• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Avatar Netflix copy freezes at 50%

You only need to have AnyDVD enabled for your optical drive when you start the movie in PDVD. AnyDVD removes the protection in real time so ripping isn't necessary. So, with AnyDVD enabled, stick the disc in, wait for AnyDVD to scan it, load up PDVD, and you're good to go...same as if you mounted an ISO.

with AnyDVD running, i open PowerDVD 10 and tried to play it. it plays the blue ray for about half a second, then it stops and says i am not HDCP compliant.

with AnyDVD running, i open PowerDVD 10 and tried to play it. it plays the blue ray for about half a second, then it stops and says i am not HDCP compliant.

What the?? Can you post a log from the original please?

Is anydvd enabled?
I have a non-hdpc system and if I use anydvd.
I Have no problem in TMT3 and Pdvd 8.

Do you mind posting a log and to detail how you made the image? That would be helpful. Thanks!

I just used AnyDVD Ripper. Keep protection is unchecked. Remove prohibited.. and Remove annoying.. are unchecked. Disable BD-Live is checked.

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.6.4.6)
SONY BDRW BWU-200S 1.0B APR08 ,2008
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Blu-Ray disc.

Total size: 24438784 sectors (47732 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: RED_BIRD_2D_WW
Media is AACS protected!
Media is BD+ protected!
AACS MKB version 16
Using BDPHash.bin 10-05-20-B
Removed AACS copy protection!
Removed BD+ copy protection!
Note: automatic detection of region code not possible with this disc.
Blu-ray disc Region set to A!
Possible Blu-ray Java region lock removed!
Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!
BD-Live deactivated!
Java BD+ runtime removed!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.6.4.6_Info_F_RED_BIRD_2D_WW.zip
    249.8 KB · Views: 2
Fascinating. Same disc and you've got a Sony BD reader which reads it fine. The LG in the first post is not able to read it. That's not very amusing is it...

EDIT: Just looked. 3 LG drives and an HP drive all fail to read this disc. But your Sony had no issues. Awesome. Just awesome.

Last edited:
what optical drive are you using?

i am assuming you watched your ISO copy all the way through and it was perfect?

Drive is a Sony BDRW BWU-200s.

I haven't watched it all the way through yet. I normally make an mkv from the image (which worked fine) and then watch that using Zoomplayer. I just tried to play about 2 mins of the mkv right around the halfway point and it worked fine. I realize that that is not necessarily the same as the 50% point on the ISO but, since the feature is just about the only thing on the disc, it may be close.

Drive is a Sony BDRW BWU-200s.

I haven't watched it all the way through yet. I normally make an mkv from the image (which worked fine) and then watch that using Zoomplayer. I just tried to play about 2 mins of the mkv right around the halfway point and it worked fine. I realize that that is not necessarily the same as the 50% point on the ISO but, since the feature is just about the only thing on the disc, it may be close.

The fact that you were able to rip it with AnyDVD without it erroring shows your drive was capable of reading it. AnyDVD stops if it encounters errors on a BD. So this is very discouraging to say the least. Your rip shows there's no new copy protection, but, it's also not a lot of comfort to those who's drives can't read this disc.

Fascinating. Same disc and you've got a Sony BD reader which reads it fine. The LG in the first post is not able to read it. That's not very amusing is it...

EDIT: Just looked. 3 LG drives and an HP drive all fail to read this disc. But your Sony had no issues. Awesome. Just awesome.

FWIW, I had a LG combo Bluray/HDDVD drive that I stopped using because I had occasional problems that did not show up on the Sony. OTOH, I've occasionally seen what appear to be layer transition problems with DVD's (and possibly Blurays) with the Sony.

FWIW, I had a LG combo Bluray/HDDVD drive that I stopped using because I had occasional problems that did not show up on the Sony. OTOH, I've occasionally seen what appear to be layer transition problems with DVD's (and possibly Blurays) with the Sony.

Yea, I think what Peer said about the sorry state of drives on the PC is probably pretty accurate. In short...they suck. Whenever I get a disc from Netflix that looks abused and my LG can't read it, I end up having to watch it on my PS3 and 9 times out of 10 it'll work fine there. That thing is a beast and what's considered the "gold standard". (What I mean is, mfg's almost all test their discs on the PS3 so it usually works there) This is really quite depressing.

@ pico1180

optical drive LG's GBW-H20L
hardware player Sony S301

optical drive and hardware player all have latest factory firmware updates and not any modified firmware update program.

All ripping done by AnyDVD HD and the competition was done to BDMV folder format and not ISO image format.

