• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request Amazon CBR video quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you know how to get it. Please do so. Because in my opinion, it would useless here. We get the VBR stream and VBR is a better stream, better quality, and better picture.
Sorry, i tried to be respectfull the entire time, but this is just total bullshit. There is a feature, many people would love to see, so i suggest it in the forums for the devs to consider. The only thing that you've been doing is saying that it won't get implented without a good reason. And again, here you go with YOUR opinion about how VBR is better, like i said before, that was not the reason i made this thread.

I didn't even want to respond on your stupid claims about how VBR stream is superior, but here we go, because you keep falling back to it. It's proven with straight up comparisons that the CBR is superior in 95% of the cases. If you can't see the difference, that's fine, but stop replying on everything with VBR is superior. Again i didn't want to bring this up, but why do you think WEB-DL'ers in P2P and scene keep releasing CBR instead of vbr? That is because it's proven that CBR is superior in 95% of the times. Your claims about VBR being superior doesn't add anything to this thread, i was simply asking for the feature to be implented in Anystream, so users can decide which on they want to get.

Overall, VBR produces better quality streams, and on-demand video transcoding provides the flexibility to use VBR, so it's a no-brainer. Variable bitrate produces higher quality streams.
And here you go again claiming that VBR is superior without any real proof and again your opinion.

You are correct these are all just opinions, but the fact remains, no one knows that both streams are even available, if they were why wouldn't Amazon give you a choice, if this was so important. The fact is that they give you the best possible stream, why wouldn't they? The tiny difference is in the viewer's opinion. Obviously, they have chosen to implement the best one.
Both streams are availble for Amazon, it's a fact and i can show you the proof in private. Amazon does give you a choice, but not just via a user interface. VBR saves them bandwith, and like you say yourself, most users can't see a difference. I can guarantee you that if you made a straight up comparison between CBR and VBR, the CBR stream would win almost any time. They do not give you the "best" stream, they just give you the stream that's good enough for most users and saves them a ton of bandwith. The difference is not in the viewers opionion, but the comparison between the CBR and VBR stream, and like i said many times before, the CBR stream beats the VBR stream in terms of quality. Again, you keep claiming VBR is the "best" one, but it is clearly not, so please stop spamming the thread with it.

The original topic is about how one provider (Amazon) encodes their VBR vs. CBR videos and it is implied that Amazon's CBR is better quality which would also most likely be larger files compared to their VBR files of similar quality. It kind of morphed into a CBR/VBR general discussion which is like talking politics and people always disagree there. I would expect this request to be on the feature request list like other requests with the technical method of requesting the different formats provided to the Devs if they don't already know the details? The maybe we can end the thread for a while? :)
Again, i didn't create this thread to discuss which one is superior, but the mod keeps spamming it in the thread. I just want it to be treated like a real feature request, instead of a mod claiming that VBR is the "best" one.

I was not even aware of what stream they were providing, from this thread it seems that the few people wanted a CBR stream, so you say that's what they provide? That's great then. The few that wanted it, are getting it already.
Here you say that you was not even aware that they provided both streams. If not that many users would want a CBR option, why is this thread viewed more then 2k times then? I'm pretty sure that they are not here because they like your ridiculous claims about VBR being superior. The users that want CBR are not already getting it, because Anystream doesn't provide the users with an option.

To close my reply, i'm trying to get an important feature to be implented. If you want to know which one is better CBR or VBR, please grab both and compare them for yourself. If the devs are interested in this, feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Sorry, i tried to be respectfull the entire time, but this is just total bullshit. There is a feature, many people would love to see, so i suggest it in the forums for the devs to consider. The only thing that you've been doing is saying that it won't get implented without a good reason. And again, here you go with YOUR opinion about how VBR is better, like i said before, that was not the reason i made this thread.

I didn't even want to respond on your stupid claims about how VBR stream is superior, but here we go, because you keep falling back to it. It's proven with straight up comparisons that the CBR is superior in 95% of the cases. If you can't see the difference, that's fine, but stop replying on everything with VBR is superior. Again i didn't want to bring this up, but why do you think WEB-DL'ers in P2P and scene keep releasing CBR instead of vbr? That is because it's proven that CBR is superior in 95% of the times. Your claims about VBR being superior doesn't add anything to this thread, i was simply asking for the feature to be implented in Anystream, so users can decide which on they want to get.

And here you go again claiming that VBR is superior without any real proof and again your opinion.

