• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cinavia, Feb, 1, 2012 and forwards

Yes, exactly

Acknowledge Oppo is a great quality product and many DVD fans are willing to play the high price for their products, but when Oppo can't play ISO playback has the Cinavia block in the audio stream, then the Oppo products are no better than the lower end products. If the DVD consumer can't use the Oppo product because of the restructions, then what good is the high end quality product.:agree:

If the Oppo corporation is so strung out in building a high end quality products, then use their expertise and find a formula to end the Cinavia in the audio stream and GET AWAY with it, it would be certainly classified as a high end product with a premium price.:agree:

I disagree strongly with the "no better than the lower end products" comment. This is exactly what I was afraid of and what I thought would happen. Oppo is not to blame here. Removal of one feature and the *potential addition* of another does not change the quality of their products. It simply shows they are playing by the same rules as everyone else who is licensed. This cavalier attitude people have about companies being able to "get away with it"...how does that work? You disobey the aacsla, they revoke your player key and tear up your license agreement, and....what? You can no longer sell blu-ray players. Awesome! Oppo is a business and they have a license agreement that allows another entity to tell them what to do. They need to make money. They make pretty high end products for a fairly reasonable price. No other player in that price range offers the same quality and features. To put them in the same category as cheap knock off players because they are bound by a license agreement is ridiculous.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, exactly

Acknowledge Oppo is a great quality product and many DVD fans are willing to play the high price for their products, but when Oppo can't play ISO playback has the Cinavia in the audio stream, then the Oppo products are no better than the lower end products. If the DVD consumer can't use the Oppo product because of the restructions, then what good is the high end quality product.:agree:

This statement just shows that you really and truly have no idea what you are talking about, fast eddie, when it comes to why people buy Oppo products and who the product is catered to.

If the Oppo corporation is so strung out in building a high end quality products, then use their expertise and find a formula to end the Cinavia in the audio stream and GET AWAY with it, it would be certainly classified as a high end product with a premium price.:agree:

This statement is ludicrous for a number of reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely disagree that this decision to remove a feature that was *ACCIDENTALLY LEFT IN AND NOT PUBLICIZED* will have any impact on sales. It's a HUGE reach to say that Oppo's stock is going to tank. I have to agree with Drink here and say that you don't seem to understand Oppo and their clientele. If they end up having Cinavia, guess what, that puts them in line with every other player out there that's licensed. That doesn't change the fact that they have THE best quality product for the price. Period.

Indeed. I hear nothing but good things about Oppo. Just because they've discontinued ISO playback, that would NOT affect my decision for purchase. Cinavia detection might stay my hand though. But given all the praise they receive, I'd probably still buy one. If I had the funds anyway... :p

If people don't know how to convert ISO's, that's their problem. The Oppo no doubt supports a great deal of other formats ;) Will they discontinue Avi, MKV, Mp4... I doubt that very seriously. There are legitimate reasons to continue supporting those formats.

Is there anything in AACS or CSS licensing that states that manufacturers must not allow ISO file playback?

I'm curious as to how exactly Oppo was strong-armed into taking away a feature that benefited their customers.

AACS or CSS? No, these aren't in the .iso file.
But the BD license does have something, which might be applicable:

Beginning November 16, 2006: (i) New Production Format Models of BD-ROM Movie Players, and (ii) a combination of a New Production Format Model of BD-ROM PC Application Software and any BD-ROM PC Drive will be required to reject the playback of Media that (a) incorporates Commercial Audiovisual Content or other audio and/or video content which has been encoded in accordance with the “System Description, Blu-ray Disc Read Only Format 2.0 Specifications part 3” and (b) do not implement applicable AACS files as specified in “Advanced Access Content System (AACS), Blu-ray Disc Pre-recorded Book”.

Ask a lawyer, if an .iso image is a "media". ;)

Related to standalone BD/DVD players being able to play an iso loaded on a usb stick

If the player would play from an optical drive connected by a usb cable, then a U3 usb stick loaded with an iso might work. It's hard to find those now though.

Related to standalone BD/DVD players being able to play an iso loaded on a usb stick

If the player would play from an optical drive connected by a usb cable, then a U3 usb stick loaded with an iso might work. It's hard to find those now though.

I'm not sure why a stand-alone player would want / need to play from another optical drive. (unless the one inside it broke).

Did anyone ever consider that Oppo left that "undocumented feature" in there on purpose - that is until they got caught and made to remove it?

-W

Did anyone ever consider that Oppo left that "undocumented feature" in there on purpose - that is until they got caught and made to remove it?

