• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved Weird Windows issue (0xc0000005)

Regarding your idea of creating a script to apply changes each time a new .iso comes out
*Each time I install Windows on a new machine.
I am not talking about modifiyng the
.iso here, only removing the need of manually using the tweak programs each time and apply them by just starting the script. So only things I know how to do would be included, like adding a specific registry key. And I would have two scripts since some things don't apply for W10, but W11.

Always ensure you're using a trustworthy source for your original .iso files
I always download them directly from Microsoft.

*Each time I install Windows on a new machine.
I am not talking about modifiyng the
.iso here, only removing the need of manually using the tweak programs each time and apply them by just starting the script. So only things I know how to do would be included, like adding a specific registry key. And I would have two scripts since some things don't apply for W10, but W11.

I always download them directly from Microsoft.

My apologies for any confusion. I misunderstood your previous statement.

I commend your method of downloading .iso files directly from Microsoft. This is the most reliable and secure way to obtain these files. For added security, you can also verify the hash of the downloaded .iso files. This can help ensure that the file hasn't been tampered with and is identical to the file Microsoft intended for you to download.

My apologies for any confusion. I misunderstood your previous statement.
Not neccessary, it still applies for NTlite. That was the reason why I stopped using it, although it seemed to work. I don't want to edit the .iso every time a new one gets released.

This error code is common and can vary in many reasons as of why. Usually a memory issue or app settings. If you have had this issue a lot on same system with different OS's, I suspect by reading your statement, that you appear to mess with curtail system functions like disabling system security and W/U, etc and probably mess with things you shouldn't.

@DeepSpace

Hey man, sorry for not replying yesterday I was wrapped up all day helping a friend out of town.

As I have mentioned previously, I feel confident what the issue here is probably nothing you have installed but the customizations you are making. It could also be a combo of them where one steps over another. The difficulty is going to be that what seems to be going on (and I have myself experienced this) is that you make X change and 9 times out of 10 things work. So some time goes on and then later on you have an issue and then it becomes near impossible to figure out what change caused the issue because so much time has lapsed.

Can you list (either here or in PM) the customizations you are making? I have a feeling if we can look at a list there are probably 2 or 3 things that will stand out as likely candidates that can be zeroed in on.

Thanks for the logs. Sorry about being late to the party.....I guess the "exclude" log is log when it doesn't work and the anydvd log is the first time right after install when it worked? I have to ask if the "failed" log is complete....It looks wierd, no Load Image entry for Anydvd in that log.

If the log is complete it is not a matter of Anydvd dependencies, because it doesn't get that far. If so, process creation is terminated for some reason. My first thought is some kind of security software that hooks to the CreateProcess API (or malware sometimes do that as well). But I don't have a good answer why it worked the first time.

Are all your problematic applications 32-bit applications? Other things I can think of is that something is wrong with WOW (Windows On Windows)
You're running 64-bit Windows, right? Before process creation, windows checks image mappings and to what subsystem an executable "belongs" to (cmd, DOS, POSIX and whatnot that has or still exist). These entries I still think I see, but I'm not sure WOW works just by viewing the log entries.

I also saw some Prefetch stuff, but that is a long shot. My thoughts there is that Windows Prefetch somehow "restores" the Anydvd binary from Prefetch and that it is invalid. Clearing the Prefetch cache and reinstalling AnyDVD and test if it is resolved. But this is a really huge guess....Since the actual prefetch swap is performed in the system it isn't inluded in the filtered logs.

sorry for not replying yesterday
No problem

that you appear to mess with curtail system functions
but the customizations you are making. It could also be a combo of them where one steps over another
That is pretty much what I think as well, I might do something wrong or already start something without rebooting.

Can you list (either here or in PM) the customizations you are making?
Would need to look into the programs to make a full list, but I disable Windows Defender by using Defender Control by sordum.org that forces it (it sometimes re-enabled itself automatically even though I set it to disabled in gpedit.msc, so I needed to use it). And maybe because of that force, it sometimes (but not always) causes a specific issue, resulting in some (but not all) systems having problems. I now want to avoid it (also because Defender of course marks it as a virus, so I have to disable it before I can disable it (lol)), and instead only disable the Defender autostart instead of using a program. Maybe that already has the result I want without messing with any files.

Second, I disable the automatic updates (not the updates themselfes) in gpedit.msc, but as I then always manually search for updates and install them just fine, I don't think that is the issue. I only disable it so it doesn't start downloading them when I want to download something more important myself or even restarts when I don't want it (as the many reports by users that lost data show). Etc.

I uninstall Edge. It is not possible officially and maybe it is embedded to deep into the system. However, I do that on all devices, but I did not had to use Defender Control on all of them I think. But at least I didn't use it on the two laptops I wiped recently. So I think it is more likely that Defender Control makes issues, but uninstalling Edge does not.

