• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anydvd (RedFox) and UHD/AACS 2.0 - There is hope

IMO, if DVD-A or SACD were anywhere near Blu-ray popularity, they would have been cracked years ago.

I say again - I don't know about SACD, but the watermark on DVDA WAS cracked many years ago (as was CPRM/CPPM).
And "nobody cares" is, of course, the argument. I myself am having trouble finding the code through Google now - because obviously nobody cared enough for this thing to become popular.
There was source code listing the frequency bands and keys, the complete thing (and of course, SlySoft analyzed that code in preparation for Cinavia removal).
The code was based on Prof. Edward Felton's results from the SDMI challenge. If you really want to find those things, you will, I'm sure.

Discs do fail, normally they won't even last 10 years. Many of my burned CDs from around 2000 do not work anymore. Optical disc are simply not suitable for long term backups. And of course you need a backup of your HDD. There is an old rule in IT thay says data that has not been backed up does in fact not exist. I'm definitely done with optical discs.

Why argue over storage, to each his own I say. Both work, both fail.

Yep, so in either case you need a backup. I've got 3. A daily backup on may NAS, a weekly on external HDDs and a monthly backup on another external HDD in a drawer at the office. There I keep my most valuable data so even in case of a catastrophic event at my house I would not lose my family photos etc.

Discs do fail, normally they won't even last 10 years. Many of my burned CDs from around 2000 do not work anymore. Optical disc are simply not suitable for long term backups. And of course you need a backup of your HDD. There is an old rule in IT thay says data that has not been backed up does in fact not exist. I'm definitely done with optical discs.

I also use HDD to store, Hard Drives do fail, and I do have backup.

There are some new (or newish) optical disk that they call M-Disks that don't use dye, they are a sort of stone surface that is supposed to last a very long time, 1000 years has been quoted, but even if that last a lot less they are still the only option for Optical disk backup.
They do require a burner that is able to write to them but can be read by standard drives.

Ill stick with 32T HDD, the point was ease of access, to get away from physically changing disks in my case anyway.

Edit: I have no experience of these M-disks myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the first blu-ray was out July 2006 and by December 2006 AACS was cracked. Quite fast.
Well it's March and I expect AACS 2.0 to be done with no later than August. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/27/aacs-drm-cracked-by-backuphddvd-tool/

Source was from a guy at doom9 and then people and commercial software stole his discoveries..there is a possibility that doom9 will be first again.

That's an unfair statement.
What was done over at doom9 was sniffing for plaintext titlekeys in memory while a specific disc was played by a player.
SlySoft were the first to really handle discs from scratch, standalone, without requiring the "help" of a player.
It wasn't even based on what was done over at doom9.

Well that's interesting, so basically SlySoft are the pioneers who single handedly decrypted AACS 1.0 in 2006.

Well that's interesting, so basically SlySoft are the pioneers who single handedly decrypted AACS 1.0 in 2006.

I believe, it was 2007, but then, yes.
Same with BD+ - SlySoft were the only ones in the world who could remove BD+ for almost a year.
The first to remove Screen Pass.
Etc...

Then being accused of theft..... wow.

the watermark on DVDA WAS cracked many years ago (as was CPRM/CPPM).
I'm confused by this. All I knew was possible was to backup a DVD-A with something like DVDFab, and then play it back with Foobar. Foobar has a plugin that can tell you when there is a watermark with DVD-A and doesn't stop playing it. A disc I made this way would not play in a DVD-A player. If cracking means to remake the audio file with digital signal processing I question if that counts as a crack.
And I get disturbed by the smugness of saying nobody cares. A lot of people don't care about bluray either. By the way, there is a growing market in DSD files on some hi-res audio web sites. DSD in case you don't know is the type of audio used by SACDs, PCM used by wavs etc.
But I just realized probably what is meant as cracking the watermark, is converting the audio to WAV format and playing it in something else. But I question if DVD-Audio as a format, to play a backup as a DVD-A disc in a player, not just a software player, was ever entirely cracked. And those who 'don't care' used HDCP restrictions to kill off DVD-A for good. Restricting playback to 16 bit every time in those systems.

