• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Avatar Netflix copy freezes at 50%

Yea, that's why I think if it were split out they could focus on AnyDVD for protection removal and a dedicated ripping app much easier. They could update each individually. And since it wouldn't work very well without AnyDVD, making it free would be appropriate. And it'd give you much more control than a built in AnyDVD ripper could.

If there were such an option I would also like to be able to switch automatically to this mode. It is a pain to start a rip, come back an hour later and find it stopped halfway through.

And that's the point where I invite you to suggest how that should be done :)

AnyDVD already does a number of retries before it gives up.
It's quite impossible to predict, exactly how many retries it takes to get through your particular damaged disc.
So "switching on this 'mode'" as you put it can only mean retrying endlessly.

Considering that among all defective discs, the vast majority will not recover after any amount of retries, and if you leave the process running for the night, you may wake up the next morning, and wonder whether replacing the bad disc for free wouldn't have been the better alternative to replacing your now hoplessly worn out drive (not so much for free - note that retries put a lot more mechanical stress onto your drive than sequential reading) ;)

So if anything, I would agree to having an "abort, retry, ignore"-box instead - which still requires you to interact, but after all it shouldn't be required for many more than 1 out of 200 discs (unless, that is, you already have a hoplessly worn out drive).

Last edited:
And that's the point where I invite you to suggest how that should be done :)

AnyDVD already does a number of retries before it gives up.
It's quite impossible to predict, exactly how many retries it takes to get through your particular damaged disc.
So "switching on this 'mode'" as you put it can only mean retrying endlessly.

Considering that among all defective discs, the vast majority will not recover after any amount of retries, and if you leave the process running for the night, you may wake up the next morning, and wonder whether replacing the bad disc for free wouldn't have been the better alternative to replacing your now hoplessly worn out drive (not so much for free - note that retries put a lot more mechanical stress onto your drive than sequential reading) ;)

So if anything, I would agree to having an "abort, retry, ignore"-box instead - which still requires you to interact, but after all it shouldn't be required for many more than 1 out of 200 discs (unless, that is, you already have a hoplessly worn out drive).
Yeah, that was what I originally meant by my first post. But I think maybe some ability to define the default number of initial retries in AnyDVD settings - small/medium/large - similar but simpler than what ImgBurn does - may also be a good idea. Maybe it will not help anyone, but possibly someone may find their drive is particularly sensitive and a higher number of retries may help, without interaction. Personally I would also not mind using a "High" setting as the default. If it works, great. If it does not then the first time it fails AnyDVD stops anyway.

Last edited:
I have had Similar Problems with NetFlix Disks

Hi

I have had the exaxxt same problem with several Netflix BD disks.

Most recently was the New US release of Akira. The disk would fail at exactly 14% reading for a rip image in AnyDVD.. (and other software)..

I cleaned the disk. Tried it in 3 different computers with 3 different Blu-Ray drives and the same thing consistently happened. Failure at 14% of the read copying..

Even Power DVD and Corel Blu-Ray would stop playing at exactly the same spot.

However the disk played fine on any set-top Blu-Ray player.

What I had to do was use ImgBurn and rip to an ISO file (as other threads talk about here). Watching ImgBurn you will see where the read has problems and ImgBurn will retry the read 20 times.

Doing this imgburn got the entire disk and only had to completely ignore about 40 sectors. (It retried and got all the rest).

LOL This process to 15 hours sice re-tries take a long time on a sector by sector basis.

However after doing that, I was successfully able to mount the ISO with Virtual Clone Drive and all was working fine after that...

Hope that info helps a little..

If you ignore sectors then you could end up with corruption in the files

Could? LOL! If there's read errors on a BD, then it's a very big problem. Look, Frank and I had a lengthy conversation about this in an AnyDVD thread a couple days ago. I'll attempt to reiterate some of it here.

