• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Running AnyStream under Wine

Y'know.. I can only give my own experience on this.. but I've been running macs now for 16 years.. my only complaint about them is they outlast the OS updates that are done by Apple over the years. Eventually a macOS update is released that will not work on a mac I have that is 10 years old. And you know what? That's fine.. I repurpose them as Linux machines and continue to use them. For 'overpriced hardware' I can safely say I've never gotten more mileage out of any machines I've ever used.. especially typical Wintel hardware - ever.

I get Windows is popular.. but then again so is McDonalds... I don't buy that either.. I have very specific use-cases for Windows that I use it for.. everything else I make a living with I use macs. YMMV, IANAL, YOLO, etc..

As I mentioned I think they all have their place. Windows is popular for a multitude of reasons and one of the major ones is it is hardware agnostic for the most part and is highly accessible. I am not saying one is superior over the other just speaking as to why you see Windows everywhere. I mean lots of folks have older Windows machines as well hence the whole issue with folks still running things like Win7. I repurpose WIntel machines all the time and run them for other purposes so that is not exclusive to one or the other.

The bottom line is I do not believe macOS ,nor the hardware they sell it on, is much of a priority for Apple (relatively speaking). They make most of their cash off iPhone sales so that is where their priority lays. Back in the day the hardware and software was competitive but I think Apple is happy (for now) letting it just languish a bit. I am sure when they choose to prioritize it again it will shift.

I love my Ipad, new M1 chip, 12.9" screen, and 2 Tbs of storage, (it's not really mine it's my son's but he lets me use it cause I like to watch AS movies in bed. He didn't pay for it, he has a job with a big computer company, and its a perk, but now that the virus is slowing down he doesn't have to use it as much. The movies from HBOMax look fantastic on it, I use Infuse software and I couldn't be happier.

The bottom line is I do not believe macOS ,nor the hardware they sell it on, is much of a priority for Apple (relatively speaking). They make most of their cash off iPhone sales so that is where their priority lays. Back in the day the hardware and software was competitive but I think Apple is happy (for now) letting it just languish a bit. I am sure when they choose to prioritize it again it will shift.

I will concede a point on this... Apple is evolving into a cloud and media company and away from being a computer company - they don't even have the word "Computer" in their name any more. They sell a lot of computers.. and I mean a LOT of computers.. and I've seen solid arguments for the 12k configured Mac Pro being hand-and-fist a better value than a 12k configured WinTel machine but all of that said... if you aren't in that market.. that's entirely an academic discussion. Regardless, Apple uses their hardware as a means to an end.. They sell you a phone so you'll keep buying into their ecosystem of services. Same with their TV product, etc.

Regardless, it boils down to what you prefer. FWIW, MS is evolving into a cloud company. Xbox Gamepass... making game systems with no disc drives, etc.. For them Wintel desktop machines are just another means to an end. I wouldn't be surprised if - at some point in the future - MS does the same thing apple does and gives away Windows just like Apple gives away macOS. As far as their machine quality goes - I'm sorry.. I have never EVER found a better built machine than what Apple makes in the past 16 years. I think 25 years ago.. sure you could make that argument.. macs back then were crap. Now? Nothing could be further from the truth. I could get barely 3 years out of a windows machine before they were toast and unusable. I've got a Mac Pro machine sitting next to me that is 10 years old and still works great. I have it configured to run macOS Mojave and Linux using m2 SSDs on a PCIe card.

As far as Windows goes I can only speak for my own experience but I've ever found Windows machines good for two things.. well.. three including using Anystream. ;)

I will concede a point on this... Apple is evolving into a cloud and media company and away from being a computer company - they don't even have the word "Computer" in their name any more. They sell a lot of computers.. and I mean a LOT of computers.. and I've seen solid arguments for the 12k configured Mac Pro being hand-and-fist a better value than a 12k configured WinTel machine but all of that said... if you aren't in that market.. that's entirely an academic discussion. Regardless, Apple uses their hardware as a means to an end.. They sell you a phone so you'll keep buying into their ecosystem of services. Same with their TV product, etc.

Regardless, it boils down to what you prefer. FWIW, MS is evolving into a cloud company. Xbox Gamepass... making game systems with no disc drives, etc.. For them Wintel desktop machines are just another means to an end. I wouldn't be surprised if - at some point in the future - MS does the same thing apple does and gives away Windows just like Apple gives away macOS. As far as their machine quality goes - I'm sorry.. I have never EVER found a better built machine than what Apple makes in the past 16 years. I think 25 years ago.. sure you could make that argument.. macs back then were crap. Now? Nothing could be further from the truth. I could get barely 3 years out of a windows machine before they were toast and unusable. I've got a Mac Pro machine sitting next to me that is 10 years old and still works great. I have it configured to run macOS Mojave and Linux using m2 SSDs on a PCIe card.

As far as Windows goes I can only speak for my own experience but I've ever found Windows machines good for two things.. well.. three including using Anystream. ;)

What are those two two things, apart from Anystream?
Gaming (because you just can't on Apple) and ... ?
What about enterprise integration? Central client customization with GPO, to name just one example ... is that possible with MacOS? I'm not sure here...

