• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Guide for unprotected Blu-ray ISO for PowerDVD

bad news! bad news!

if anyone tried to play Blu-Ray backups (created with this guide) on PowerDVD 8.0 with its latest update (build 2521 Ultra) then they must have come up with the hateful dialog of "powerdvd does not support playback from virtual drives"!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

here is my suggestion:

DON'T UPDATE YOUR POWERDVD, THE previous VERSION SEEMS TO BE THE LAST VERSION THAT SUPPORTS ISOs MOUNTED ON VIRTUAL DRIVES!!

btw, here is the previous update (link direct from cyberlink):

http://update.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/patch/powerdvd/8/CyberLink.2217aU_TaRe38_DVD081201-06.exe

you'll have to use the LATEST Virtual CloneDrive for powerdvd builds up to the above.

just to make it clear, even PowerDVD 8.0 version 2217a does NOT support mounted ISOs, unless you have the LATEST Virtual CloneDrive build 5.4.1.1 installed.

I really hope that future updates of PowerDVD allow us again to play mounted ISOs...

Last edited:
if anyone tried to play Blu-Ray backups (created with this guide) on PowerDVD 8.0 with its latest update (build 2521 Ultra) then they must have come up with the terrible problem of "unsupported disk format on X:"

DON'T UPDATE YOUR POWERDVD, THE previous VERSION SEEMS TO BE THE LAST VERSION THAT SUPPORTS ISO's MADE UP WITH THIS GUIDE!!

btw, i am still looking for this update that we can use... anyone care to tell me which version is the latest that we can use with our backups??? pleeeeease!

This appears to be a problem with ALL Blu-Ray playback after upgrade to latest build, not just ISO. My build 2217 works with ISOs.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5593.page

OH GREAT!!!!!! After reading this great thread I learned how to rip and play the Blu RAY! Thanks....

Last Step
I downloaded the trial version of PowerDVD8 (which is build 2217) and all worked fine so I figured, time to buy. I download and install my 85 buck purchased version and guess what?! Build 2521!!!! No BluRAY for you. 85 bucks for nothing.. Oh great.... Thanks Cyberlink

Its clear that PowerDVD is going out of their way to prevent playback. First they shut off playing from a folder. Now they shut off playing from virtual disk. Its deliberate.

1. Did Arcsoft Total Media Theatre ever support playback from folder? It probably still supports playback from a virtual drive. A good reason to buy it instead of PowerDVD. Are those the only two games in town?
2. Is there any software that lets you simply select a folder and then it emulates a virtual drive from there on down? Seems like it would be easy for Daemon Tools to add this functionality.
3. I wonder if Daemon Tools can emulate in a way to avoid the drive being detected as a virtual drive. In fact, if its possible to distinguish virtual and physical drives, why didn't the game manufacturers all do so years ago? I mean that was a common use of Daemon Tools, to let you run copies of games. We sure this whole latest message is not a hoax? Say it aint' so Joe!

Its clear that PowerDVD is going out of their way to prevent playback. First they shut off playing from a folder. Now they shut off playing from virtual disk. Its deliberate.

1. Did Arcsoft Total Media Theatre ever support playback from folder? It probably still supports playback from a virtual drive. A good reason to buy it instead of PowerDVD. Are those the only two games in town?
2. Is there any software that lets you simply select a folder and then it emulates a virtual drive from there on down? Seems like it would be easy for Daemon Tools to add this functionality.
3. I wonder if Daemon Tools can emulate in a way to avoid the drive being detected as a virtual drive. In fact, if its possible to distinguish virtual and physical drives, why didn't the game manufacturers all do so years ago? I mean that was a common use of Daemon Tools, to let you run copies of games. We sure this whole latest message is not a hoax? Say it aint' so Joe!

I have no problems playing back ISO's of Blu-ray discs in PowerDVD. Just don't use DT, the SPTD driver slows down disc ripping anyway. Just install Virtual Clone drive and mount your ISO's in that. I'm using 2521 with no problems except keyboard shortcuts not always working, but it plays the discs fine.
To those who posted just before me, update your Virtual Clone drive software to the latest beta from the forum before making sweeping statements about PowerDVD not working. If you can't get it to work then you're doing something wrong

Last edited:
clarification anyhd settings

Adbear, your tutorials to get playing and copying for BD are invaluable, so it goes without saying your time and effort are truely appreciated.
But for clarification, I'm looking at a updated post for "guide to Unprotected BD ISO for PDVD" [7 & 8]-
I am using anyhd 6522, and just downloaded vclone 5423. to be current and goof proof, as its my first attempt.
1)BD settings in this version no longer has Remove BD+ protection option box to tick- explain-and confirm please.
2)using xp- will i need the toshiba dvd-hd udf reader.
3)I have been ticking only 'enable blu-ray support' and rip to hard disk hoping that to be the safer choice to avoid conflicts for mcpc playback.
I did see the post-for absolute future-proofing, "ripping to image yet keeping protection"
is the best bet. That way any glitches anydvd may initially create can be rectified on an update."
but an if/then clarification is in order here. e.g.'; that is not directly doable using anydvd hd choice of 'rip to image", as opposed to using your guide using imagbrn to be compliant and future proofed for mounting in vclone for pdvd AND be burnable for settop playback.
This is confusing, yes? It is to a 62 yr old that is finding it harder to jump through hoops that are being raised past my learning curve anymore. as such, this doesn't reflect on your useful guide, only that, the forum could be linked up more streamlined with 'I want to do" topics- all the BD snags were a non issue with DVD-HD; the good ol days all of a year ago.
kudos to all who put in there help and assistance, of coarse, I rely on all, for good advice, but could use some clarification and be sure this is the way to go for future playback assurance- needless to say, I like keep it simple and to the point,as your guide looks doable for the safest future proof flexibility. Cheers