First, you have many variables. Disc quality being a key one. Drive quality being equal. Some drives are better at error correcting and reading crappy discs than others. Commercial BD players, for example, have better tolerance for crap than PC drives. And they're also not trying to read every sector on the disc. That's why so many people say "but it plays fine so it CAN'T be a bad disc." This is of course nonsense. As I said in the other thread, when read errors occur you have 2 recourses. Buy a better drive that can handle crappy discs, or, replace the disc. Unfortunately commercial BD's are TERRIBLE quality and made by the lowest bidder. So, people can argue about how it's "not the disc" all they want, but, at the end of the day it's EITHER the disc or their drive or BOTH. The bad disc guide was made with the concept in mind that it's very rarely an AnyDVD problem, and when it is, we find out very quickly as *EVERYONE* has the same problem. If some people can rip the disc and others can't, well, that says a lot. :)

As for the corruption issue...hey, some people are good with that. Fine by me. Make an image with ImgBurn and call it good.

One of my BDs failed to "Rip to Image" with AnyDVDHD, and I eventually tried ImgBurn and it ripped it without any errors or retries iirc. Further, ImgBurn gave me a nice log of the rip process and an .ibg image which sometimes is useful given it shows rip speed over time and thus where ImgBurn "has trouble" reading the disc perhaps.

In any case as a result of this experience I now rip everything w/ImgBurn and no longer use AnyDVDHD for this purpose.

The AnyDVD rip to image function is convenient, but, ImgBurn is better suited in a lot of ways. And if you want to make protected images with ImgBurn, it's simply a matter of disabling AnyDVD for that drive. (I wouldn't disable AnyDVD entirely because you can mount another image and watch it while ripping, yea? :D) Anyway, at least people have options when they hit those trouble discs. However, as the bad disc guide shows, ImgBurn isn't magic. There are LOTS of discs (or disc/drive combinations) that simply don't work, even with AnyDVD disabled and using ImgBurn to rip it. In those cases you either have to get a better drive (good luck with that) or replace the disc.

Maybe I am lucky (touches wood and crosses fingers) but with my GGC-H20L drive I have never had any problem before this Avatar disc, and that worked the second time using AnyDVD, maybe or maybe not due to cleaning, although it still had to re-read a few times.

Is the problem of bad discs (after cleaning) that common? Or is it there are some seriously bad (models of?) drives? If the latter, anyone know of a list of know good and known bad models?

The situation you describe, if it happened to me, would be completely unacceptable. It would invalidate the use of the PC for playback, let alone HDD storage of Blu-ray discs. Fortunately, this has not been my experience.

If it really is that bad, and errors on the disc are just to be expected, then hopefully Clone BD will be capable of the same error correction as a stand-alone player - recovering any metadata from the backup copy and intelligently skipping over any errors in video to minimse the visual/audio impact.

I'm not going to try to make up nonsense percentages or anything like that, but, it's unfortunately more common than we'd like. I have the same drive and I don't have very many issues, either. But, from time to time I do run into a bad disc myself. Hell, I still haven't seen Tropic Thunder because the two times I rented it I got bad discs both times. Not even my PS3 would read them! I've had others. Maybe since I've been into blu-ray I've gotten 10 or so bad discs. Not a huge percentage, but, enough to be annoying. Add to that the combination of drives that aren't necessarily great (pc drives suck the most at error correcting BD's, but, if the disc is good then it's generally not an issue) and rental discs that are handled with "love and care", and the situation quickly gets very annoying.

I must be lucky (famous last words :doh:). I've been buying BDs plus renting 2-4 a month for two and a half years now and apart from that minor glitch with Avatar and a few that have needed cleaning I've yet to have a problem.

