• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anydvd (RedFox) and UHD/AACS 2.0 - There is hope

Hard drive fails = lose all movies on it

Disc doesn't fail, only breaks if you are careless with it.
Not sure about BD-R reliability, but DVD-R and CD-R disks often deteriorated after several years. The best option is really to keep multiple backups on different hard drives, with at least one of them located off-site.

I trust HDDs more than optical disks. I just flipped through my old backup DVDs the other day (they were stored in a padded metal box undisturbed for years) and I couldn't read about 20% of them at all. And they were not cheap DVDs burned at 48x. However my HDDs from my Amiga 500 days (which was about about 25 years ago) are still working perfectly to this day. I backup to HDDs that I would then put away and only use when needed.

And who exactly backs up his movies onto optical discs? Well you can but I'd go for the hdd. And in order to rip such a protected disc we would need? Exactly, AnyDVD HD or whatever it will be called. I doubt many people are still copying disc nowadays. At least for me the only disc that I've burned for yours are the mp3 discs for my car stereo. Everything else goes straight to my hdd.
Trying to compare apples to oranges doesn't work here. People backup for a reason and if you don't know why then you missed the boat already.

Who backs up to discs? Hmm, myself for one and properly a couple thousand others too.
Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk
Count me in. I like my options open to what I want.

Exactly some don't think about it til it happens then its oh no the HDD is crashed help me get my movies back. You only break the copy/backup the original is safe in the case and storage-that's what "altae" forgot to remember.

I'll keep buying physical media as long as it exists although I plan to boycott 4K completely for the foreseeable future.
I'm still boycotting Blu-ray, so boycotting 4K is not even a question. ;)

They can have my personally owned DVDs when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

I threw away too many DVD-R (including the expensive ones) to trust optical media. My strategy = RAIDZ2 (two disks in ZFS zpool can break without losing data) plus backups on external disk drives...

Never had an optical disc just go bad on its own, then again, I don't buy cheap crap blanks.

Never had an optical disc just go bad on its own, then again, I don't buy cheap crap blanks.

Me neither. My 8 year old TY DVD-Rs still scan perfect as do my 5 year old hard coat Verbatim BD-Rs. Would never trust a hard drive. Optical disks are cheaper per GB, and allow full 25GB transfers which is nice! Plus the risk for failure is spread out over hundreds of media instead of one source. No brainer. :)

Not sure about BD-R reliability, but DVD-R and CD-R disks often deteriorated after several years. The best option is really to keep multiple backups on different hard drives, with at least one of them located off-site.
Keep them cool, dry, and dark = no probs

Why not go all the way and just watch VHS. Lol.
I personally like the quality of DVD, Blu-ray is "information overload" for me. TOO much detail.

"oooh, look that that person's nose hairs! Great definition" BLECH!

I personally like the quality of DVD, Blu-ray is "information overload" for me. TOO much detail.

"oooh, look that that person's nose hairs! Great definition" BLECH!
Heh, you can blur the crap out of the HD picture to resemble a DVD.
And when you come to your senses you can always restore the HD picture thus enjoying both worlds when and how you like... :D

Actually, the original replicated disc is the 'backup' (or 'unused master' to use a studio term) if you aren't using that to watch the movie. Regardless of whether the copy is on a HDD or BD-R, if either one fails you just re-rip the replicated disc. Just like the studios do in the industry- Never actually use the master. Make a copy, and use that. If the copy dies for any reason, you clone the master again...

Hard drives fail, burned discs fail, replicated discs will last forever (in theory).

I have a nagging thought reading all this about UHD. No one ever broke the encryption of SACDs. The only backups made were on a particular PS3 with particular firmware, while it played back the digital data unencrypted which was backed up in real time. And DVD-Audio used audio watermarks before Cinavia. This was an analog method not a digital one, where the only solution is to use a player that ignores the audio watermark.

I have a nagging thought reading all this about UHD. No one ever broke the encryption of SACDs. The only backups made were on a particular PS3 with particular firmware, while it played back the digital data unencrypted which was backed up in real time. And DVD-Audio used audio watermarks before Cinavia. This was an analog method not a digital one, where the only solution is to use a player that ignores the audio watermark.
Both very niche formats though, quite insignificant compared to Blu-ray. It simply did not worth the effort IMHO.

I never bothered with SACD, I'm pretty sure, nobody ever really cared enought, but as far as DVDA goes: there were tools available for watermark removal many years ago. I tested one and it worked nicely.

Not accepting nobody cares as any kind of argument. Never encountered a solution to DVD-A watermarks except to play back in foobar. SACD-R images can be found in abundance online somewhere, all made from PS3s. Sony players deactivated SACD-R playback with a firmware 'upgrade'.

Not accepting nobody cares as any kind of argument. Never encountered a solution to DVD-A watermarks except to play back in foobar. SACD-R images can be found in abundance online somewhere, all made from PS3s. Sony players deactivated SACD-R playback with a firmware 'upgrade'.
IMO, if DVD-A or SACD were anywhere near Blu-ray popularity, they would have been cracked years ago.

Back