• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved Weird Windows issue (0xc0000005)

DeepSpace

I have a problem with Windows that is bugging me for years now, the error message keeps happening on multiple devices. First W10, now also W11 (my main PC). My PC before had an Intel processor, now I have AMD and a laptop also has it. So it is not limited to a Windows version or a certain hardware config. The only solution seems to be reinstalling Windows. So before I do that again (planned for the next weeks) I want to ask you guys if anyone has an idea. That way I can try if it's doing anything before wiping.
I don't think it is because I disabled the crappy automatic Windows updates or turned off Windows Defender, as the issue doesn't appear on my laptop. I first thought it might have something to do with SSD and Trim, but one laptop I wiped recently because of this error was on HDD.

First, the issue, then what I tried to fix it.

I can't start specific programs, always ending up with error 0xc0000005. Stuff like Firefox, Chrome, Office, AS, the WhatsApp App, MKVToolNix etc is working fine.
Now there is a new issue with AnyDVD, the Nvidia Driver and some more, that wasn't the case at the beginning.

MakeMKV has the usual error (that was always there):
2023-07-09 - 12-46-54 - %pn (%t) MakeMKV 0xc0000005 edited.png

When I try to install the driver or Nvidia Experience, an unknown error occurs.
2023-07-09 - 12-52-33 - setup (NVIDIA_Install).png

When I want to open Experience , I also get the 0xc code. Note how it says something about Node JS, but when I used the alternate Crunchyroll downloader that also seems to use it, it worked fine.
2023-07-09 - 12-52-32 - %pn (%t) GeForce Experience starten.png

However, when I click ok, it opens anyways. But instead of the interface, it just shows a blank background with this error:
2023-07-09 - 12-54-08 - NVIDIA_GeForce_Experience (GeForce_Experience).png

The only way to update the driver is to extract the .exe of the driver and import the files manually via Device Manager.

Now for AnyDVD. When I want to start it, I get the error below. Like some other programs, it works when I install it again and then start it, but once I close it the error appears again. And sometimes (for other programs) this solution doesn't work at all and they don't start.
2023-07-11 - 11-05-30 - AnyDVDtray (AnyDVD).png

When trying to start TubeDigger:
2023-07-11 - 11-14-13 - %pn (%t) TubeDigger.png

And when I want to use ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader Pro, it starts, but when I want to open a link:
2023-07-11 - 11-15-05 - ChrisPCTube (Error).png

Now for the things I tried to fix it. As I said, none of them worked and the only way seems to be reinstalling Windows.
-I should've used chkdsk and sfc /scannow already at the beginning of my search some (3-4) years ago
-re-installing the programs, works only sometimes as said with AnyDVD
-Since one program sometimes said that vcruntime140.dll is missing, I thought it has something to do with Visual C++. I recently completely wiped all Visual C++ instances, along with Microsoft .net Framework, rebooted and reinstalled. Nothing.
-As for Nvidia, I tried it with DDU two times, once rebooting normally (I think) and then once booting into safe mode before. You guess it, nothing.

I have added DxDiag and MSinfo, but had to zip MSinfo because it doesn't want me to upload it. I can already hear some of you screaming that IObit Driver Booster and CCleaner are the culprits, but I can assure you that is not the case. First, I use Driver Booster on my laptop and all other devides I manage as well and as I said already, no issues there after wiping them. And I barely even used CCleaner after switching to SSD since W11 has cleaning options implemented, so I won't install it again after wiping. Second, whilest installing Windows on the PC of someone, I already got the error that vcruntime140.dll is missing before I even had the chance to use it (when trying to start it). Maybe because I install Windows without internet so it doesn't ask for online stuff and automatically starts to download the updates before I can disable them. But now I use autounattend.xml to avoid even seeing the online account screen and other things, so this isn't really neccessary anymore. Even if this should be the issue, it would still be nice to know what exactly causes it and if there is a solution outsite of wiping.

Edit: I deleted DxDiag and MSinfo due to privacy reasons, but no one has looked at them anyway.

Last edited:
From your description, you have already tried several troubleshooting steps. Here are a few more suggestions that might help:

1. Check for malware: Even though you have turned off Windows Defender, I would suggest you to perform a complete scan of your system with some other trusted antivirus software to make sure that your PC is not infected with any malware.
  2. Run Memory Diagnostic tool: Faulty RAM can also lead to error 0xc0000005. Running the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool can help identify if there are issues with your system memory. You can access it by typing "Windows Memory Diagnostic" in the search bar and following the prompts.
  3. Check System Logs: Use the Event Viewer to check for specific system logs that might provide more details about the issues. To open Event Viewer, type "Event Viewer" into the search bar and select it. Then navigate to Windows Logs > Application, and look for any error events that correspond with the times you're getting the error 0xc0000005.
  4. Update BIOS: A BIOS update can sometimes resolve issues with specific programs not working correctly. You can check your motherboard manufacturer's website for any available BIOS updates.
  5. Check for Bad Sectors on Your Disk: You can use tools like CHKDSK to identify and fix any bad sectors on your disk which could be causing the error. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type chkdsk /f /r and then press Enter.