Both streams are availble for Amazon, it's a fact and i can show you the proof in private. Amazon does give you a choice, but not just via a user interface. VBR saves them bandwith, and like you say yourself, most users can't see a difference. I can guarantee you that if you made a straight up comparison between CBR and VBR, the CBR stream would win almost any time. They do not give you the "best" stream, they just give you the stream that's good enough for most users and saves them a ton of bandwith. The difference is not in the viewers opionion, but the comparison between the CBR and VBR stream, and like i said many times before, the CBR stream beats the VBR stream in terms of quality. Again, you keep claiming VBR is the "best" one, but it is clearly not, so please stop spamming the thread with it.

Again, i didn't create this thread to discuss which one is superior, but the mod keeps spamming it in the thread. I just want it to be treated like a real feature request, instead of a mod claiming that VBR is the "best" one.

Here you say that you was not even aware that they provided both streams. If not that many users would want a CBR option, why is this thread viewed more then 2k times then? I'm pretty sure that they are not here because they like your ridiculous claims about VBR being superior. The users that want CBR are not already getting it, because Anystream doesn't provide the users with an option.

To close my reply, i'm trying to get an important feature to be implented. If you want to know which one is better CBR or VBR, please grab both and compare them for yourself. If the devs are interested in this, feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
I posted my opinions and what I see, but now I understand the whole reason CBR is so important. Now I get the whole gist of the thread, The Scene needs CBR so we should provide it for them. My bad.

Last edited:
I posted my opinions and what I see, but now I understand the whole reason CBR is so important. Now I get the whole gist of the thread, The Scene needs CBR so we should provide it for them. My bad.
After all i wrote, this is the response i get? What does it even have to do with what i said? This is (again) you just bullying users in the forum, who understand a subject better then you. If you don't know what you're talking about, please keep it to yourself and stop giving these ridiculous answers, which are completly offtopic and not helping anyone. Nobody asked about your opinion about VBR being better, nor you replying like this on every post made here. You're the mod here, and you keep spamming the thread with your opinions, instead of with facts or a solution to the problem. I even offered my help to the devs, and this is the only answer you can give? I'm sorry, but this is really disrespectful and i don't even know how Redfox keeps letting you bully users in forum posts like this time after time.

After all i wrote, this is the response i get? What does it even have to do with what i said? This is (again) you just bullying users in the forum, who understand a subject better then you. If you don't know what you're talking about, please keep it to yourself and stop giving these ridiculous answers, which are completly offtopic and not helping anyone. Nobody asked about your opinion about VBR being better, nor you replying like this on every post made here. You're the mod here, and you keep spamming the thread with your opinions, instead of with facts or a solution to the problem. I even offered my help to the devs, and this is the only answer you can give? I'm sorry, but this is really disrespectful and i don't even know how Redfox keeps letting you bully users in forum posts like this time after time.
LOL, why arent my opinions just as important as yours. I only posted what I see and read. I told you I understand why you are so adamant about getting a CBR stream, I was willing to leave it at that, but you keep on and on. Because I have a different opinion, you call that bullying? I think you are a little too sensitive. If I have hurt your feeling about CBR I am sorry. This thread is so obvious now. I wont bother you anymore.:whistle:

I don't generally like to wade into these unproductive discussions, but I want to correct something that's been said, and sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings:

The Scene does not "need" CBR, and The Scene here is being confused with the private p2p community. The way to look at it is that the p2p community discovered over time that Amazon's CBR copies look better than today's VBR copies, so they came to the consensus that it is preferable to have CBR releases. But here's the more important point I want to emphasize, before I continue: the p2p community has higher standards than streamers, because they have different priorities/goals. p2p communities have always valued hosting the highest quality copies available across different resolutions (480, 720, 1080, etc), which means that copies are constantly being replaced by newer copies that are better encoded or come from better sources, and there are clear standards or rules for determining if one copy is better than another. That's not to say that streamers (like Amazon) don't have high standards and don't work on increasing the quality of their streams, but they are subject to hardware restrictions (e.g. storage, servers) that don't allow them to follow the ideal encoding standards that individuals like you and me can follow. Not to mention that they don't have the manpower to inspect and assure the quality of all their files like us.

So, the greater point I want to make is that all the CBR skeptics in this discussion (most of whom have never seen CBR) need to understand that they are questioning the collective wisdom of the p2p community (consisting of many thousands of users) who value having the best quality files and have come to agree that Amazon's CBR looks better. Having said that, I agree that screenshot comparisons are probably not enough and we need to see the results of other more sophisticated methods for comparing Amazon's CBR/VBR encodes. Hopefully, those will be made available.