-W

I've considered it, yes, and I expect many others have, as well. At the end of the day, whether the feature was intentionally left in or not it still doesn't really change the situation or that if/when asked/threatened that they would find themselves in a position that they'd have to remove it.

I've considered it, yes, and I expect many others have, as well. At the end of the day, whether the feature was intentionally left in or not it still doesn't really change the situation or that if/when asked/threatened that they would find themselves in a position that they'd have to remove it.

Correct.
But it might change some peoples attitudes about Oppo if they understood that Oppo tried to "stick it to the man" for the benefit of us end users - got bagged - and was forced to remove the feature under threat.

-W

Last edited:
Correct.
But it might change some peoples attitudes about Oppo if they understood that Oppo tried to "stick it to the man" for the benefit of us end users - got bagged - and was forced to remove the feature under threat.

-W

Fair enough. :)

That said, the whole claim made by some that Oppo's image is going to be tarnished is a load of garbage. I'm sure they'll have so much trouble selling their awesome products now because of that bad bad tarnished image. :disagree: People who know about Oppo and the quality of their products want an Oppo product because it's priced awesome for what the quality that it offers and the company has a reputation of quality and amazing customer support. The people making the tarnished image claims and such are not the people who either did buy the BDP-93 for the right reasons or would be likely to buy an Oppo product. People who do know Oppo and are real fans won't feel any differently.

Fair enough. :)

That said, the whole claim made by some that Oppo's image is going to be tarnished is a load of garbage. I'm sure they'll have so much trouble selling their awesome products now because of that bad bad tarnished image. :disagree: People who know about Oppo and the quality of their products want an Oppo product because it's priced awesome for what the quality that it offers and the company has a reputation of quality and amazing customer support. The people making the tarnished image claims and such are not the people who either did buy the BDP-93 for the right reasons or would be likely to buy an Oppo product. People who do know Oppo and are real fans won't feel any differently.

technically speaking, how does the bdp93 stack up to a denon bluray player ?
sent via android

technically speaking, how does the bdp93 stack up to a denon bluray player ?
sent via android

Which player? Denon is the USA has 5 Blu-Ray players listed on their website:

1. DVD-A1UDCI - $4,499.99
  2. DBP-4010UDCI - $1,999.99
  3. S-5BD - $1,799.99
  4. DBP-2012UDCI - $899.99
  5. DBP-1611UD - $499.99

Are the two low-end players as good as the Oppo? I don't know. The question is how well are they constructed and how well do they upconvert. What chip is used for the upconversion? I can't answer that question.

Oppo currently only produces 2 players:

1. BDP-95 - $999
  2. BDP-93 - $499

The quality of both Oppo models is superb. I expect there to be huge performance differences between the two low-end sub-$1000 players and those insane ones from Denon.

Last edited:
Hi all been reading slysoft forums for years and this last few mainly the cinavia threads..

Could cinavia be on all/most discs already??,wouldnt it be plauseable that other non cinavia discs have a different version of cinavia that we dont know about??and when this rolls out major firmware upgrade for all players and previous what we thought non cinavia kicking in??

Last edited:
Pablo, I'm far from an expert, but I highly doubt that is the case. The Cinavia watermark is either there or it isn't.

I'm looking into other solutions for Cinavia. I recently got a laptop with a blu-ray burner. It's my understanding that these drives are basically region free, so you just need the right software that will play any region discs. AnyDVD HD will do that, correct? Not all regions of a certain movie have Cinavia, so for example, if the region A release is Cinavia infected, I could just import the Cinavia free region B disc, use AnyDVD HD to create a media file or a region free blu-ray free from Cinavia.

Last edited:
Better yet get hold of commercial player which doesn't support cinavia while you can and don't upgrade it. Use anydvd for decryption and it will work out just fine.

So for those that haven't been following the PDVD12 thread, the timing of the release wasn't exactly "coincidental". It was released without Cinavia. You can bet that some of the first updates will add it in there. But for now, it's Cinavia free. I know what my plan is for it. ;)

They're actually attempting to enable cinavia detection on a PC software like Powerdvd 12? L-O-L...

I don't get why people are shocked by this. It's a commercial, LICENSED player. It will be required, just as Corel and ArcSoft will be, to follow the stipulations of their license agreement. Since the title of this thread is that all licensed players sold after Feb 2012 are required to contain Cinavia, well, it doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. :) Just because it's a software player doesn't give it special non-compliance rights. :D The PS3 is a software player, technically, too.

Back