Reactions: DQ

I am an older IT guy. I have worked with and supported them all. From my point of view they each have their pro's and con's. For me personally, my favorite thing to do with a Windows PC is build it myself. This is not an avenue Mac allows currently. Well I made a VM of macOS once but that does not count :p

What are those two two things, apart from Anystream?
Gaming (because you just can't on Apple) and ... ?
What about enterprise integration? Central client customization with GPO, to name just one example ... is that possible with MacOS? I'm not sure here...

Virus propagation... ;)

And you *can* Game on apple devices.. you just either have to use Crossover or dual boot via Bootcamp or the game has to be ported to Mac (and many are these days).

As far as enterprise integration that's actually very easy to do with macs.. in fact 90% of the people I work with (at a large IT company in the Pacific Northwest) use macs as their dev machines because it's a unix core.

I am an older IT guy. I have worked with and supported them all. From my point of view they each have their pro's and con's. For me personally, my favorite thing to do with a Windows PC is build it myself. This is not an avenue Mac allows currently. Well I made a VM of macOS once but that does not count

I get it. I used to build my own machines.. I just got tired of it.. I just use my machines to build software and photo and video editing/transcoding.. and I use consoles for gaming.

Reactions: DQ
Virus propagation... ;)
Might be ... but only 1. because of market share and it's more rewarding for malware programmers because there are more targets
and 2. unfortunately there's a lot of outdated OS versions still connected to the internet :(
What do you think will happen, when there are more Macs? Those are by no means immune to Virus/Malware

And you *can* Game on apple devices.. you just either have to use Crossover or dual boot via Bootcamp or the game has to be ported to Mac (and many are these days).
And you *can* go racing with a Prius ... Just swap the drivetrain and chassis ... sorry couldn't resist :p

From my experience Mac users are either Designers, Women:whistle: oder people who want to say "Look at my fancy Mac" :dance:

Ok, I'm quiet now ... this is already way off topic.

Last edited:
And you *can* go racing with a Prius ... Just swap the drivetrain and chassis ... sorry couldn't resist :p

You can go racing with a Honda Civic too.. same approach... Doesn't mean I'm going to trade in a Ferrari for it....

From my experience Mac users are either Designers, Women:whistle: oder people who want to say "Look at my fancy Mac" :dance:

You would be wrong there...

Ok, I'm quiet now ... this is already way off topic.

Probably a good idea... ;)

Is their a way to tweak the windows version to make it fully compatible with wine?

You have AnyStream working with Linux under Wine and Infuse?

I use VMWare Fusion (macOS Big Sur) for Anystream.

I tried running it with Crossover for Mac, but it didn't work. @Legend1981 wrote (further up this thread) that it worked under wine-6.14 (Staging). I emailed the Crossover team and they replied that this version of Wine will probably be incorporated into their next release at the end of the year (would be Crossover 22). I'll be retrying when it is released.

...but reading your question makes me think* I may be thinking of a different Infuse. I was referring to the Mac/iOS/TVOS media player.

[edit*: Typo]

I use VMWare Fusion (macOS Big Sur) for Anystream.

I tried running it with Crossover for Mac, but it didn't work. @Legend1981 wrote (further up this thread) that it worked under wine-6.14 (Staging). I emailed the Crossover team and they replied that this version of Wine will probably be incorporated into their next release at the end of the year (would be Crossover 22). I'll be retrying when it is released.

...but reading your question makes me thing I may be thinking of a different Infuse. I was referring to the Mac/iOS/TVOS media player.
Yes, and that is just a good media that I also use for my Ipad, but it will not in anyway have anything to do with AnyStream working with Wine Linux. AnyStream does not work with Linux.

AnyStream only works with Parallels on a Mac. End of story. It doesn't work on Linux.
Well, it will work with a VM just like it does on Mac. There's no Parallels for Linux but you can use VMWare, Virtualbox, Gnome Boxes, KVM, etc.

Edit: I've removed "Resolved" from the thread title because this thread isn't really resolved, most of us still haven't been able to make AnyStream work in Wine. I don't expect any official help making AnyStream work, but we can continue testing and sharing results in this thread as new versions of Wine are released with better compatibility.

Well, it will work with a VM just like it does on Mac. There's no Parallels for Linux but you can use VMWare, Virtualbox, Gnome Boxes, KVM, etc.

Edit: I've removed "Resolved" from the thread title because this thread isn't really resolved, most of us still haven't been able to make AnyStream work in Wine. I don't expect any official help making AnyStream work, but we can continue testing and sharing results in this thread as new versions of Wine are released with better compatibility.
AnyStream was not made to work with Linux. You can do as you like, but AnyStream does not work correctly with Linux.

Some progress with Anystream running with Wine on Linux.
Today I managed to download 2 different movies/episodes with Anystream on Linux using Wine. One from
Code:
Disney+
and the other one from
Code:
Netflix
Anyway the resulting downloads seem to be Ok, subtitles and sound as expected.
That service provided by that Bezoz guy does not work at all. The page starts to load and then nada. All black.

This is with Ubuntu 21.04 X64, with all the latest updates, Wine 6.19 development fresh as of yesterday.
Intentionally or not to some extent it actually works. But YMMV.

Back