• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

REQ: How to combine LOR EE Blu-rays into one ISO

Out of the 5 english subtitle tracks, only one is the actual movie dialogue, the other 4 are for the 4 2 channel ac3 commentary tracks. The elvish parts are burned into the movie.

Well I just checked on my copy of The Two Towers and where they speak Elvish it's not burned in. Just used TSmuxer to make a video and audio only copy and when I play back at 00:52:07 there are no subtitles.

Well I just checked on my copy of The Two Towers and where they speak Elvish it's not burned in. Just used TSmuxer to make a video and audio only copy and when I play back at 00:52:07 there are no subtitles.

My copy does. Displays: Something's out there while normal English has no subtitles unless I turn them on.

It's all in the BD-Rebuilder settings.

My copy does. Displays: Something's out there while normal English has no subtitles unless I turn them on.

It's all in the BD-Rebuilder settings.
That's probably because it uses forced subs rather than hardcoded subs. It's a different subtitle stream that doesn't always show in BD rebuilder.

Actually on my copy if I tell BD rebuilder to just keep 1 subtitle track I then just get standard subtitles and lose the elvish only subtitles

Last edited:
I think the EU version of LOTR has forced subs but the american has burned hardsubs. EU is meant for more countries than the US version.

From what I can see on the WB store the US version has 14 different subtitle language tracks

Maltese (et al) Thanks for the post on combining LOTR. Sorry if I missed it, but what was your final ISO size without compression? :)

BTW I can't believe they are splitting movies on BLU-Ray now. I thought that was supposed to be one of the benefits of 50GB disks. So many D/L BD's these days are full of fluff to get them above S/L BDs.

Splitting the movies across discs to me is a GOOD thing--I want the best video and sound quality that they can put on there--that means low compression/high bitrates/lots of storage space required :) I havent been able to watch all the discs yet (who has!?) but on the two movie-only BDs there doesnt seem to be much significant in terms of the fluff.

From what I can see on the WB store the US version has 14 different subtitle language tracks

Here's the log from the last one I did, US version.

ROTK Part 1
M2TS, 1 video track, 6 audio tracks, 8 subtitle tracks, 2:07:40, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 36 chapters
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: DTS Master Audio, English, 6.1 channels, 24 bits, 48kHz
(core: DTS-ES, 6.1 channels, 24 bits, 1509kbps, 48kHz)
4: AC3, Portuguese, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
5: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
6: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
7: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
8: AC3 Surround, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
9: Subtitle (PGS), English
10: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
11: Subtitle (PGS), Portuguese
12: Subtitle (PGS), English
13: Subtitle (PGS), English
14: Subtitle (PGS), English
15: Subtitle (PGS), English
16: Subtitle (PGS), Portuguese
Creating file "J:\Working\yr_chapters.txt"...
[s12] Extracting subtitle track number 12...
[s15] Extracting subtitle track number 15...
[v02] Extracting video track number 2...
[v02] Muxing video to Matroska...
[s13] Extracting subtitle track number 13...
[s09] Extracting subtitle track number 9...
[a03] Extracting audio track number 3...
[s14] Extracting subtitle track number 14...
[a03] Creating file "J:\Working\yr_audio.dtsma"...
[s15] Creating file "J:\Working\yr_subtitle15.sup"...
[s09] Creating file "J:\Working\yr_subtitle9.sup"...
[s13] Creating file "J:\Working\yr_subtitle13.sup"...
[s14] Creating file "J:\Working\yr_subtitle14.sup"...
[s12] Creating file "J:\Working\yr_subtitle12.sup"...
Added fps value (24 /1.001) to MKV header.
Video track 2 contains 183662 frames.
Subtitle track 9 contains 1305 captions.
Subtitle track 12 contains 560 captions.
Subtitle track 13 contains 828 captions.
Subtitle track 14 contains 832 captions.
Subtitle track 15 contains 1227 captions.
eac3to processing took 8 minutes, 39 seconds.
Done.

The remaining discs are the same. It looks like tracks 12-15 could be forced, simply because of their size. When I looked at them though, it just showed cast/crew names while they spoke for the corresponding audio tracks.

The script I use did grab a subtitle file and muxed it into the final mkv for each part. It bases forced subs on a percentage of captions from the largest caption file, should it find no forced subs. I believe it is set to 35% right now. When I looked at it though, I saw what they were.

