• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Guide for unprotected Blu-ray ISO for PowerDVD

Why do people keep bringing up this rumour about BD-R/re playback on settop players, This rumour has been around since day one of support for BD-R/re and is just that a rumour, In fact some players that had no support now have it in newer firmware, And I'm sure if they were going to remove support for BDMV structures on set top players completely then the likes of Adobe, Sonic, Ulead & Sony wouldn't be producing Blu-ray authoring software that does just that. They'd be cutting out a whole swathe of the market who want to be able to make decent Wedding/Holiday Discs and can't justify the huge expense of a mass production run.
I also find it strange that LG and Samsung appear to be removing whilst Sony Still give full support. I wouldn't be surprised if the LG and Samsung players get it put back in in later firmware just like they did with the first generation players

I don't know what make an models my friends have I just know that using my method always works for them

Last edited:
Why do people keep bringing up this rumour about BD-R/re playback on settop players, This rumour has been around since day one of support for BD-R/re and is just that a rumour, In fact some players that had no support now have it in newer firmware, And I'm sure if they were going to remove support for BDMV structures on set top players completely then the likes of Adobe, Sonic, Ulead & Sony wouldn't be producing Blu-ray authoring software that does just that. They'd be cutting out a whole swathe of the market who want to be able to make decent Wedding/Holiday Discs and can't justify the huge expense of a mass production run.
I also find it strange that LG and Samsung appear to be removing whilst Sony Still give full support. I wouldn't be surprised if the LG and Samsung players get it put back in in later firmware just like they did with the first generation players

I don't know what make an models my friends have I just know that using my method always works for them

Its no longer a rumor, LG and Samsung HAVE removed this feature in recent firmware on some models. And when approached by customers on this issue, they are told if they want that feature then go back to the old firmware that supports it.

In fact some players that had no support now have it in newer firmware

I only know of the PS3 that did this. Are there others? As mentioned it seems that Sony and Panasonic are supportive of this. Both because they have camcorders that produce H.264 media. I also have the feeling that AVCHD (H.264 for Camcorders) on BD-9 (regular DVD) is somehow linked to BDMV on BD-R/RE media since it seems both options are gone on the LGs and Samsungs that have BDMV disabled.

In regards to the market for Home Blu-Ray movies and prosumer produced BDs. BDAV was intended to be the consumer format. Of course BDAV is movie only. Now BDMV can be used by consumers but its supposed to be on special media that seems to not yet be available. Insiders in the industry have confirmed this, so I would not be so sure of yourself that this is rumor only.

It may work now, but won't for much longer unless you use AACS approved media. So in the future BDMV may only play from pressed BD-ROMs and AACS approved media. Now I have no idea how they would determine an AnyDVD ripped blu-ray movie on AACS media, but why else would they be creating separate media. But of course all this confusion could have things end up where all players end up supporting all media to avoid the bad PR that incompatibilities could create with this complex mess they intend to implement.

Blu-Ray is going to have its work cut out for average joe adoption phase and all these obstacles will just make more people shy away from the format. So will see, but for now I would advise folks to buy a Sony or Panasonic and avoid Samsung and LG.

I just tried Spider-Man 3 and I get the following when I try and play it:
"There is a disk with unsupported format in drive I"
Drive I is the Virtual Clone Drive.
PowerDVD 8 Ultra 2217.
Using ImgBurn I was sure to use UDF 2.5 when I created the iso.

Any ideas or suggestions?

