• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Avatar Netflix copy freezes at 50%

would a better blu ray optical drive help me? has anyone had success with the netflix version? i have no problem going to a brick and mortor store and purchasing the blu ray, but i am afraid it will just be the same.

test

Can anyone provide some conclusive information here?

It's been requested a couple of times that a copy with Imgburn be done while AnyDVD is deactivated. Has anyone done that yet?
Without that information I have no choice but to agree with most others here and assume that those really ARE just bad discs.

Information required to clear this up:

- has anyone made a successful copy with AnyDVD from a netflix Avatar (note, there are two variants, log files would be required to tell which one is which).
- note that there may be a difference between "rip to ISO" and "rip to files"
- can the disc be copied with ImgBurn without AnyDVD running?
- can the main movie file 00002.m2ts be copied (via Windows Explorer) with AnyDVD disabled?
- does the movie play using the exact same drive that was used as copying failed? The information that it plays on the PS3 is utterly useless, those playstations have very good BD drives whereas a lot of the PC drives are junk.

Please answer at least some of these questions, that will help us draw some conclusions.

Last edited:
Also the PS3 will can skip a bad sector if need be so saying it plays in that means nothing.
Plus if it was a new copy protection, don't you think they'd be more likely to implement it on the retail discs as well?

Last edited:
I did try an ImgBurn copy as suggested. It erred out at 50%. it created a ~23GB file that was worthless. I also tried to just simply use Windows Explorer to copy the blue ray to a directory. It too errored out on the copy. From what i understand, it errored out on the main movie file.

I also used DVDFab to try and create an image. It errored out at 50% just like AnyDVD. However, if I tried to tell DVDFab to rip JUTS the movie it would error out immediately.

so... bottom line is. If you try to image the entire disk, it will error out at 50%. if you tell it to image JUST the movie it will error out immediately.

I did try an ImgBurn copy as suggested. It erred out at 50%. it created a ~23GB file that was worthless. I also tried to just simply use Windows Explorer to copy the blue ray to a directory. It too errored out on the copy. From what i understand, it errored out on the main movie file.

I also used DVDFab to try and create an image. It errored out at 50% just like AnyDVD. However, if I tried to tell DVDFab to rip JUTS the movie it would error out immediately.

so... bottom line is. If you try to image the entire disk, it will error out at 50%. if you tell it to image JUST the movie it will error out immediately.

So, just to make sure, there is no misunderstanding concerning the main issue:

you did all these tests with AnyDVD turned off?

that is correct.

but to be sure i understand what turned off is, i exited the program from the tast tray (not running in the bottom right).

if there is a lower level of "turned off" i did not do that, no.

Can anyone provide some conclusive information here?
- can the main movie file 00002.m2ts be copied (via Windows Explorer) with AnyDVD disabled?

i tried to do that exactly. it errored out the second it tried to copy 00002.m2ts using Windows Explorer.

i tried it with AnyDVD running in the task tray and with it NOT running in the task tray. same error, same time, same exact place.

Coincidence?

My Netflix distribution center (Fayetteville, NC) has just revised their Avatar release date from "5/25" to "indefinite".... maybe this has some bearing on whether there are possible bad discs out there... and have been acknowledged by Netflix?

@ Pico1180

My source Blu-ray copy of Avatar came from the brick and mortor store, and NO problems.

AnyDVD HD and the competition decrypted it just fine with no problems.

Built it with movie only compression down to 25gb and a huge strain to see a video difference from the source disk on a 40" HDTV. No hic-ups anywhere.

:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Pico1180

My source Blu-ray copy of Avatar came from the brick and mortor store, and NO problems.

Built it with movie only compression down to 25gb and a huge strain to see a video difference from the source disk on a 40" HDTV. No hic-ups anywhere.

This is specifically about the rental versions. Is yours rental?

@ Pico1180

that does answer a HUGE question for me...
i have no problem purchasing the retail version if i know this wont happen with it.

but the question is, why does the rental do it, but the retail doesnt?

what optical drive are you using?

Somehow I get the feeling this is not a new copy protection. As has been mentioned, the PS3 is one of the most resilient players on the market. I've asked people NUMEROUS times to make an image with ImgBurn with AnyDVD disabled and post the results. To my knowledge no one has been successful.

that does answer a HUGE question for me...
i have no problem purchasing the retail version if i know this wont happen with it.

but the question is, why does the rental do it, but the retail doesnt?