You can also try DISM - Deployment Image Servicing and Management
  1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator:
    • Press Windows key + X and then click on Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin).
  2. At the command prompt, type the following command and then press Enter:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  3. Wait for the command to complete (this may take some time). DISM will check your Windows component store for corruption and automatically fix any problems it finds.
After DISM completes, it's a good idea to recheck the system with System File Checker (SFC). This is how you can do it:

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator, as explained before.
  2. At the command prompt, type the following command and then press Enter:
    sfc /scannow
  3. Wait for the command to complete (this may also take some time). SFC will scan all system files and replace corrupted ones with a cached copy located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
Remember, these operations can take some time to complete, so patience is key. Once it's done, it's a good idea to restart your system and check if the problem continues.

In addition to tectpro's hints. Install the NVIDIA driver doing a "clean install" and not in upgrade mode. I had trouble using upgrade mode also a couple of times.

I will try your suggestions tomorrow. But although it was at the beginning that I used them, I am not sure if sfc and dism will now work.

As for the BIOS, my PC is up to date and the laptops don't even get updates as far as I am aware of. So I think it is unlikely it has something to do with the BIOS. And as I said, the other devices are working after wiping them, without doing anything to the BIOS.

RAM might apply to the two old laptops, but my PC is build with new hardware and I think it is unlikely that five or six devices have broken RAM. Yes, the one error message can imply it, but it didn't happen again after wiping them. So I think it is software related.

I will scan my PC for malware, but then all my devices should have malware or the issue should occur immediately after wiping and reinstalling the programs as I use them on all devices. But it didn't.

In addition to tectpro's hints. Install the NVIDIA driver doing a "clean install" and not in upgrade mode. I had trouble using upgrade mode also a couple of times.
True, I always selected upgrade when updating the driver by using Experience. But currently, I can't even get that far as I get the error immediately when the driver is done unpacking it's files. And Experience only shows a blank screen. So I will do clean installs after wiping my PC, but it makes me think this issue is caused by the other issue that also causes the other programs to fail.

If you use System restore choose a restore point from a date when everything was still OK before wiping your PC.

The fact aside that I don't even know when it begun on this PC, I said wiping (and re-installing Windows), not restoring it. I always do a complete re-install, never try to clone it (like when I switched my laptop to SSD) or to restore something.

I always clone. Saves a lot of time. But the prerequisite is that the installation to clone works flawlessy. The install of my desktop built in 2022 goes back to a Windows 2000 -> Windows 7 -> Windows 10 installation. I'm just too lazy to install all software from scratch and move all files. And believe it or not: No issues with the desktop.

In general: I use restore points and do backups weekly.

Well I save everything to my D: and only have a few things on C:, as Firefox Data (Bookmarks), but that is synched. Or Savegames, but I can find them by quickly going into the Documents crapfolder every program dumps stuff to even if it's no text or the three AppData folders (instead of one).
But I don't have that many programs installed, so quickly installing it (15-20 mins to Desktop with SSD, even on laptop) and then removing the Microsoft Crap and so on is more easy for me and cleaner than having to deal with old leftover tmp files.

If I understood correctly, you said that it has happened on two computers.
If so, it might be software/drivers related.
Try booting the PC into safe mode and using it that way, see if the error pops up

If I understood correctly, you said that it has happened on two computers.
If so, it might be software/drivers related.
Try booting the PC into safe mode and using it that way, see if the error pops up
I will do that tomorrow.
But no, it happend on over five devices already, with different hardware and different Windows (10 and 11).

I have been working in tech a long time. When you are troubleshooting a particularly difficult issue you don't begin that thought process by assuming certain things are not the cause because all things need to be considered at that point.

With that said, since this is going on over multiple machines clearly it is a situation you are creating through either app installation or system optimization/customization.

It was already mentioned but I think Event Viewer will help here. It probably won't tell you exactly what's wrong but there might be some log noise around every event that could point you in the proper direction. I would crawl through "Application" and "System" logs.

Ccleaner itself is not an issue but depending on how you use it, it could be. Cleaning up temp files and whatnot is safe but having it go into your registry could cause issues. I have no experience with IObit Driver Booster but if you are using it to auto install driver updates I find that creepy personally depending on how it does it.

Disabling Windows Update fully is very risky to me unless you just meant auto installation then that's cool. Defender is actually not bad and it rarely causes issues. My point for bringing these things up is because I have seen multiple situations in the past where when you do something(s) that Windows does not expect it gets wonky and weird things happen.

I think one of your apps is damaging your Windows install or some customization you made is causing unexpected results and wigging Windows out. I actually think the latter of those 2 is more likely.

@DeepSpace

I very much enjoy solving odd issues to be quite frank. If you want another pair of eyes to dig into this with you just PM me. I do have a number of tools and resources at my disposal that might help.

I have been working in tech a long time. When you are troubleshooting a particularly difficult issue you don't begin that thought process by assuming certain things are not the cause because all things need to be considered at that point.

With that said, since this is going on over multiple machines clearly it is a situation you are creating through either app installation or system optimization/customization.

