• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Running AnyStream under Wine

Some progress with Anystream running with Wine on Linux.

Great!

When I tried it on macOS I was using Crossover which doesn't yet run on the latest Wine (I've been told to expect it later in the year). Is there a simple script that will install the AnyStream bottle (once Wine has been installed)? ...I am imagine that there are dependancies that need to be considered. ...I think I'll try Wine directly so need to learn a bit more about it.

[edited for typos]

The day of wonder is here or at least it looks that way.

Using the latest beta 21.1 b1 Crossover Mac on a M1 Mac Mini with 16 GB Ram it actually looks as if AnyStream works.
Installation without any errors into a Win 7-64 bottle. Started and registered Ok and is currently downloading two items.

No small feat to soak AnyStream in Wine, then Macify it and on top of that run it through Rosetta 2.
The HBO Max dl just finished and plays Ok with VLC. Incl. subs.

The day of wonder is here or at least it looks that way.

Using the latest beta 21.1 b1 Crossover Mac on a M1 Mac Mini with 16 GB Ram it actually looks as if AnyStream works.
Installation without any errors into a Win 7-64 bottle. Started and registered Ok and is currently downloading two items.

No small feat to soak AnyStream in Wine, then Macify it and on top of that run it through Rosetta 2.
The HBO Max dl just finished and plays Ok with VLC. Incl. subs.

Of all the things in life that appear valuable, the only finite thing is time.

And we are told Apple is better. :p
Sounds like such a lot of work for me to make something work in Apple or Linux.
For windows it is just pay, install and it works. :)

And we are told Apple is better. :p
Sounds like such a lot of work for me to make something work in Apple or Linux.
For windows it is just pay, install and it works. :)
Which one is better is not what is up for debate, at all.
The reason I and others try to use WINE, Crossover, Parallels etc. is only because there are no native versions provided.
Using QT would suggest that providing native versions is not far beyond a recompile, though there might be some obstacles along the way.
That said, the purveyors of said fine software have announced that there will be only one, and that version is for Windows.

But as the saying goes, the only easy day was yesterday, one wonders what will they think of next?

Using QT would suggest that providing native versions is not far beyond a recompile, though there might be some obstacles along the way.
QT is just the user interface. Everything else but what the program actually _does_ would have to be ported. Wine is an excellent solution if it works now. (Now I just need to find a way to get the latest version of Wine onto my laughably ancient version of macOS.)

I know it is not a priority / not in the immediate time horizon, but I thought having a linux version was in the "plans"

Prospere said it here: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/linux-version.79170/#post-522605

Was there another thread that said a linux was never going to happen?

I dream if being able to run via linux.

In this post here RedFox 1 stated that "The developers have already said, there will be no Linux or Mac versions. Sorry about that. But you can use it with Parallels on a Mac, it works great."

n this post here RedFox 1 stated that "The developers have already said, there will be no Linux or Mac versions. Sorry about that. But you can use it with Parallels on a Mac, it works great."
I think that most of the guys wishing a native Linux (or Mac) version know about the alternatives like Parallels (or other VM workstations/Players or Hypervisors).
But in all those cases you need a Windows licence (except Wine).

While you can run a non-licenced (or non-activated) Windows up to now this will not pertain for all eternity.

I second a native Linux version (dreaming...).

QT is just the user interface. Everything else but what the program actually _does_ would have to be ported. Wine is an excellent solution if it works now. (Now I just need to find a way to get the latest version of Wine onto my laughably ancient version of macOS.)
Using QT only for the GUI is of course Ok and perfectly reasonable. Not using the crossplatform non-gui functionality provided by QT when it's available is a bit odd. Anyway there are always different platform specific stuff that has to be circumnavigated/managed regardless of toolkits and programming language.
What the program actually does to some extent is using QT components/dlls unless they are part of the install, just because... I would think/venture a guess that the QT Web related dll's are use for some of "what the program actually _does_"
Well, we'll have to wait and see, if they change their minds again and reverse this unfortunate decision.

In this post here RedFox 1 stated that "The developers have already said, there will be no Linux or Mac versions. Sorry about that. But you can use it with Parallels on a Mac, it works great."
We all knew since day 1 that it would work with Parallels on a Mac. That's a big difference between a Linux version. Sorry about that.:LOL:

Last edited:
We all knew since day 1 that it would work with Parallels on a Mac. That's a big difference between a Linux version. Sorry about that.:LOL:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. This is most unfortunate.

Game over man. The only reason to live is now gone.:cry: Now to make preparations.

Side question, could you clarify what you mean by "That's a big difference between a Linux version"?

Parallels runs Windows within macOS, using what's called a Virtual Machine, do you know what a virtual machine is? You are using Windows to run Parallels, then a Linux program, in this case, Parallels to use Linux. You cannot install Linux directly onto a Hard drive and expect AnyStream to work. It's not a Linux version of AnyStream. You cannot achieve this without Windows and Parallels, it's not a pure Linux version. I would use the newest version of VMWare Workstation Pro. It works better for me with Linux. But Parallels is just fine.

Last edited:
And as I stated in my post you need a Windows license.

I would use the newest version of VMWare Workstation Pro. It works better for me with Linux.

You can also use VMware Workstation Player (free of charge for private use) - works fine here (y)

And as I stated in my post you need a Windows license.

You can also use VMware Workstation Player (free of charge for private use) - works fine here (y)
Yes if that’s all you want to do you can use VMware free

VMware free doesn't get you a Windows license.

If you want to run Anystream (or any Windows software) without a Windows license, I think Wine is the only option. So it's good to hear that the latest version of Wine seems to run Anystream well (https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/running-anystream-under-wine.81165/page-5#post-556690)
I never said that, the poster above me said that, and I do not even think he meant that. Where do you see such a thing about a Windows license. He said you need a Windows license to use VMWare. Thats all I see.

I guess I was confused about what problem or solution using VMware presented. I'll go ahead and delete that post (and this one) since it apparently adds nothing to the thread.
No worries, we all make small mistakes, it's fine. You don't have to delete it, it's fine my friend.

I just bought a Macbook and will be transitioning from my Windows desktop, so glad to hear AnyStream runs fine in Parallels :). Its one of the things I needed to check into this weekend. That was easy.

[Edit] Tested it this afternoon. Loaded Parallels. Loaded Windows 11. Loaded Anystream. Downloaded a movie. Zero problems.

Last edited:
Back