• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cinavia, Feb, 1, 2012 and forwards

Not that easy. But for those with a HTPC Slysoft is working on a player that will be a part of CloneBD. To my knowledge there won't be a slyplayer alone.

I would expect those Cinavia protected/infected players to also be able to play BD-R discs with your personal homevideo's on them that do not have a Cinavia watermark.

offcourse they will, that's what all current players do. The cinavia signal is added by movie studios to "prevent" or scare of movie copying. This topic / discussion is about the fact that the standalone player MANUFACTURERS (thus not movie studio's) have to start adding the needed HARDWARE COMPONENTS in the PLAYER to detect the cinavia signal in the disc. :) Nothing else

offcourse they will, that's what all current players do. The cinavia signal is added by movie studios to "prevent" or scare of movie copying. This topic / discussion is about the fact that the standalone player MANUFACTURERS (thus not movie studio's) have to start adding the needed HARDWARE COMPONENTS in the PLAYER to detect the cinavia signal in the disc. :) Nothing else

Will it all be through HARDWARE COMPONENTS or firmware or a mixture of both? If we have a good player will we be turning off firmware updates or just hope for the best?

if i remember this right it will be a mixture of hardware and firmware. The PS3 already had the needed hardware on board, it only lacked the proper software (firmware) to identify the signal. Once sony had done this in version 3.01 via a mandatory firmware upgrade, it was game over for the ps3 owners to play cinavia discs on it.

Eventually there will be a way arround this but for now the only way to avoid the cinavia messages it to play infected discs on a player that doesnt recognise the signal.

So if you have a non-infected player now, would you take a chance and NOT allow updatews to the firmware?

There's no reason to update firmware unless the player tells you it needs a firmware to play the disc, or its upgrades to improve disc playback of eg other media. It's always handy to keep a copy of the previous version you know does not have cinavia detection on standby, just in case the updated firmware does have it.

It's always handy to keep a copy of the previous version you know does not have cinavia detection on standby, just in case the updated firmware does have it.

As covered earlier in this thread. Several players do not allow firmware regression - once you update, you are screwed.

-W

I am wondering since my newest Blu-Ray player (2 yearss old) is connected via wireless if it will do its own firmware upgrade. I guess what I am thinking out loud about is can the manufacturers PUSH a firmware upgrade or just notify you it is available. It might be interesting to see what happens 2/1/12. Just another way big brother is watching over you.

I am wondering since my newest Blu-Ray player (2 yearss old) is connected via wireless if it will do its own firmware upgrade. I guess what I am thinking out loud about is can the manufacturers PUSH a firmware upgrade or just notify you it is available. It might be interesting to see what happens 2/1/12. Just another way big brother is watching over you.

This is why I do not allow automatic firmware upgrades either by wireless or wired. I only update it when I want to. Just added to Cinavia list "Friends with Benefits" BD All Regions to Cinavia list - icon on packaging.

Last edited:
@rmbrewer, Personally, I don't trust wireless and it doesn't work very well for HD audio and video anyway.

I wouldn't be so sure. I stream 1080p mkv videos over my wireless and it works great for me. It takes some tweaking, but it's not to hard and the benefits are worth it.

If you know what you're doing, wireless can be very secure.

im unsure if security actually slows down the wireless transmission rate .... i have 4Mbps mp4's stored on my nas, they are all variable bitrate movies, so bitrates can get high (20-25Mbps) or low (0 Mbps) ... i have both wireless n and g operating on 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands, artifacts still appear during playback when bitrates get high.

its a limitation of wireless speeds, if you do the math, even with a strong connection of 250 Mbps, you hit the ceiling of MB transfer because you're realistically seeing only 2-15 MB/s. ethernet is still much faster, so is powerline technology .... wifi is the slowest home network connection you can establish.

sent via android

Last edited:
This is completely ridiculous. Seems to me that their war against pirates leads to hate from the customers. I didn't know everyone started to get Sony mentality. Soon we will be drowning in anti-consumer companies.

the public wont buy into it and sony will become a very unpopular brand ....

sent via android

Some people will think I'm mad, but my local electronic store was discounting Sony BD Players - the one I got was the BDP-S580 - purely to do Cinavia testing and wont update the firmware.

I saw Sony Blu-ray players at the local Wal Mart store over the holiday season for $68. They sold extremely fast.:D

Just discovered online the S580 has no Optical Out which I use as I dont have separate HDMI amp. The S780 has Optical Out. BD Player has not been used / opened so will contact store and see what they can do. Or since this is for Cinavia testing purely, just keep the 580.

My PS3 which is my player is already infected due to firmware 3.x and we are on 4.x now if I remember right. So I just got to deal with it I believe now as it was implemented way back.

is this the end of my htpc....

I have my htpc for surfing the web, and for a way to catalog all my dvd's in one location so as to not have to switch discs all the time. I love it.. This new process by movie companies is going to end that from the looks of it. Back to getting up and down from the couch I suppose. I read through the first 10 pages of this thread and even if the new protection can be worked around it seems like it will take encoding takes a long time no? I don't want to re-encode any movie I buy... IDK but this sounds like the end of the golden age of htpc's... Unless Netflix or another company starts streaming ALL movies not these bum movies that no one wants to watch lol. Just venting.

I have my htpc for surfing the web, and for a way to catalog all my dvd's in one location so as to not have to switch discs all the time. I love it.. This new process by movie companies is going to end that from the looks of it. Back to getting up and down from the couch I suppose. I read through the first 10 pages of this thread and even if the new protection can be worked around it seems like it will take encoding takes a long time no? I don't want to re-encode any movie I buy... IDK but this sounds like the end of the golden age of htpc's... Unless Netflix or another company starts streaming ALL movies not these bum movies that no one wants to watch lol. Just venting.

Relax - Slysoft will eventually release a Cinavia (and DRM) free DVD player software package for HTPC's.

-W

Back