Then compressed to approximately 23.8gb.

Imgburn burned the BDMV folder of approximately 23.8gb to a blank BD-R (25gb single layer)

The Sony S301 hardware player viewed the back-up disk as a factory build BD-ROM disk but in reality it was a homemade compliant Blu-ray structure (BDMV) built on a BD-R blank disk and played thru output HDMI to input HDMI on the HDTV at 1080P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, but yours is a different disc. It's not a netflix/rental disc. It's the same retail disc I have.

So, I ran into the "freezes at 50%" problem with a LiteOn IHOS104-06 (just a couple of months old, and generally well-reviewed on NewEgg). I rely on AnyDVD to remove HDCP so PowerDVD will actually play back my disks, but from what I can tell, this makes no difference at all.

I ran ImgBurn on our NetFlix copy of Avatar with "Ignore Read Errors" enabled and AnyDVD disabled... and it worked. Mostly. It took 115 total retries, with one sector that it gave up on after 20. All of these errors occurred in the first chapter (or thereabouts) of the second layer, with the drive reading at speeds as low as 32 KB/sec (and stopping altogether when it errored). It was only this one small area that had problems, after which the read speeds came back up to normal and the copy completed. I've posted the complete log from ImgBurn in case anyone is interested.

So for those of you having this problem, I highly recommend giving ImgBurn a try. It will take a lot of patience, but you should end up with a largely playable (or ripable) image.

But in closing, I'm still dying to know: WTF is up with this batch of disks? What makes a PS3 so special that it can play them just fine, while a multitude of different PC drives crap themselves?

Attachments

• ImgBurnLog.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 3
The PS3 can ignore them easier. Thank you for trying this idea. I'm glad it "mostly" worked out. But, understand, that this image IS flawed and that these discs DO suck.

I'm still having issue with the Avatar Blu-ray disk, getting stuck at around 46-48% complete on the "rip to iso image" using two different computers, both with different blu-ray reader/writers. With 6.6.4.2 I wasn't even able to read the disk, so it is getting closer.

I'm also having issue with the Avatar Blu-ray disk from Netflix, getting stuck at around 46-48% complete on the "rip to iso image" using two different computers, both with different blu-ray reader/writers. With 6.6.4.2 I wasn't even able to read the disk, so it is getting closer.

Lite-on BD B LH-2B1S (Desktop)
Matshita BD-RE UJ-2225S (Dell Laptop)

I'm still having issue with the Avatar Blu-ray disk, getting stuck at around 46-48% complete on the "rip to iso image" using two different computers, both with different blu-ray reader/writers. With 6.6.4.2 I wasn't even able to read the disk, so it is getting closer.

Lot of bad Avatar disks out there... I think AnyDVD has ALL versions of Avatar handled for a while now.

-W

No, it's not "getting closer". It's NOT an AnyDVD issue.

[SARCASM]

Awww...

But isn't it so much more fun to blame the problem on Slysoft and get all googly-eyed thinking about conspiracies? :aiee: I mean we all know that the industry has the consumers' interests at heart and they would never ever ever release defective discs to the public. Nope. Never. :disagree: Uh... yeah... and let's forget about all those defective discs they've already released long before Avatar came along... :doh:

:rolleyes:

[/SARCASM]

So, I ran into the "freezes at 50%" problem with a LiteOn IHOS104-06 (just a couple of months old, and generally well-reviewed on NewEgg). I rely on AnyDVD to remove HDCP so PowerDVD will actually play back my disks, but from what I can tell, this makes no difference at all.

I ran ImgBurn on our NetFlix copy of Avatar with "Ignore Read Errors" enabled and AnyDVD disabled... and it worked. Mostly. It took 115 total retries, with one sector that it gave up on after 20. All of these errors occurred in the first chapter (or thereabouts) of the second layer, with the drive reading at speeds as low as 32 KB/sec (and stopping altogether when it errored). It was only this one small area that had problems, after which the read speeds came back up to normal and the copy completed. I've posted the complete log from ImgBurn in case anyone is interested.

So for those of you having this problem, I highly recommend giving ImgBurn a try. It will take a lot of patience, but you should end up with a largely playable (or ripable) image.

But in closing, I'm still dying to know: WTF is up with this batch of disks? What makes a PS3 so special that it can play them just fine, while a multitude of different PC drives crap themselves?

have you tried to play your image? what does it look like half way through?

my drive is an:
LG CH08LS10 with latest firmware.

so, we are 99.99% sure the blue rays netflix/rentals have are just garbage?

Back