• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cinavia, Feb, 1, 2012 and forwards

UPDATE:

Sony BDP-S580 has no Optical Output connector which I required. Had to get this exchanged for the dearest model - BDP-S780 to get this functionality. Hoping to god Cinavia is not active on this new BD Player, and will disable wireless functionality / firmware upgrades. I just hope the BD discs dont "upgrade" the player without my knowledge. Might have to view the BD folder structure for any folders that could update the firmware.

Last edited:
Total Newb here. I just received my first BD player for Christmas (Panasonic DMP-BDT210) and I have ONE BluRay movie (Pirates of the Caribbean 4). But I have been backing up my SD movies using the free version of DVDFab for several years. I looked at SlySoft but back then free was good so I continued with DVDFab and the results have been more than satisfactory. Now, with the complexity of HD, I'm looking at SlySoft again from a quality and reliability standpoint. I had never heard of Cinavia until I came back to this site to see what SlySoft was going to cost me. Consequently I have read this thread from post 1 and feel I understand how Cinavia does its magic.

Just today I installed a new BD-R writer, a Plextor PX-LB950SA. They're more expensive than the average writer but I've always liked Plextor and this one got good reviews. When I installed it the standard (old) drivers were installed from Windows. I went to the Plextor site to download the latest firmware (1.06) which is dated, I think, 11-7-2011. I've been rather long winded but my question is; does anyone know if this firmware is uninfected?

Thanks,
Rich

OOPS! Like I said. Total Newb. What I really need to know is the latest and safest firmware for my Panasonic. From what I read Cinavia does not affect the writer. Right?

Rich

Thanks for the response. Now to get down to learning the availble software and how to use it.

Thanks again,
Rich

Hi all

Well here is what I did. Used AnyDVD HD to finallly make a BD Standalone playable BD backup of The Green Lantern onto Verbatim BD-DL media with UDF 2.50 chosen as a physical partition. I have Sony BDP-S780 Blu-Ray player, which I have left the factory default firmware installed and turned off internet connection as well. I inserted the disc and all played well, fast forwarded to 18 minutes and let if play to 25 minutes, no Cinavia issues at all. Also note, my amp (Logitech X-5300's) do not support 7.1 DTS, so the audio is downcoded to 5.1, which I verified via the "Display" function on the BD Remote which states "English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1" during playback via optical out from the BD player to my sub / speakers. HDMI is used only for video.

Current Firmware (Default): M07.R.0263
Latest Firmware (put onto a CD-R but not upgraded) M07.R.0579 (Improvement on BRAVIA Internet Video connectivity) - but I use a Samsung TV.

Im too afraid to update it just in case Cinavia rears its ugly head. Once you upgrade, there is no going back.

SUMMARY: No Cinavia issues so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, and I hope you don't mind my summarizing your post.
Glad to hear it's working for you! :)

PS. It doesn't matter what the audio system is, if the player gets infected with Cinavia, the player will detect it and trigger an error. There was an early audio bypass that worked on the PS3 for one version, but that hole was plugged.

Should I even contemplate upgrading the firmware? Considering it only states it fixes bravia sync issues which are not applicable to myself, is there any point. Im just concerned it my add cinavia without mentioning it.

I'm too afraid to update it just in case Cinavia rears its ugly head. Once you upgrade, there is no going back.

See? You already know the answer.
Never trust Sony - ever.

-W

Hi all

I inserted the disc and all played well, fast forwarded to 18 minutes and let if play to 25 minutes, no Cinavia issues at all.

I think you have to let the disc play at regular speed for the first 20-25 minutes. If you fast forward, Cinavia is not detected until about 20 minutes from when you stop fast forwarding. That's how it worked with my mp4 file of Colombiana. I fast forwarded through the first 45 minutes and then it let me play it for 20 minutes without droppin' the hammer.

I recently picked up a WD Live media player since i used to mostly use a PS3 for streaming back-up files. Tested it on the Cinavia infected mp4 file of Colombiana and it played the whole thing without a hitch. Jolly good.

I have some major concerns about this:

Firstly I legally purchase Dvds and Blu-rays, I back them up to my server and then store the discs in a cupboard away from harms reach. I then stream these to various players across the house. As far as im aware this is perfectly legal and as governed by the fair usage act I have a right to do so.