To keep protections on the ISO tell AnyDVD to leave protections when you have it create the ISO. If you want to make a complete disk backup keeping the protections is the way to go. otherwise strip out the movie and audio you want and make an ISO of that (no protections of course but it wont matter anymore). Mount it with latest VC and enjoy, you need AnyDVDHD running for "with protections" ISO backup.

I have no problems playing back ISO's of Blu-ray discs in PowerDVD. Just don't use DT, the SPTD driver slows down disc ripping anyway. Just install Virtual Clone drive and mount your ISO's in that. I'm using 2521 with no problems except keyboard shortcuts not always working, but it plays the discs fine.
To those who posted just before me, update your Virtual Clone drive software to the latest beta from the forum before making sweeping statements about PowerDVD not working. If you can't get it to work then you're doing something wrong

What do you mean by "dont use DT" ....I

Do any of the set-top players have problems playing disc that have the protection stripped off?

Is it better to keep the protection and region code intact when you are just cloning a BD?

For playing back in set top players you have to remove protection otherwise the copy won't work (that's why it's called anti-piracy measures)

Imgburn shell integration

to create isos use following batch and .reg file. It will enable you to two-click iso creation from root blu-ray folder. Make sure to modify paths.
enjoy

@echo off&setlocal enableextensions
cd /d %1
for %%* in (.) do set MyDir=%%~n*
IF NOT EXIST "BDMV\AUXDATA" MKDIR BDMV\AUXDATA
IF NOT EXIST "BDMV\BDJO" MKDIR BDMV\BDJO
IF NOT EXIST "BDMV\JAR" MKDIR BDMV\JAR
IF NOT EXIST "BDMV\META" MKDIR BDMV\META
IF NOT EXIST "BDMV\BACKUP\BDJO" MKDIR BDMV\BACKUP\BDJO
IF NOT EXIST "BDMV\BACKUP\JAR" MKDIR BDMV\BACKUP\JAR
C:\PROGRA~1\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe /MODE BUILD /BUILDMODE IMAGEFILE /SRC "%1" /DEST "%1\%MyDir%.iso" /FILESYSTEM "UDF" /UDFREVISION "2.50" /VOLUMELABEL "%MyDir%" /CLOSESUCCESS /NOIMAGEDETAILS /ROOTFOLDER "YES" /START

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BluBuild]
@="Build Blu-Ray ISO"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BluBuild\Command]
@="c:\\imgburn.bat \"%1\""

Last edited:
hi Adbear

hi Adbear i got a question it might sound wired i new in this i got pat down with burning with clonedvd
but with this bluerays how would i go to get a backup copy (1:1 copy)
i got my home player that plays region A but got some disc that wont play on my player because it is another region code how would i go from there i like to have it codefree copy i
got right now all the updates
imgburn
anydvdhd 6.5.2.6
is there a easy way to do this . lol

hi again sorry i dont get it does the virtual clonedrive have to be on and it have to do in a special folder or the documents cam to or video folder . help more sorry

Still won't work for me

I bought PowerDVD for the specific purpose of playing BD isos on my computer. I have PowerDVD8 Ultra.
I followed Adbears' guide exactly.
I mounted the iso.
PowerDVD recognized it.
It went to the region screen, which I thought was strange since I had checked the no region box in creating it.
Then it went to a blank screen, then popped back to the PowerDVD welcome screen, with the happy girls surrounded by disks.
So I hit play again - this time it went to a Screen with the boxes - PLAY and RESUME. No matter which one I hit, it goes back to the PowerDVD welcome screen.
I tried upgrading to PowerDVD9 - when I went through the steps I got the "which region" screen TWICE, then the welcome screen. The when I hit PLAY it wne tot a screen with an image from the film I was trying to play, and the two options - PLAY and RESUME. Otherwise, just the same as in PowerDVD8.
I wrote Cyberlink, and they replied that PowerDVD9 will not play BD isos.
Any suggestions.
I have an AMD quad core with Windows Vista 64.
Should I try it with PowerDVD7.3???
Thanks in advance.
Carl

I play ISO's w/ PDVD7, & PDVD8, they should work for you

ocgw

peace

This works fine for me in powerdvd 8 but when i try to use in powerdvd 9 i get this errorcode while its trying to load the bluray disc. Does anyone know if powerdvd 9 supports iso's ?

I have no problems with any of my 300+ Unprotected ISO's in PDVD 9

I have no problems with any of my 300+ Unprotected ISO's in PDVD 9

man i wish they would play in my powerdvd 9 i am doing everything you have said but no go i get this error code that pops up after i select my region code

Back