• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request Amazon/Primevideo CBR video quality? [Is Essential]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartinoUHD

Can you add option to select video quality in Amazon/Prime betwen CBR and CVBR?

Changing this variable "deviceBitrateAdaptationsOverride" to "CVBR,CBR" or "CBR"?

My instinct says that's not going to be possible. AnyStream is merely a downloader that grabs the stream as if it's served fun the provider and puts it in an mp4 file. Changing the bitrate from vbr to cq might require processing the video in a way AnyStream isn't designed for.

So before I add this to the feature request sticky, I'll await feedback from @Pete and/or @Prospere

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm not talking about processing the video, I'm talking about changing a variable in the Amazon manifest request that already has those 2 quality options on its servers, and in the new series the CBR is much better video than the CVBR.

Thanks

I know what you meant, which is why I said I don't know if it's possible and I'd wait on feedback. Then it'll get added on the request list with the proper status.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say "essential" but I do always use that argument with other... things.

@bartinoUHD Technically this is not a problem at all. Although, there may be other things to take into consideration.
@Ch3vr0n Could you please add this to the feature request list? Don't mark it yet, just add.

I would like to +1 this. I just bought the lifetime version of AnyStream because I knew immediately that it was a great app that I would use all the time, but the one thing I wish it had was the option to pick the CBR stream.

The Amazon VBR stream is often as good or slightly better than the CBR stream, but many times sometimes it's much worse. Sometimes the VBR is less than half the bitrate with a lot of detail lost in darker scenes, compression artifacts during fast action scenes, or worse in movies with a lot of film grain.

I will probably primarily use this to download 1080p, but it's probably worth noting that if you download 720p or SD that the Amazon VBR version can be awful compared to the CBR version at those lower resolutions. I suppose most people downloading SD are probably more concerned about filesize, but the CBR versions of those streams are still relatively small by comparison, with much higher quality.

Just my two cents. Thanks for making such a great product!

Not quite true. Devices receive device specific playlists, while we are removing device/user specific information from the request. Even if there are two AAC streams of the similar rated frequency, they are still different. One may be AAC-LC, the other AAC-SBR or AAC-PS with different channel arrangements too. Besides, I do not see how it is all related to the topic.

Not sure how goapy's comments are related either but am definitely in favour of being able to choose CBR as it's usually superior to the VBR stream so would be great to be able to choose the best quality available!

Not sure how goapy's comments are related either but am definitely in favour of being able to choose CBR as it's usually superior to the VBR stream so would be great to be able to choose the best quality available!
That's been placed on the list.

Not quite true. Devices receive device specific playlists, while we are removing device/user specific information from the request. Even if there are two AAC streams of the similar rated frequency, they are still different. One may be AAC-LC, the other AAC-SBR or AAC-PS with different channel arrangements too. Besides, I do not see how it is all related to the topic.

That was my point, that they are different. And that the wrong pair was being put together. Anyway, I've deleted my post since it was deemed unrelated to this topic.

Are you really certain? Because technically the opposite would make sense.
CBR - a lot of the time - needs to insert useless filler-data, just to keep up the bit rate. While VBR's whole purpose is to distribute the bitrate more evenly over the stream to peak at high detailed scenes (which CBR cannot)

@Pete CBR is better than VBR when it comes to live action/non animated content. This has been heavily tested by multiple groups in the 'race' world.

Are you really certain? Because technically the opposite would make sense.
CBR - a lot of the time - needs to insert useless filler-data, just to keep up the bit rate. While VBR's whole purpose is to distribute the bitrate more evenly over the stream to peak at high detailed scenes (which CBR cannot)

@Pete yes, 9 times out of 10 the CBR will be better than VBR.

Would be great to be able to choose either CBR or VBR so that the 1 time out of 10, it's down to the user to run comparisons to decide which they would like to keep. So fingers crossed it can be added (I know it's on the list already).

+1 for CBR support.
Maybe HEVC too? Personally I don't find it useful, but it offers quite good quality with smaller sizes.

When recording a live video feed to hi-rez .ts files, I've found that the CBR setting (rather than VBR) provides much smoother motion, especially in fast-action sequences, as others have said above.

So, regardless of the space "wasted" I always record with CBR.

I don't know though if it would provide an advantage if used for AnyStream downloads, which already look pretty smooth to me...

T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back