• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Avatar Netflix copy freezes at 50%

I have attached the zip
View attachment 12488

Thank you. You've confirmed that they have changed the damn disc cause they know they got a bad batch of discs. Which is what I've been saying all along. :rolleyes: Hopefully this is a lesson to people to listen to me next time. :p I'm glad this is working for you now. All those people having issues should do the same and request a fixed disc from Netflix.

Bad sectors on disk start at about 1 hr 30 mins. You can pick it back up again at about 1 hr. 33 mins.

IMGBURN can give the exact sector numbers but not worth the trouble.

I'm currently attempting a rip (of Netflix's first batch, shipped May 20) with this drive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EE996Q/

Will report back if my copy stalls.

----

Edit: Working fine, and ripping really uncharacteristically fast.

----

Edit 2: Finished without issue.

Attachments

• zoom.jpg
    zoom.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My third disc is on route from Netflix - I didn't call, just coded it as 'defective' and to send another. I was able to rip it using ImgBurn with 'read errors' turned off but I must have changed another setting on AnyDVD. I went to play it after ripping it and burning it (UDF format- not sure how I did that) so the UDF disc would not play on my PC so I tried my PS3 and it gave me a message from the disc saying i needed to upgrade the firmware. I reluctantly upgraded and I ended up getting the same message. When I hit the "main menu" button it gave me a "BD-J Error" on the screen.

just got my netflix replacement. it ripped perfectly. i cant post a log because i suck at life, but i hope this helps.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.6.4.6)
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH08LS10 2.00 4 001026099N9AH90141
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Blu-Ray disc.

Total size: 24438784 sectors (47732 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: RED_BIRD_2D_WW
Media is AACS protected!
Media is BD+ protected!
AACS MKB version 16
Using BDPHash.bin 10-05-20-B
Removed AACS copy protection!
Removed BD+ copy protection!
Note: automatic detection of region code not possible with this disc.
Blu-ray disc Region set to A!
Possible Blu-ray Java region lock removed!
Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!
BD-Live deactivated!
Java BD+ runtime removed!
Removed UOPs!

Here is the log file from the avatar netflix blu-ray. Even with the newest beta (6.6.4.7) it still stops ripping at 54% due to a read error. this is the first replacement disc i ordered from netflix but i guess i will try another.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.6.4.7_Info_F_RED_BIRD_2D_WW.zip
    243.8 KB · Views: 7
Here is the log file from the avatar netflix blu-ray. Even with the newest beta (6.6.4.7) it still stops ripping at 54% due to a read error. this is the first replacement disc i ordered from netflix but i guess i will try another.

Thanks, but log files don't help here - from AnyDVD's side, everything is ok.
The read errors are not AnyDVD's responsibility.

I just had my Netflix disc fail at the usual spot. I've requested a replacement. I guess they haven't weeded out all the bad discs yet.

just backed up my copy of Avatar Bluray from Netflix and no problems using 6.6.4.7.

Thanks

just backed up my copy of Avatar Bluray from Netflix and no problems using 6.6.4.7.

Thanks

Count yourself as one of the lucky ones then. A large number of people on this forum getting disks from Netflix have gotten bad ones.

There's definitely a problem with the batch that they got although i guess they got more than one batch since your disk works okay.

I have just had this problem with a copy of Avatar in the UK - error reading disc @49%.

I cleaned the disc and tried again. This time it got to the same spot and you could see and hear it was struggling to copy - MB/s reading in AnyDVD dropped to <1MB/s and I could hear the disc retrying - However, this time it got through it and copied successfully!

Seems like some people may have been able to copy this disc if AnyDVD had tried a bit harder! In case this may become a more regular issue is there any chance AnyDVD could offer an option that keeps retrying. Eg. Instead of giving up and only offering and option to delete the partial file there could be an option to switch to an "error resilient mode" (not sure if you can also switch to a deliberately slow read rate). To be clear, I'm not suggesting you ignore the errors, just keep retrying for longer at the slowest possible speed.

In the meantime you can easily do that with ImgBurn...

Yes, I accept that :)

Just I think some problems/returns can/could have been avoided if AnyDVD was more resilient to marginal, but not completely defunct discs.

I don't want to start a big debate/discussion/controversy with this next statement....however, this goes back to the heart of the matter in that AnyDVD was *NEVER* designed as a ripper in the first place. The origin of the ripping functionality in the first place was for certain DVD's, DVD Shrink wasn't able to work properly. So the ripper was added to provide a clean DVD structure for DVD Shrink users to work with. Now with BD's, a simple ripping function to create an ISO was added for convenience. And so far, there has been no structural protection added to the format. So, when a read error is encountered, it's considered bad. I get what you're saying about read retries and all that. And in a proper ripper, i would agree that having the option to control those things would be appropriate. For example, I'd expect to see something like that in CloneBD. I know many people use AnyDVD as a ripper and a lot of the time it's fine, but, it wasn't designed for that and I think that's where a lot of the problems come from. This is why I recommended ImgBurn...it's free, and gives you that control. When CloneBD is released maybe we'll have the proper functionality for a ripping program that everyone would like to see.

If there were such an option I would also like to be able to switch automatically to this mode. It is a pain to start a rip, come back an hour later and find it stopped halfway through.

Right, and that's where I think CloneBD comes in...to give you that kind of control. It belongs in a dedicated ripper. Honestly, I wish SlySoft would release a dedicated, free ripping program that works in combination with AnyDVD and remove that functionality from AnyDVD completely. It'd make AnyDVD smaller, and allow them to tweak both apps individually as needed.

I don't want to start a big debate/discussion/controversy with this next statement....however, this goes back to the heart of the matter in that AnyDVD was *NEVER* designed as a ripper in the first place. The origin of the ripping functionality in the first place was for certain DVD's, DVD Shrink wasn't able to work properly. So the ripper was added to provide a clean DVD structure for DVD Shrink users to work with. Now with BD's, a simple ripping function to create an ISO was added for convenience. And so far, there has been no structural protection added to the format. So, when a read error is encountered, it's considered bad. I get what you're saying about read retries and all that. And in a proper ripper, i would agree that having the option to control those things would be appropriate. For example, I'd expect to see something like that in CloneBD. I know many people use AnyDVD as a ripper and a lot of the time it's fine, but, it wasn't designed for that and I think that's where a lot of the problems come from. This is why I recommended ImgBurn...it's free, and gives you that control. When CloneBD is released maybe we'll have the proper functionality for a ripping program that everyone would like to see.
I get what you are saying too! I will certainly buy CloneBD when it finally emerges.

But AnyDVD is a great lightweight ripper for DVD and Blu-ray. It is the fastest way of doing it and right now I use nothing else, even though I have ImgBurn on my PC. Whilst this suggestion makes it a little less lightweight(!) it is a shame if such a basic and simply avoided issue causes it to fail.

Back