Yup, you're lucky. :) My luck is nearly as good. Other people get plagued with problem discs and bad equipment. The thing that people need to remember though, is that it's FAR too easy to just blame the software. Oh, it must be AnyDVD's fault cause the disc looks clean/has no scratches/is brand new/etc. They don't get the concept that it's a combination of their drive and a potentially crappy made disc. The other issue is how long discs ACTUALLY last. For example, someone here on the board has an HD DVD that they kept in the case and on a shelf for months. They went to test something with it and noticed that the glue that holds the disc together was coming undone. And that's a properly stored, commercial disc! I keep saying this over and over, but, when studios are trying to squeeze out every last ounce of profit, they will continue to use the lowest bidder to mass produce their discs. As a result, quality IS going to suffer. I know you asked about what drives are "recommended" as the better ones earlier. From what I've seen, scarily enough I'd probably recommend a Sony drive at this point. As long as it was MADE by Sony and not just has the Sony label stuck on some cheap POS no-name drive. Unfortunately that's difficult to know. The LG drives we have rock. When mine dies (and remember it's WHEN, _NOT_ IF) I'm going to cry. All optical drives have a shelf life. And when they start to fail, the problems can be very subtle at first and easy to mistake as some other issue. Burners fail sooner, but, eventually all drives fail.

Have to agree about the Sony drives, I have a BWU-100a and it still works flawlessly, it may be slow and only use IDE but it manages to read discs that I can't get to work in any other Blu-ray drive.

Have to agree about the Sony drives, I have a BWU-100a and it still works flawlessly, it may be slow and only use IDE but it manages to read discs that I can't get to work in any other Blu-ray drive.

Just another data point:

My LG BD burner is great for BD, but is poor for marginal DVDs. The no-name drive in the kid's old Dell PC rips marginal DVDs perfectly, without a single re-try, when the LG fails and Imgburn gives up after 20 re-tries.

Hope my single AnyDVD license doesn't get busted for my dual-use :) It's not really dual-use, I only use the kid's machine as a backup, an alternative ripper when the LG on my main machine chokes.

--
SC

Depending on when you bought the Dell, it's very likely to have a Lite On drive in it which is extremely good.

About Bad sectors & ImgBurn

Hi

I guess I should have mention more details about the issue of allowing imgburn to skip sectors.

Yes if you simply just let ImgBurn skip sectors and you try and use that ISO generated, It will fail as corrupt.

However, Since most Blu_Rays I am copying are of the BD50 variety and I am not likely to start copying to BD50 disks till the price comes down, I must use another product to rip the DVD so I can make a BD25 copy. (we should not mention other products in this forum per some posts I have seen)

But the procedure that worked for me in the case of disks not directly readable by AnyDvd Has been

1. Rip the image using ImgBurn allowing it to retry and subsequently ignore the bad secorts if retry fails. (my experience has been that retry in most cases usually get the sector. In the last bad disk out of all sectors only 36 were eventually not readable at all).

2. Mount the ISO with Virtual CloneDrive.

3. Rip with AnyDVD and now you have created an ISO that has had all the Copy Protection Removed.

4. Use your alternate program to rip the main movie out of the new ANYDvd created ISO or what ever method you use to make a BD50 disk fit on a BD25 disk.

5. When your alternate program has either burned you new disk or created the new ISO file. the bad sectors will appear in the file appropriately so DVD Players and powerDVD will skip them and fill in as most DVD player software is designed to do.

This is one reason that settop boxes can often play these disks even though thet cannot be ripped on a PC. A rip expects to copy every sector exactly. DVD software (Particularly Set Top Boxes) are programmed to just skip contunue to play from its buffer until a good sector is reached. Some DVD software does the same trick that has been done since VCR days and that is to replace bad sectors (or Scans) with the last good frame. Since DVD use MPEG type compression. usuall there is not much missing from frame to frame so this scheme usually works pretty good.

So anyway. Basically, if you rip with ImgBurn and skip sectors.. Do Not use that ISO as your PLAY source. Use it to master a new BD or DVD and all should be well.

John

Just a thought about AnyDVD and Bad Sectors

Was just thinking

Maybe ANyDVD could implement an option to Ignore Bad Sectors.

Then, in software, after a reasonable amount of retries just modify the previous sector's frames appropriately and write the last sector in place of the failed sector.

Also a log if reading activity like image burn would be helpful

Just a thought.

John

If you have a corruption in the middle of the main video file then you can't remux or re-encode the streams using Clown BD or BD rebuilder as they will fail

Back