This is just a quick guide to help out those who don't want to leave the ISO's as protected ISO's on the harddrive and want them to work in PowerDVD, this is also a good way to get good copies back onto BD-R/RE to play back in Set Top players
First check that AnyDVD HD can decrypt the disc
Then chose 'Rip Video DVD to Harddisk' with the following options ticked
Enable Blu-ray Support
Remove BD+ protection
Prohibited User Operations
Disable BD-Live
Remove Blu-ray region code

Once it's finished ripping check the folder structure by adding in the following folders (even if they are empty)

BDMV
-----AUXDATA
-----BACKUP
------------BDJO
------------CLIPINF
------------JAR
------------PLAYLIST
-----BDJO
-----CLIPINF
-----JAR
-----META
-----PLAYLIST
-----STREAM
CERTIFICATE

Once that's done then using Imgburn choose 'Create Image from Files & Folders', drag in the BDMV and Certificate Folder along with any extra files that may be in your root folder outside of those two folders.
In Imgburn on the 'Options' tab set to UDF and 2.5.
On the 'Labels' tab type the name of the film in the UDF box
choose the destination where you want it to build the ISO and set it going.
So far using this method all my Images play back perfectly in PDVD 7.3 and 8 using Virtual Clone Drive to mount them with (I can't use TMT as it crashes my systems)

Just to clarify..."Create Image from Files & Folders" is the same as IMGBurn/Mode/Build...correct?

Probably, I just pick that option from the start up screen

Its no longer a rumor, LG and Samsung HAVE removed this feature in recent firmware on some models. And when approached by customers on this issue, they are told if they want that feature then go back to the old firmware that supports it.
Actually it is still a rumour. There has been no official press release to say it's being removed from all players and is still available on other manufacturers players and may well be reintroduced on those it's been removed from if the customers kick up enough fuss. Until there is an official press release to say they are removing it it's just that a rumour.
I only know of the PS3 that did this. Are there others?
Yes, around the time that the PS3 was given support quite a few stand alone players didn't officially support the formats either but it was put in in subsequent firmware updates.

It may work now, but won't for much longer unless you use AACS approved media. So in the future BDMV may only play from pressed BD-ROMs and AACS approved media. Now I have no idea how they would determine an AnyDVD ripped blu-ray movie on AACS media, but why else would they be creating separate media. But of course all this confusion could have things end up where all players end up supporting all media to avoid the bad PR that incompatibilities could create with this complex mess they intend to implement
Again this is just rumour, there's been a rumour about these AACS BD-R's for over a year now, and as of yet no official comment on them. Most people seem to just quote back to paidgeek's post back in June/July 2007 that they were removing BD-R playback back then, and here we are 18 months later with it still supported by most of the major manufacturers.
I'd have to say that if I'd bought a player that stated it supported playback from BD-R/RE's in the manual then they took the function away I'd demand my money back

I just tried Spider-Man 3 and I get the following when I try and play it:
"There is a disk with unsupported format in drive I"
Drive I is the Virtual Clone Drive.
PowerDVD 8 Ultra 2217.
Using ImgBurn I was sure to use UDF 2.5 when I created the iso.

Any ideas or suggestions?
What build of VCD? Are you deleting the mds file that Imgburn makes?

Virtual Clone Drive 5.4.1.1
imgBurn 2.4.2.0
No I'm not deleting the mds file that Imgburn makes. Should I be? (Update: I tried deleting the mds file and I get the same error message in PowerDVD Ultra 8.)

I tried ripping it using AnyDVD HD to iso and that didn't work either. PowerDVD says it's an unsupported format.

Update: This seems to be a PowerDVD issue.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5403.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4761.page

What PowerDVD version/patch are you using that works?

Last edited:
This is just a quick guide to help out those who don't want to leave the ISO's as protected ISO's on the harddrive and want them to work in PowerDVD, this is also a good way to get good copies back onto BD-R/RE to play back in Set Top players
Enable Blu-ray Support
Remove BD+ protection
Disable BD-Live

Once it's finished ripping check the folder structure by adding in the following folders (even if they are empty)

BDMV
-----AUXDATA
-----BACKUP
------------BDJO
------------CLIPINF
------------JAR
------------PLAYLIST
-----BDJO
-----CLIPINF
-----JAR
-----META
-----PLAYLIST
-----STREAM
CERTIFICATE

Once that's done then using Imgburn choose 'Create Image from Files & Folders', drag in the BDMV and Certificate Folder along with any extra files that may be in your root folder outside of those two folders.
So far using this method all my Images play back perfectly in PDVD 7.3 and 8 using Virtual Clone Drive to mount them with (I can't use TMT as it crashes my systems)

I notice when trying to make a backup of the Dark Knight that there is a folder created in CERTIFICATE named BACKUP- should this be included in the folder structure or should it be deleted?

