• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Running AnyStream under Wine

Wowfunhappy

I don't use Windows, but I'm currently running AnyStream inside of a Windows VM, and it works great! For a variety of reasons, however, I would rather use Wine if I can.

Out of the box, AnyStream does not launch at all under Wine. It doesn't visibly crash or show any windows--nothing happens at all, until I eventually give up and force quit the program. I've tried both the 32bit and 64bit versions of AnyStream, and I've tried running the installer under Windows and feeding Wine the post-install folder.

I know that people who understand Wine can often get stuff running even when it doesn't work initially. Has anyone else managed to get further than me?

(I know that this is all completely unsupported, I just thought someone else in the community might have a similar setup!)

I were able to get to the point of the license expired window and no further when I tried AnyStream within PlayOnLinux (PlayOnLinux is a GUI for Wine) I asked for help in the PlayOnLinux forum over a month ago and I have not received a response. The Wine site is probably the best site for support to get it running and to submit bug reports. Also, the following link speaks of a Linux version of AnyStream but, with no certain date of release. https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/linux-version.79170/

You know as a longtime tech guy I get why you would want to do something in a non-standard way. The pursuit can be very fun especially if you can accomplish it. But through the years I have found sometimes it's just not worth the effort. Sometimes you just want something to be a reliable tool that works well each and every time. Advice from an older guy ;)

I am very happy to hear that people are having a good experience within Linux, with AnyStream, I wish somebody would say how they would do with parallels on an Apple program. But it sure is great to hear users using Linux with VM and having a good experience

You know as a longtime tech guy I get why you would want to do something in a non-standard way. The pursuit can be very fun especially if you can accomplish it. But through the years I have found sometimes it's just not worth the effort. Sometimes you just want something to be a reliable tool that works well each and every time. Advice from an older guy
But if I was doing things the standard way, I would watch videos in the Netflix app and I'd have no need for AnyStream!

Unfortunately, I'm too picky. I have a very particular computer setup that I invest, um, a bit too much time in. ;)

I am very happy to hear that people are having a good experience within Linux, with AnyStream, I wish somebody would say how they would do with parallels on an Apple program.
It should just work, provided you have a license (since RedFox doesn't allow trial versions inside of Virtual Machines). Do you know where it's getting stuck?

I happen to prefer VMWare Fusion to Parallels on Mac, but that mostly has to do with the UI.

It should just work, provided you have a license (since RedFox doesn't allow trial versions inside of Virtual Machines). Do you know where it's getting stuck?

I happen to prefer VMWare Fusion to Parallels on Mac, but that mostly has to do with the UI.
Have you tried parallels on Apple? I have not personally tried any Linux programs with AnyStream, But if I did I would try it with Linux Mint

Have you tried parallels on Apple? I have not personally tried any Linux programs with AnyStream, But if I did I would try it with Linux Mint

No, but I have tried VMWare Fusion on Apple/Mac. AnyStream works fine.

I'm actually a Mac user, not a Linux user. Wine works on both! (It has some issues on macOS 10.15+, but I'm running a much older version.)

Last edited:
I managed to get further by switching the window renderer from X to Quartz. (This should have been one of the first things I tried, I'm kicking myself!) I set my language and download directories and even added my Anystream license, all of which worked successfully.

But I can't actually get the main interface to open:

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 6.53.49 PM.png

Spent all afternoon trying to get past this. The three DLL's it mentions are indeed there, and OpenGL 2 should work under Wine anyway.

Last edited:
I have got AnyStream 32bit and 64bit to install properly on Parallels on my MBP (MacOS 11.5.1).

However, the demo code it generated had immediately expired and seems to change when I run it. (I assume somehow using Parallels has effected the code and that a previous parallels use has. ...used it).

My Parallels demo runs out in 2 days time and I'm not buying both parallels and AnyStream without knowing it works properly. The fact that the code had changed twice on me makes me nervous to buy a licence in case it stops working after a short period of time.

I have got AnyStream 32bit and 64bit to install properly on Parallels on my MBP (MacOS 11.5.1).

However, the demo code it generated had immediately expired and seems to change when I run it. (I assume somehow using Parallels has effected the code and that a previous parallels use has. ...used it).

My Parallels demo runs out in 2 days time and I'm not buying both parallels and AnyStream without knowing it works properly. The fact that the code had changed twice on me makes me nervous to buy a licence in case it stops working after a short period of time.
Please upload a logfile from AS. I have absolutely no clue if it will help the devs in this case but better now than never if it runs out in two days. Simply open AS and go into the upper left corner, file, create logfile. Post it.

Did you ever get as far as doing any downloads, and if you did how many did you do?

The free 21-day trial version of AnyStream is limited to approximately 10 downloads. You have a quota of 10 downloads. Whenever some of it is used up, it will refill at a rate of 1 download every day. This amounts to a maximum of 31 downloads over the trial period of 21 days.

The trial doesn't work in VM's (the real version does), this is on the main page.

As someone who uses Anystream in a VM, I agree this is annoying, I had to dig out an old PC to test out the trial. I can understand why they do it though; it's super easy to just restore a VM from a snapshot and reinstall.

The trial doesn't work in VM's (the real version does), this is on the main page.

As someone who uses Anystream in a VM, I agree this is annoying, I had to dig out an old PC to test out the trial. I can understand why they do it though; it's super easy to just restore a VM from a snapshot and reinstall.
Good catch Wowfunhappy
System Requirements
  • A Windows compatible PC with minimum 2 GHz Processor and 1 GB RAM
  • Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
  • Requires a valid account for each streaming provider
  • Running AnyStream in a Virtual Machine requires a valid AnyStream license, trial versions will not work in VMs

Please upload a logfile from AS. I have absolutely no clue if it will help the devs in this case but better now than never if it runs out in two days. Simply open AS and go into the upper left corner, file, create logfile. Post it.

I have been in contact with the devs. Not much they can do.

Thanks for pointing out the VM issue - I totally missed that.

The dev has assured me that if I buy the licence and it doesn't work, they'll refund me so going to buy it now. Will update you to confirm it works using Parallels for those that are interested,

I use Parallels on macOS with Big Sur. So far things are worked great.. however with the latest beta I did have Anystream crash while trying to download from HBO Max.. I'll have to see where to send the log now..

I use Parallels on macOS with Big Sur. So far things are worked great.

Good to know!

I have just bought a licence but have no clue how to install the licence. I still have the "do you want a trial licence" and "your trial licence has expired" with no option to add a real licence. How did you do that?

[edit]
I have put the licence in the desktop folder in the Anystream Crossover bottle:
users/crossover/Desktop
...but that doesn't do it.

[edit] Have found regAnyStream.exe and run it and it seems to have worked, but the app (v1.1.5.0) now crashes with the afore mentioned "failed to create OpenGL..." error.

Do you know the version number that works?

Last edited:
Do you know the version number that works?
I mean, I don't think there is one. As far as I can tell no one has ever gotten any version of AnyStream working in Crossover/Wine (so far). VM's like Parallels and Virtualbox are a different story—non-trial versions of Anystream work fine there. (As they should—Windows inside a VM is just Windows).

Back