Because the batch that Netflix bought is different than the ones released to the retail channel earlier. Let's HOPE they haven't released these to the retail channel so that we start seeing this crap filter through stores. I don't understand why people (not you) have a hard time understanding that huge batches of discs can and do have mfg errors ALL the time. They're hellbent on blaming AnyDVD or some "new copy protection" when the simplest explanation is that the mfg screwed up. They farm the mfg of discs out to the cheapest places they can to wring out all the profits they can. Case in point...look at Saving Private Ryan. Those who argue against mastering errors probably would have blamed AnyDVD for audio sync problems, too. :)

In short, nothing posted here convinces me this is anything but a bad batch of discs unloaded on rental companies.

what i haven't seen is someone say they could play their rental on a PC optical drive. by buddy rented his from the local mom and pop video store. he couldnt play his on his blu ray optical drive. at around the middle of the movie he began seeing extreme pixulation. he had to stop the movie and start it again on his PS3.

i wish i could have plaid my copy, but i couldnt. PowerDVD tells me i am not HDCP compliant, even though i am... but that is neither here nor there. the only way i can play it is to rip to ISO first then mount it... but i digress. i would bet money it would have screwed up in the middle of playing.

i could see it either way. i could see it being a beefed up copy protection or i could see it as shotty stamps. but before i make a move either way i need to know one way or the other.

there is compelling evidence for either argument. i do know there are a TON of set top players that cant play avatar. i also know most set top players had to be updated before being able to play avatar.

it does stand to reason the company would apply a stiffer copy protection scheme on the rental though.

think about it... people would have been up in arms had they not been able to rip their retail bought avatar. people couldnt view it on their hand held devices. PSP, iPOD, what-have-you. they couldnt make a backup of it... all are arguably the right of the consumer. however, the rental community? its hard to pitch a bitch about not being able to rip your rental...

I didn't see where this has been stated before so I want to say that I made an ISO copy of the Netflix version with no problems. I have had problems at the layer transition with other discs but NOT with this one. And, just for the record, I always destroy any copies after I've watched the film.

First, AnyDVD works on the original, so, you don't need to rip it to ISO just to play it. AnyDVD wasn't designed as a ripper to begin with. It was made to assist people in watching their originals by removing PUOPS, assisting in subtitle placement, skipping ads, etc. So, no need to waste time ripping it to get the benefit of HDCP removal.

Second, I still want someone to try what I've asked on this particular title. Because so far no one has done so. That is, to rip it with ImgBurn, with AnyDVD disabled, with read errors set to ignore. Then, mount the image with AnyDVD enabled, and see if it'll play *without errors/glitches/pixelation* through the whole movie.

I didn't see where this has been stated before so I want to say that I made an ISO copy of the Netflix version with no problems. I have had problems at the layer transition with other discs but NOT with this one. And, just for the record, I always destroy any copies after I've watched the film.

Do you mind posting a log and to detail how you made the image? That would be helpful. Thanks!

First, AnyDVD works on the original, so, you don't need to rip it to ISO just to play it. AnyDVD wasn't designed as a ripper to begin with. It was made to assist people in watching their originals by removing PUOPS, assisting in subtitle placement, skipping ads, etc. So, no need to waste time ripping it to get the benefit of HDCP removal.

Second, I still want someone to try what I've asked on this particular title. Because so far no one has done so. That is, to rip it with ImgBurn, with AnyDVD disabled, with read errors set to ignore. Then, mount the image with AnyDVD enabled, and see if it'll play *without errors/glitches/pixelation* through the whole movie.

i thought i did that... but i didnt have read errors set to ignore...

how do i get around PowerDVD telling me it wont play it because im not HDCP compliant? i absolutely would LOVE to not waist my time ripping if i knew how to do this.

i am assuming you watched your ISO copy all the way through and it was perfect?

i thought i did that... but i didnt have read errors set to ignore...

how do i get around PowerDVD telling me it wont play it because im not HDCP compliant? i absolutely would LOVE to not waist my time ripping if i knew how to do this.

You only need to have AnyDVD enabled for your optical drive when you start the movie in PDVD. AnyDVD removes the protection in real time so ripping isn't necessary. So, with AnyDVD enabled, stick the disc in, wait for AnyDVD to scan it, load up PDVD, and you're good to go...same as if you mounted an ISO.

As for the ImgBurn thing...the point of that exercise is to see if the damaged area of the disc really is in the main movie...in which case, it's unlikely to be copy protection.

Back