Virtual Clone Drive 5.4.1.1
imgBurn 2.4.2.0
No I'm not deleting the mds file that Imgburn makes. Should I be? (Update: I tried deleting the mds file and I get the same error message in PowerDVD Ultra 8.)

I tried ripping it using AnyDVD HD to iso and that didn't work either. PowerDVD says it's an unsupported format.

Update: This seems to be a PowerDVD issue.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5403.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4761.page

What PowerDVD version/patch are you using that works?
I'm now using VCD 5.4.1.4 and now using the latest builds of 7.3 (4617) and 8 (4830 or 2217), but have no issues getting them to work in slightly earlier builds. Also delete the mds file as it's not needed.

As to the posts on the links, they probably downloaded the Deluxe upgrade and not the Ultra upgrade

Last edited:
I'm now using VCD 5.4.1.4 and now using the latest builds of 7.3 (4617) and 8 (4830 or 2217), but have no issues getting them to work in slightly earlier builds. Also delete the mds file as it's not needed.

As to the posts on the links, they probably downloaded the Deluxe upgrade and not the Ultra upgrade

I have the same "There is a disk with unsupported format in drive x:" when using VCD 5.4.1.1 and PowerDVD 7.3 (don't know build but was updated 02/01/09).

I have checked the directory structure and tried everything on this topic. The Blu-ray I'm trying to backup is Perfect Storm coded in VC-1.

Also, I'm using XP 64-bit which has been nothing but a hassle with backing up Blu-rays. The hardest bit was finding the 64-bit UDF2.5 driver to read them so AnyDVD could work (http://www.4shared.com/file/34040650/a7408fb2/MEIUDF-5301_XP-X64_EN.html - password: "DVD-RAM-Wikibook")

I have the same "There is a disk with unsupported format in drive x:" when using VCD 5.4.1.1 and PowerDVD 7.3 (don't know build but was updated 02/01/09).

I have checked the directory structure and tried everything on this topic. The Blu-ray I'm trying to backup is Perfect Storm coded in VC-1.

Also, I'm using XP 64-bit which has been nothing but a hassle with backing up Blu-rays. The hardest bit was finding the 64-bit UDF2.5 driver to read them so AnyDVD could work (http://www.4shared.com/file/34040650/a7408fb2/MEIUDF-5301_[COLOR="Blue"]XP-X64_EN[/COLOR].html - password: "DVD-RAM-Wikibook")

Hi trliang,

Q1: So the above driver is only good for XP-64bit or ALL 64-bit Apps ... for example Vista 64-bit!?!?

Q2: Do Vista 64-bit owners even need the above or ANY other Driver!?!?

Thanks,

G!:)

So when you set "Remove Blu-ray Region code", do you set it to your region, or automatic, or ask (and then say it's region free when prompted?) ? Or does it really matter ?

Thanks !

you set it to the region of the disc

Enable Blu-ray Support
Remove BD+ protection
Disable BD-Live

BDMV
-----AUXDATA
-----BACKUP
------------BDJO
------------CLIPINF
------------JAR
------------PLAYLIST
-----BDJO
-----CLIPINF
-----JAR
-----META
-----PLAYLIST
-----STREAM
CERTIFICATE

I have done that Adbear and the video and audio work perfect, but when I put it in my Sony bd s300 the audio is disrupted. One thing I forgot to mention is that I ripped hd video from my Sony hdr sr12 camcorder. What am I doing wrong

my guide is for Blu-ray disc ripping, not for footage you've made yourself, you'll have to run that through an authoring package like moviefactory or Adobe encore

There are only 3 regions, check them out on wiki or something to see which region applies to you

Back