Last edited:
I'm confused by this. All I knew was possible was to backup a DVD-A with something like DVDFab, and then play it back with Foobar. Foobar has a plugin that can tell you when there is a watermark with DVD-A and doesn't stop playing it. A disc I made this way would not play in a DVD-A player. If cracking means to remake the audio file with digital signal processing I question if that counts as a crack.
And I get disturbed by the smugness of saying nobody cares. A lot of people don't care about bluray either. By the way, there is a growing market in DSD files on some hi-res audio web sites. DSD in case you don't know is the type of audio used by SACDs, PCM used by wavs etc.

I don't get what's "smug" about saying that not enough people care. It's a purely rational thing. Where there is enough need, things get done.
With DVDA people obviously didn't consider it worth the trouble.
Even when there was a working solution, it was forgotten, so obviously: people didn't care enough. That's how it is. Nothing "smug" about it.
"a lot of people don't care about bluray" is totally irrelevant - important is "a lot of people do". Very few people care about DVDA. Even on this forum, I bet the majority doesn't even know what it is.
The watermark was added by DSP, of course it needs to be removed by DSP.

But I just realized probably what is meant as cracking the watermark, is converting the audio to WAV format and playing it in something else. But I question if DVD-Audio as a format, to play a backup as a DVD-A disc, was ever entirely cracked. And those who 'don't care' used HDCP restrictions to kill off DVD-A for good. Restricting playback to 16 bit every time in those systems.

That simple tool back then really removed the watermark (this involves finding the secret keys in the audio stream and specifically remove the artificial echoes they are made of).
It did take WAV files as input and output - merely because it's a convenient format and there were (and are) tools that will convert DVD-A to WAV.

It would have been possible to re-create a DVD-A from that result. Stripped of all watermarks. Playable as DVD-A.

I tested the stuff back then, I think with PowerDVD, if my memory is not failing. It would mute the WAV files with the watermark - but no longer after processing.
That - for me - counts as a 100% defeat of the watermark / a crack if you will.

It annoys me a bit, that I can't find the thing anymore. Only the decoder sources - but that's me. Must have dumped it, because in all my smugness, I didn't care enough :)

That simple tool back then really removed the watermark (this involves finding the secret keys in the audio stream and specifically remove the artificial echoes they are made of).
It did take WAV files as input and output - merely because it's a convenient format and there were (and are) tools that will convert DVD-A to WAV.

It would have been possible to re-create a DVD-A from that result. Stripped of all watermarks. Playable as DVD-A.

I just can't see why remove the watermark without creating a DVD-A with it. Playable as DVD-A but nothing is creating one unless I guess you use a DVD-A authoring tool. But some players might not have been so easy to please. Foobar I found will play a factory made DVD-A directly.

I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at...I think you want DVD-A cracked to the point where you can copy it and play the copy in a DVD player. I guess I didn't know it hadn't been. I own several DVD-A discs as well as BluRay Audio. As well, I have a friend with dozens of SACD discs and the hardware to rip them.

I don't know of anyone who is into DVD-A, BR-A, or SACD that cares about the original physical media (I guess I could say the same thing about BR movies..). They all want to rip and copy the data to a HTPC, Oppo, or what have you, and play the media from there. I have been able to use AnyDVD HD then Exact Audio Copy to rip the audio from my DVD-A and BR-A discs and they play back just fine with Music Bee or other players, which is all I care about.

Please stay on topic or I might have this locked, dvd-a has nothing to do with aacs v2 or uhd.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Not until aacs v2.0 is reverse engineered

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

This is so ridiculous that it gives me a headache. Why do think they went after SlySoft as a legal entity? ....

It's because _NOTHING_ the powers that be could do technically can definitely stop a legitimate user from copying the movie. Encryption (very strongly and very well) stops people that are not supposed to see the message (plaintext) from seeing it. It never has and will never stop the intended recipient (who by definition has an unencrypted copy) from copying that message. The DRM idea is that the message is encrypted against the intended recipient except under special circumstances. That's idiotic. If the message is decrypted, then it can be copied one way or another.

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a pipedream by those that just really wish that people can't copy what they can just read/see/hear.

Mind you, I hate copyright infringement (sometimes called piracy) because 1) It's wrong and 2) it hurts artists and those that support them, and I love art and all those that make it and they _should_ get paid.

It might have been enough to get fees from official bd players, but apparently not. SlySoft made putting the art on HTPCs convenient and apparently that's a problem. So now they only question is if RedFox will provide the least hard copy facility or some other entity.

Back