• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cinavia, Feb, 1, 2012 and forwards

Lucky thirteen. Depends on the firmware your PS3 has, as well as how long you played the movie?

I played through the whole thing without a problem. I ripped a personal copy about a year ago and my PS3's firmware was up-to-date at the time. I'll try playing it again out of curiosity.

Not all the DVD versions have cinavia on them. Check for an AACS folder on the original DVD and you'll see if it has Cinavia or not. The blu-ray does for sure. At least region A.

Interesting that the regions differ. Mine is region 1 and appears to not have Cinavia.

Well... there's a loophole for the region A bd then...

Switch/mux/replace the audio on the BD with the dvd audio. Theoretically...

Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm sure the window will close eventually. Not much of a protection, if it can be circumvented so easily ;) Plus DVDs will be phased out given 3 - 5yrs eh? Maybe 10 tops.

I was amazed it was that easy too. But the implications are bigger than that. It exposes the watermark to identification. That's what I am looking at ;)

I thought about that a while back. Comparing the audio tracks via audio waveform should theoretically expose certain ranges. If one knows how to look for them ;) I was shot down. I forget the circumstances...

I do realize that the audio tracks on the dvd are somewhat different than that of the Bluray track. TRUE_HD for instance. I'm not sure how to explain, but there should be a way to extrapolate the differences regardless...

Last edited:
Please stay on topic...focus. I'll let you clean up the last 4 off topic posts this time.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Well, Oppo is removing ISO support (at studios request), I think that gives us a good idea they may support Cinavia.

Well, Oppo is removing ISO support (at studios request), I think that gives us a good idea they may support Cinavia.

I think that's a fair question at this point. Traditionally Oppo had been seen as a "customer facing, screw the studios" kind of company. However, this latest move definitely seems like they are being forced into submission. Anyone who suggests that they can't be forced by the studios to implement non-customer features should take note here.

What it tells me is that every player this year will have it implemented, and its the new front in protection. Id guess its thru the BDA. You cant be a member if you dont agree to certain things. not a member, cant make BR products.

That's because they can pull your license if you refuse to comply.

Exactamundo!

People think if its a pre 2012 player it wont be subject, I call BS. Matter of time. This hurts oppo, because other than stuff like SACD, it offers zero value now for me over my BDT210. Probably gonna sell it.

It depends on the license agreement they signed with the AACSLA. So, we shall see if pre-feb 2012 players will be forced to comply or not. It's not a given by any means.

SO if I read some of these posts right; is it irrelavant which Blu-ray player you have, even if it's an older one such as a Pioneer, Sharp, Phillips or others ... they still can fail to play back-ups? How does older firmware in a stand alone deck as mentioned above, how does it even recognize Cinavia if it has never been updated?

My old JVC DVD player plays my standard DVD backups where my PS3 won't play them ... I had plan to purchase some older Blu-ray players off CL or e bay but it sounds likke that will be pointless?

if it hasnt been updated then no it will probably not recognise cinavia for 2 reasons

1) it doesnt have the proper hardware in it to detect the signal
2) even if it has, it doesnt have the software (firmware) that tells the player to detect the signal

But there's only 1 way to be for sure. Play a disc on it that has cinavia in it. If it plays uninterrupted for 20-30 minutes (grace period in wich cinavia usually is detected), then you're safe.

So in general older players are safe, but they can always get a firmware update that enables detection but this will only work if the player has the needed hardware.

The older players sometimes need compatibility updates. BD-J causes problems as does BD+. If ALL of that is removed, an older player may never need to be updated beyond its current firmware. This has little to do with Cinavia other than a new firmware, MIGHT MAYBE POSSIBLY, add Cinavia checking for SOME newer older players. :) But that hasn't happened yet to my knowledge and we have no idea if it will.

They do? Do you have a source (link)?

EDIT:
Found it myself. Bummer. I believe I won't update the Oppo anymore.

Ok, that makes more sense, thank you guys for the that. However, but let me throw this wrench into it: Lets say I have an older BD player, plays my back ups fine but, I decided to buy a new receiver (Elite SC-57)... is Cinavia incorporated into new A/V receiver's?

I run everything through my AV receivers so ... just has me wondering.

Back