:
I have an Intel iMac running Parallels VM Hosting latest Windows 10. Redfox 32bit apps (Anydvd HD, Anystream) work fantastic! I would abandon MS Windows altogether if it weren’t the need to lean on Redfox’s apps.

I run it under Parallels on my intel-Mac and it works great.
I also have access to an M1 so can try it out and report back....

[edit] I meant I run it under VMWare Fusion. It does not run under the current (v20 I think) version of Parallels. Looks hopeful for v21 though.
Using Parallels or Fusion or any other virtual machine implies a full Windows installation. An ARM-based Mac would also imply an ARM-version of Windows.
Maybe there's something I am not privy to but will WIndows for ARM have a Rosetta2 equivalent? If not it would require an ARM-version of Anystream if I am not mistaken.
Wonder how that would happen?

[edit]
Automagically or so it seems. M1 Mac Mini->Parallels trial, Win 11-ARM-64. Anystream 64-bit and much to my amazement it actually works. If that is works perfect remains to be seen but right now I am happy.
[/edit]

Last edited:
Using Parallels or Fusion or any other virtual machine implies a full Windows installation. An ARM-based Mac would also imply an ARM-version of Windows.
Maybe there's something I am not privy to but will WIndows for ARM have a Rosetta2 equivalent? If not it would require an ARM-version of Anystream if I am not mistaken.

[edit]
Automagically or so it seems. M1 Mac Mini->Parallels trial, Win 11-ARM-64. Anystream 64-bit and much to my amazement it actually works. If that is works perfect remains to be seen but right now I am happy.
[/edit]
We are happy when you are happy.(y)

[edit]
[/edit]
This is what i have as well. Windows arm runs surprisingly well on M1

+1 this is how I use it... works perfectly...!
Yes,it works perfectly or so it seems but I would rather not have the overhead of first Parallels then Windows 11 ARM between the Mac and Anystream.
A native version (Mac or Linux) would be a lot better but I'll settle for something that works rather than nothing at all or a Wintel-box.

Yes,it works perfectly or so it seems but I would rather not have the overhead of first Parallels then Windows 11 ARM between the Mac and Anystream.
A native version (Mac or Linux) would be a lot better but I'll settle for something that works rather than nothing at all or a Wintel-box.

And I'd rather the majority of the world used macOS instead of Windows.. but here we are... ;)

And I'd rather the majority of the world used macOS instead of Windows.. but here we are... ;)

If macOS was not locked to overpriced hardware it might have a shot. I think all the major OS's have their place and do certain things well but macOS itself is really limited by the proprietary hardware thing. Just my 2 cents.

Y'know.. I can only give my own experience on this.. but I've been running macs now for 16 years.. my only complaint about them is they outlast the OS updates that are done by Apple over the years. Eventually a macOS update is released that will not work on a mac I have that is 10 years old. And you know what? That's fine.. I repurpose them as Linux machines and continue to use them. For 'overpriced hardware' I can safely say I've never gotten more mileage out of any machines I've ever used.. especially typical Wintel hardware - ever.

I get Windows is popular.. but then again so is McDonalds... I don't buy that either.. I have very specific use-cases for Windows that I use it for.. everything else I make a living with I use macs. YMMV, IANAL, YOLO, etc..

Back