The reason why you see so many people requesting CBR is not because they belong to "The Scene" and "need CBR"; it's because they've seen the differences and they care about having the highest quality files. It goes without saying that RedFox is not obligated to offer the highest quality, and not all of its users are after the highest quality (those people can stay out of these discussions), but it is perfectly reasonable to want and request features that people believe offer a higher quality.

Last edited:
I'll just repeat my response from a few days ago: all of this is completely beside the point of the original post which was requesting Anystream offer both CBR and VBR download options.

So, the greater point I want to make is that all the CBR skeptics in this discussion (most of whom have never seen CBR)
Now how would you know that?
This program was meant to be for people that might take a vacation to a place where no internet is available and have some movie files to bring with them. Or maybe not miss a movie that was only on HBO for one more day. I personally have seen CBR and VBR files and think that there are a few reasons that VBR is better. That's my opinion and to be honest,, I could care less about the P2P community. The quality that this program generates, be it CBR/VBR is excellent. We do not discuss the p2p or The scene here as Ch3vr0n said. If you want to sit back and enjoy a video the quality of AS is the best, in my opinion, and many others in this thread think so too. So let's get real. Whatever file AS downloads is fine.

I'll just repeat my response from a few days ago: all of this is completely beside the point of the original post which was requesting Anystream offer both CBR and VBR download options.
Let's let the developers decide that.

Given that you've already acknowledged that the feature request is under consideration, the only sane answer is "at some point it might be there." What you then proceeded to do is advocate why it should take priority over everything else; are you surprised with the responses? Frankly, having watched videos from hmax, even prime vbr seems like a waste of bandwidth in many cases!

Incidentally, prime have been re-encoding their library recently

Given that you've already acknowledged that the feature request is under consideration, the only sane answer is "at some point it might be there." What you then proceeded to do is advocate why it should take priority over everything else; are you surprised with the responses?
When did I do any of that?

That's literally someone else.

Fair enough, the thread is so long that I repeating someone's point makes you sound like an echo chamber of another, here, I fixed it, better?

Given that OP's already acknowledged that the feature request is under consideration, the only sane answer is "at some point it might be there." What OP then proceeded to do is advocate why it should take priority over everything else; are you surprised with the responses? Frankly, having watched videos from hmax, even prime vbr seems like a waste of bandwidth in many cases!

Fair enough, the thread is so long that I repeating someone's point makes you sound like an echo chamber of another, here, I fixed it, better?
I don't care what the OP thinks or what else they may have said, I was just pointing out that for some reason multiple people, including a forum moderator, insist on arguing about topics that have absolutely nothing to do with the original post.

When the post engages in advocacy, what do you honestly expect? The request is under consideration, there's literally nothing more to it... There are other things that take priority, CBR is, quite frankly, fool's gold (well, actually the only place where it makes any reasonable sense is when members of the Scene take kickbacks from hosting services that charge per download bandwidth).

Last edited:
Now I get the whole gist of the thread, The Scene needs CBR so we should provide it for them. I get it now. Thank you Sally.
Quite frankly, the scene does not need AS to provide them anything as they have been doing it for years now.
As others have said there is a reason why they use CBR and people who buy AS want to rely on AS and not the scene to provide the best quality possible.
For you “Whatever file AS downloads is fine.” but then you could argue why not use one of the many screen grabbers? Can you really see a difference?
For me AS is about getting the best quality possible, so I’d very much like to have the option to get CBR/VBR stream and I think this thread is just about that:
Letting the devs know that this feature will increase the output quality and therefore make AS a better product. Don’t we all want that?
In the end people who like VBR better are not worse off with the CBR option and only the devs know how much work it would take them to implement this feature.

<snip>
For me AS is about getting the best quality possible, so I’d very much like to have the option to get CBR/VBR stream and I think this thread is just about that:
Letting the devs know that this feature
will ...

<snip>

If the thread was just about that, the answer was already in the first line of the original post, and unless one is an attention deprived child, being told "we're thinking about it" will always suffice. Or is this some new (nowadays common) approach of just having a few vocal "activists" who attempt to make as much noise as possible to create an illusion of a movement? You were told that it's UNDER CONSIDERATION, what more do you want, you had a chance to try the product prior to purchasing it, anything else on top of the product that you bought is literally developers' good will, and, in my personal experience, persistent nagging has a tendency of making that good will evaporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back