• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cinavia, Feb, 1, 2012 and forwards

Here in the US the law speaks out of 2 sides of its mouth. :(

On one hand you are allowed to make a backup of purchased media.
On the other mouth - you are not allowed to circumvent copy protections.

-W

PDVD11 Update?

So, I just noticed that my PDVD 11 gave me notice that there was an update waiting for it, has anyone tested this patch, cause I'm sure NOT going to just risk it this close to the deadline? ..Unless someone has tested it that is? I have a backup, but who wants to go to the trouble? This is going to be so nerve racking!

If you mean the patch that was released last week I tested it. No Cinavia.

Well, to tell you the truth, I can't say for sure when it was released? I only know that I have version 11.0.2211.53 can you tell me what version you tested?

Thanks
Paul

CyberLink.v2408_r71492_Ul_DVD111208-03

That's the version I tested. I grabbed it on 12/14.

I'm still using PowerDVD 4.0 - you can stop laughing now. :D

-W

Hi all

Damn this thread has exploded over the last few days. First I hate Verance and Cinavia (just wanted to make that very clear), Secondly I trust James and Co will attack this and crack this when they can with CloneBD or equivalent. Thirdly, maybe I should stock up on a couple of "virus free" BD players and never update their firmware. This way I can use my laptop with a BD burner to do testing on these BD players and publish the results.

On a positive note this Cinavia is going to boost sales of older models of hardware, which can never be a bad thing. I too question whether this protection method is indeed "inaudible". Hell, I would use a microphone or even an oscilloscope to detect frequencies and register the measurements. Seems crude but it gets information in case we cannot hear it.

All electrical devices transmit radio frequencies, just need a device that can detect it and measure it. As for the Audio watermark, could this be cloned onto a backup disc from the original so it "thinks" its genuine and plays as normal? This will be cracked, its just a matter of a big team of people helping each other out, and guys count me in. Im going to keep a database of Infected movies as a start.

:)

As for the Audio watermark, could this be cloned onto a backup disc from the original so it "thinks" its genuine and plays as normal?

That's not how Cinavia works. It's cloned quite nicely on every backup, no matter if you reencode or not. That's kinda the problem. :) The watermark instructs the player to check if the media you're playing is a trusted source. If it's not, you get "cinavia'd". (I think I just invented a new term. LOL!) What you want is to remove the Cinavia signal so that the player doesn't bother checking for the trusted source.

That's not how Cinavia works. It's cloned quite nicely on every backup, no matter if you reencode or not. That's kinda the problem. :) The watermark instructs the player to check if the media you're playing is a trusted source. If it's not, you get "cinavia'd". (I think I just invented a new term. LOL!) What you want is to remove the Cinavia signal so that the player doesn't bother checking for the trusted source.

I can see this is going to take a fair bit of work, especially James and Co. etc but I am sure their effort will be well rewarded for all BD owners and users. If we could get a disgruntled Cinavia employee to leak the specs and inner workings, but I'm sure with the brains / intelligence on here this will be cracked. The best thing us users can do is keep an eye out for any Cinavia titles and get as much information as possible.

I can see this is going to take a fair bit of work, especially James and Co. etc but I am sure their effort will be well rewarded for all BD owners and users. If we could get a disgruntled Cinavia employee to leak the specs and inner workings, but I'm sure with the brains / intelligence on here this will be cracked. The best thing us users can do is keep an eye out for any Cinavia titles and get as much information as possible.

The problem with Cinavia is that it has the ability to evolve. So if there are successful attack vectors against it, they will analyze them and adjust. The Cinavia detection code can be upgraded and new signals added. So this will be an awesome cat and mouse game. Yey. I choose not to play. And by that, I mean, removing a piece off the board completely. The player. If I continue to use my backup and playback method (rip to MKV, play with J River MC17), I won't be affected by this nonsense. That, IMO, is the way to go.

The problem with Cinavia is that it has the ability to evolve. So if there are successful attack vectors against it, they will analyze them and adjust. The Cinavia detection code can be upgraded and new signals added. So this will be an awesome cat and mouse game. Yey. I choose not to play. And by that, I mean, removing a piece off the board completely. The player. If I continue to use my backup and playback method (rip to MKV, play with J River MC17), I won't be affected by this nonsense. That, IMO, is the way to go.

My concern is that Cinavia will not be big-time effective unless the content owners can somehow force it into media players despite whether they are BD compliant or not....Just for the heck of it I checked some torrent sites and some of their forums are abuzz with Cinavia talk, Can't say I'm sorry for them....

Verance AND the studios could give media player mfgs. incentives, etc.....

This is a nasty piece of DRM and adaptable at that(as you said)....In my case I'm not concerned because I am using current online services to legally download my HD films.....It's a good fit for me, may not be the same for everyone...

oh it will be effective mate, till it's cracked at some point. It's in the Blu-ray standard. Any licensed player HAS to implement cinavia detection at some stage or get their license revoked and possibly further action.

oh it will be effective mate, till it's cracked at some point. It's in the Blu-ray standard. Any licensed player HAS to implement cinavia detection at some stage or get their license revoked and possibly further action.

Agreed, but what about the second part of what I said, concerning incentives or some other coercion....Media players are starting to flood the market from China, some with torrent capability, you don't think the content owners won't look at that as a threat? And just to think, Ultraviolet has torrenting as a possible super-distribution method.....As was said earlier, the cat and mouse game will be awesome, in my view it will be epic....We shall see where this Cinavia thing goes.....It's gonna be fun........

Enforced, required, LOL! Wasn't is supposed to be required in 2010? And now here we are a year later. Don't get me wrong though, I'm concerned, but not too concerned. HTPC's are awesome. And they can't put a leash on Media player classic! I suspect I'll be building a few machines this year.

I eagerly await how this unfolds over the next few months.

I just told the wife it is time to build a HTPC. Then told her we could drop our DVR service too if I built one as well.

Yes, to worry about it is useless, long overdue to take action against Cinavia.

When Cinavia gets into popcorn hour,dune, and xstreamer and software playing and effects a huge amount of DVD fans, and is knocking at your door step, lets see if you sing the same tune.:agree:

I will be. Cause it's not going to affect the software I use.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Just a thought: Should the focus be perhaps on the other end, the firmware. Maybe a Slysoft for media players. Can firmware or the updates be tickeld in a way?

Back