If you want to have a full list, I can make one when I wiped Windows. Yes, the thing I found yesterday didn't work, but since it has something to do with security and I already thought Defender Control could be an issue, I hoped that this would be the solution. It was not. I also did chkdsk today, but it didn't help. MakeMKV seems to work now, but AnyDVD doesn't. And Nvidia still doesn't work as well. So I just wipe it now.

I guess the "exclude" log is log when it doesn't work and the anydvd log is the first time right after install when it worked?
No, you are completely wrong. Both logs are for the issue, but the exclude log is the log with a filter applied (shows only the failed stuff). The other log is the unfiltered log with also the working entries.

My first thought is some kind of security software that hooks to the CreateProcess API (or malware sometimes do that as well)
I don't have any, but it would be weird if all devices would be infected with malware. But if you read my above text, I also think it has something to do with security as I disable Windows Defender with a program that forces it.

But I don't have a good answer why it worked the first time.
I think when I start it immediately, the files couldn't get corrupted so fast.

You're running 64-bit Windows, right?
Yes

Are all your problematic applications 32-bit applications?
Hm, that might be something, and I haven't checked for that so far. AnyDVD appears to be a 32-bit application, but AnyStream is 64-bit and never had the issue. I also never had the issue with Firefox or Chrome, and they are 64-bit.
MakeMKV tells me that it itself is 64 bit, but the GUI is 32-bit. That would explain why AnyDVD could use it to decrypt stuff as it uses the CLI version, not the GUI. And I can't start the GUI.
I can use Steam itself, but have issues with GTA 4 I wanted to try yesterday, and Rockstar Launcher (that works) is 32 bit.
.net framework appears to be 64 bit, but C++ also has 32-bit versions. And when Driver Booster doesn't work, it always complains about the vcruntime140.dll missing.

I just retried Uplay as it also didn't worked. I can start it as before and see my library, but it then throws this error at me and I can't do anything. I have to terminate it in Task Manager. No, Ubisoft Support couldn't help me either, but I haven't send them MSinfo since I don't want them to know that I have AnyDVD etc.
2023-07-17 - 17-04-09 - %pn (%t) edit.png

subsystem
By talking of subsystem, WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android) did work, but then could not start anymore. The Gui yes, the emulator no.

Clearing the Prefetch cache and reinstalling AnyDVD and test if it is resolved.
I might try that, but not sure if today.

No, you are completely wrong.

Ok, got it. Then most of my last response went into nonsens :)

WOW is still interesting since it is loaded and just after that you have a number of thread exits and the process exit for anydvd.

Maybe we should pick something else than a Redfox software to deep dive into :)

Maybe we should pick something else than a Redfox software to deep dive into
Sure, but with MakeMKV working, I can only think of the Nvidia stuff and Uplay right now. I haven't tried to reinstall them so far, but when I want to run the Nvidia Experience.exe, it gives the unknown error as always.

Idea...After your next clean install don't do any customization, just install your apps.
Run the system as is for 2 or 3 weeks.
If no issues then it might just be the customizations.
Then try to determine which customization it is

Idea...After your next clean install don't do any customization, just install your apps.
Run the system as is for 2 or 3 weeks.
If no issues then it might just be the customizations.
Then try to determine which customization it is
I will do that on a VM or on the one SSD when it is empty. But installing everything with the possibility to trigger the issue again after two weeks and then having to wipe it again? That is currently not possible. So I will ditch Defender Control completely and be slower and more careful with the tweaks (rebooting in between instead of doing everything at once), but I will do it immediately after install. If it brakes, I can just wipe it again in 20 mins. But when I wait two weeks and already have the programs installed again, I would've to do it yet again, taking more time than just wiping it when nothing is installed yet.

So I will defenetly make a test to see if I can trigger the issue on purpose and then report back here, but not now. I don't have the time for testing right now, being back to business is more important.

I fully understand your situation, it can be very time consuming to find these. But if you have the possibility to test in a VM it is very easy to move between configurations with snapshots.
Good luck!

But if you have the possibility to test in a VM
Well, I would have to install the software first and set it up. It would be easier to just swap the SSD I have with my laptop and try it there.

That is where Macrium comes in. If something pops up and you can restore it back
3 1/2 minutes to back up, and about 3 1/2 minutes to restore, apps and settings included.
I retain the last 5 images just in case

so it's pretty weird, worth investigating.
Luckily (or now, sadly) this is the only PC remaining with this issue. All others already have been wiped. So although I can take a look if it is there as well, I am not sure if it would be a clue if this is the issue or not.

I will disable it and make a restart later to check if it fixes something.

I can't deactivate it, even when running as Trusted Installer.
2023-07-17 - 20-34-51 - Autoruns (Autoruns).png

But I guess "File not found" is not good either, since Esphyx mentioned WOW and 64-bit:
2023-07-17 - 20-34-43 - Autoruns (Autoruns_-_Sysinternals_www.sysinternals.com_(Administrator)...png

That's not generally bad .. windows looks up files in all PATH variable parameters, so it's quite common files are not found in the first checked location

Back