It was already mentioned but I think Event Viewer will help here. It probably won't tell you exactly what's wrong but there might be some log noise around every event that could point you in the proper direction. I would crawl through "Application" and "System" logs.

Ccleaner itself is not an issue but depending on how you use it, it could be. Cleaning up temp files and whatnot is safe but having it go into your registry could cause issues. I have no experience with IObit Driver Booster but if you are using it to auto install driver updates I find that creepy personally depending on how it does it.

Disabling Windows Update fully is very risky to me unless you just meant auto installation then that's cool. Defender is actually not bad and it rarely causes issues. My point for bringing these things up is because I have seen multiple situations in the past where when you do something(s) that Windows does not expect it gets wonky and weird things happen.

I think one of your apps is damaging your Windows install or some customization you made is causing unexpected results and wigging Windows out. I actually think the latter of those 2 is more likely.
  • That is true. I am just pretty certain that it is nearly impossible that all devices have broken RAM etc. So I think it is due to customization. But at this point, after several years, updates for these programs and switching from one to a new one, there is pretty much no way to point it down anymore other than guessing. I will take a look into the Event log tomorrow, as well as doing chkdsk, sfc and dism again.
  • Yes I know that CCleaner and all these tools can even be harmful when used wrong. Since Windows now has a cleaning option built in, I barely used it anymore and wont install it again after the next wipe. As for Driver Booster, I of course always disable any automatic functions and only install them manually every now and then. Not only because older devices will get slower when having it running in the background without asking, but also because I want to have control over it and don't do things on it's own. That's why I also disable Windows Update. I don't want my System to self reboot while gaming or with an unsaved document open, or to use ressources when I need it to work. I always search and install updates manually after each patchday. Except the devices of my family, but they don't really use it that often so it doesn't matter if I only update every few month.
  • I disable Windows Defender out of two (three) reasons: I don't need it as I consider myself wise enough to not run an .exe that says "crack of famous program" and is only 500kb in size. Second, I don't want it to take ressources on my 10 year old laptop and third, it always blocks things it's not supposed to. Maybe it doesn't have the most recent blocklists after a fresh install, but it blocks normal programs and it's hard to recover them afterwards.
  • I have two theories: first, disabling the automatic updates right after reinstalling it so it is unable to retrieve important things and second running several tweaks without rebooting in between the different programs. I will change that.

Just do a complete Windows reset.
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Recovery.
  4. Under the "Reset this PC" section, click the Get started button.
View attachment 73006
I know of that, but I prefer to just wipe the drive and make a clean install as I believe that to be faster than waiting for Windows to preper all the files.

I know of that, but I prefer to just wipe the drive and make a clean install as I believe that to be faster than waiting for Windows to preper all the files.
As you wish. A clean install takes hours, and updating all the Windows Updates (update Tuesday, every two weeks) takes hours, I would rather do a reset and have a new OS with most of my files intact.

As you wish. A clean install takes hours, and updating all the Windows Updates (update Tuesday, every two weeks) takes hours, I would rather do a reset and have a new OS with most of my files intact.
Hours? That maybe was the case with HDD and when using a DVD to install it. But with SSD and the files on a USB Stick, it takes 20 minutes to see the Desktop. Yes, I have to install updates after that, but I always use the latest .iso with 20H2, 22H2 etc, so I only have to let it install the latest cumulative patches.
And I don't use many programs, so it doesn't take long to set everything up again.

But yes, I remember installing Windows 7 on my old laptop... The updates took ages and the SP1 or so didn't even work for a while. I let it run over night lol. No issue nowadays anymore.

• I disable Windows Defender out of two (three) reasons: I don't need it as I consider myself wise enough to not run an .exe that says "crack of famous program" and is only 500kb in size. Second, I don't want it to take ressources on my 10 year old laptop and third, it always blocks things it's not supposed to. Maybe it doesn't have the most recent blocklists after a fresh install, but it blocks normal programs and it's hard to recover them afterwards.

Instead of preaching about how custom solutions have custom problems let me offer you a brief example I experienced real world. At the time I was working in a large datacenter. There were complaints from the security group that some of their windows boxes were crawling. Long story short the drives were slow because they were super busy. Why? Event Viewer was logging EVERY connection/packet moving through the box. This was because the Windows firewall service had been disabled manually as it was not needed and for an unknown reason this caused all the logging I just spoke of. Simply reenabling that service even though it was doing nothing solved the issue.

My point? Even well intended customizations can have downstream effects you could not have anticipated.

Hours? That maybe was the case with HDD and when using a DVD to install it. But with SSD and the files on a USB Stick, it takes 20 minutes to see the Desktop. Yes, I have to install updates after that, but I always use the latest .iso with 20H2, 22H2 etc, so I only have to let it install the latest cumulative patches.
And I don't use many programs, so it doesn't take long to set everything up again.

But yes, I remember installing Windows 7 on my old laptop... The updates took ages and the SP1 or so didn't even work for a while. I let it run over night lol. No issue nowadays anymore.
I agree with this personally speaking. I NEVER repair or restore Windows unless I am trying to rescue a machine to get something off of it. I simply reinstall cleanly at this point.

Back