As some of these players have built in blu-ray players will they no longer be able to play my backed up media? If so what happens when a disc gets worn out or damaged, am I entitled to a free replacement as my right to back up my purchased films has been effectivley denied? Is it legal to deny the rights goverend by the fair usage act since it is no longer possible to backup blu-rays without removing copyright protection. Here in the Uk I have herd stories of prisoners sueing prison guards for not giving them drugs (forcing them to go cold turkey) as it breaches their basic human rights. To me this is a stronger case for breach of someones rights.

What happens to home blurays I have made of priceless memories that may have had a film like salt playing in the background, I guess these will no longer play either? Surely this is a step to far and breaches some basic rights( i have very limited legal knowledge)

If the above is true what other options do I have to continue streaming media all over the house ( its not practicle to have 300+ dvds/blurays on show and being used all the time) can I no longer use devices with blu-ray players built in?

What really annoys me about it is this, I have every sympathy for film companies and authoritys trying to reduce their losses, but they seem to presume that because someone downloaded a film illegally they would have happily paid full retail price for it were that download not availible. I dont belive that to be true. So what we are left with is that this will eventually be cracked, just like everything else before it, (i'm unaware of anything with high enough demand that hasnt been cracked) I will be left with a choice I can either continue to purchase blu-rays legally but then not be able to back them up. Or pirate them and then be treated to a far superior experience ( no loading screens/previews etc)

In short I really hope you guys can beat this soon. It will do nothing to stop pirates when it is broken, it will only serve as a huge inconvienience to those who have legally purchased it. It baffles me that this is how the authorities choose to reward those that opt to pay a decent amount of money to support those making the films.

As a side note, what happens to companies like kaleidescape (a system mine was modelled on) I realise that all blu-rays must be in the system, but wont thier players have to have cinavia on them and therefore wont be able to play the new dvds on the hard drives (with cinavia on them) ?

In the United States, the fair use law has had several amendments. It currently allows an exemption so you can legally circumvent copy protection to create a back-up copy of owned discs for personal use. Now, in my opinion, Cinavia violates the fair use law by not allowing the customer to make a fully functional back-up copy of a disc that they own. Hopefully, consumers will sue big time and win.

The HTPC cannot be subdued. Not fully anyway. One door closes... and another opens. They just don't seem to understand. If certain programmers were to stop updating their software for BD backups, what do you think would happen? Another would take his/her place ;)

Cinavia is not God! Yes, it's a tough nut to crack. However, I refuse to believe it's impossible to thwart!

:bowdown:
renard_1.png.90x120_q85.png

Share what you know

In the United States, the fair use law has had several amendments. It currently allows an exemption so you can legally circumvent copy protection to create a back-up copy of owned discs for personal use.

Please enlighten us where that exemption is or point me to it.
Thanks.

Please enlighten us where that exemption is or point me to it.
Thanks.

Whoops, my mistake. The way the source was written, it appeared to have passed, but it was only introduced. The bill is sitting in the House of Rep where it will probably die.

I think you have to let the disc play at regular speed for the first 20-25 minutes. If you fast forward, Cinavia is not detected until about 20 minutes from when you stop fast forwarding. That's how it worked with my mp4 file of Colombiana. I fast forwarded through the first 45 minutes and then it let me play it for 20 minutes without droppin' the hammer.

I recently picked up a WD Live media player since i used to mostly use a PS3 for streaming back-up files. Tested it on the Cinavia infected mp4 file of Colombiana and it played the whole thing without a hitch. Jolly good.

CORRECTION: I let the movie play for 20 to 25 minutes normallly - no Cinavia message or issues.

Not to worried myself, will be turning my old desktop into a media center PC soon.

Just read through every page of this thread and found it to be very informative. I checked out wikipedia and according to them, The Social Network DVD has Cinavia. I played a DVD rip of The Social Network just fine on the PS3. Does Cinavia work differently on DVD or is wikipedia's list inaccurate?

Lucky thirteen. Depends on the firmware your PS3 has, as well as how long you played the movie?

Not all the DVD versions have cinavia on them. Check for an AACS folder on the original DVD and you'll see if it has Cinavia or not. The blu-ray does for sure. At least region A.

Back