Maltese (et al) Thanks for the post on combining LOTR. Sorry if I missed it, but what was your final ISO size without compression? :)

BTW I can't believe they are splitting movies on BLU-Ray now. I thought that was supposed to be one of the benefits of 50GB disks. So many D/L BD's these days are full of fluff to get them above S/L BDs.

The mkv sizes containing video, DTSMA audio and chapter marks only:
FOTR 55.2 GB
TTT 56.5GB
ROTK 64.4GB

They really had no choice but to split them up.

Have no compression. Going off memory FOTR was around 60GB, TTT was around 62GB, and ROTK was around 74GB.

Splitting the movies across discs to me is a GOOD thing--I want the best video and sound quality that they can put on there--that means low compression/high bitrates/lots of storage space required :) I havent been able to watch all the discs yet (who has!?) but on the two movie-only BDs there doesnt seem to be much significant in terms of the fluff.

??? I have all the goodness of individual discs just combined into one movie.

Seems people are quick to comment based on zero experience/knowledge. You guys can suffer figuring out the rest of the fine details how I'm able to get the EE without loss of video or audio, and correct subtitles. Obviously you guys are more knowledgeable than I, so you don't need me.

I'm off to enjoy my 10 hour movie marathon.

Seems people are quick to comment based on zero experience/knowledge. You guys can suffer figuring out the rest of the fine details how I'm able to get the EE without loss of video or audio, and correct subtitles. Obviously you guys are more knowledgeable than I, so you don't need me.

Calm down. You COMPLETELY misunderstood what he was saying! He's saying that it's a good thing that these movies are coming on 2 discs so that you can get the high bitrate awesomeness. He wasn't commenting about your experiment to combine them. He was referring to the fact that the blu-ray's are split being a good thing to allow for higher fidelity. Someone else made the comment that they couldn't believe we're now splitting blu-rays given that there's so much space on them. In any case, relax. No one was saying anything bad about what you've done here and in fact everyone here seems to highly appreciate your work!

Calm down. You COMPLETELY misunderstood what he was saying! He's saying that it's a good thing that these movies are coming on 2 discs so that you can get the high bitrate awesomeness. He wasn't commenting about your experiment to combine them. He was referring to the fact that the blu-ray's are split being a good thing to allow for higher fidelity. Someone else made the comment that they couldn't believe we're now splitting blu-rays given that there's so much space on them. In any case, relax. No one was saying anything bad about what you've done here and in fact everyone here seems to highly appreciate your work!

I prefer your interpretation better. I'm so used to ungrateful know it all AVS Forum members. Triple Espresso has me wound up.

I prefer your interpretation better. I'm so used to ungrateful know it all AVS Forum members. Triple Espresso has me wound up.

ROFL! :) Seriously, I think everyone here completely appreciates what you've done. They were simply saying that it's good to have a movie that's so long split so that they don't sacrifice quality. Which is exactly your goal, but, you want them combined. So I think everyone is in agreement here that we like the fact that they didn't sacrifice quality on the originals, but, that we, as end users, want them combined for a seamless movie experience. :)

I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding Maltese--I really appreciate what you've done here. In fact I hope to do the same when time allows, and your details in this post will be priceless toward the effort.

I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding Maltese--I really appreciate what you've done here. In fact I hope to do the same when time allows, and your details in this post will be priceless toward the effort.

My bad. No need to apologize. Coffee wore off and am thinking straight again. I apologize for going off the deep end.

My discs have arrived (but unfortunatly I'm travelling) and I'm thinking of trying another approach by creating a MPLS (using BDEDIT) that will combine both....will post back in a few days...

A Possible Alternative

I created a couple MKV files (FOTR) and then dumped them both into MULTIAVCHD. Clipped off the blank part on part 1 and set the output to Bluray. It created a 57Gig Bluray file that i dumped back in to Blurip to create an MKV.

Plays perfect.

Like Yraen posted, the US version only has sub streams for 3 languages (english/spanish/portuguese). As far as I know the EU version has more and soft forced subs for the elvish parts.

Just seems strange that WB would re-encode the whole film just to add forced subs to the US version when they've never done it with any of their other film releases on Blu-ray. Would be interesting to know what happens on the original US disc if your playing the foreign subs

Just seems strange that WB would re-encode the whole film just to add forced subs to the US version when they've never done it with any of their other film releases on Blu-ray. Would be interesting to know what happens on the original US disc if your playing the foreign subs

I guess the same things that happen on all discs with hardcoded subs such as Slumdog Mill. The unfortunate people who want to use their own lang subs have them overlayed on the hardsubbed english.

Back