• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anydvd (RedFox) and UHD/AACS 2.0 - There is hope

The problem with AACS 2.0 is the internet connection requirement for every disc, So in addition to a software to enable the copy of the content to another disc or hard drive, a 3rd party server has to be setup to broadcast the discs keys, If they can't go after the server they will have to go after the end users busting out their IP addresses and sending out legal threatening letters just like what's happening now with torrents.

Doubt there will be a need to setup a third party server, if what you say is correct and an internet connection must be made it could be part of the copy protection. A protection that could be broken and that requirement removed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd imagine if AACS 2.0 can be successfully removed from the copy, then that should remove the requirement for an Internet connection by default. The Disc will look like any non-commercial BD.

The problem with AACS 2.0 is the internet connection requirement for every disc

My understanding is, this is not required for normal AACS 2.0, but only for "AACS 2.0 Enhanced", which I'm suspecting the first production run of discs won't be using.

Besides if that enhanced thing is pretty much the same as bd-live, I don't doubt the usage and longevity of that will be of the same length. I only saw bd-live on a handful of discs after about a year I think and never again since then.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

If there will be a requirement for internet connection to watch movies, why would one buy the disc in the first place? There is streaming for that.

If there will be a requirement for internet connection to watch movies, why would one buy the disc in the first place? There is streaming for that.

With enhanced AACS 2.0 it apparently needs to connect the first time and only the first time on a device to obtain the title key. Once that's done you are good to go. Versus streaming an entire movie? I can't see how these are even remotely comparable.

I'll keep buying physical media as long as it exists although I plan to boycott 4K completely for the foreseeable future.

The movie is still stored on the disc in far higher quality than any streaming service. The Internet connection is just required for something to do with the decryption of the AACS 2.0.

Yes, but, it's possible to have a player and a disc with AACS 2.0 enhanced, and if it's the first time the disc is in that player, it needs not just Internet access but a server from which to download the decryption key. No server = disc won't play. In 10 or 20 years or more, can we be guaranteed that if you have a disc and a player, and that player has never seen that disc, that you will be able to play it? With Blu-Ray / DVD, the answer is yes, with UHD + AACS Enhanced, the answer is maybe / hopefully / possibly not? To me, that's fair use reason right there to decrypt / make a personal offline playable copy. :p

You make valid points, Pelvis Popcan. And, with respect to say streaming since who can say if the key server will still be around I'll counter that there's no saying said movie will be streamable or whatever we are doing in 10-20 yrs. Especially more obscure movies. Which, absolutely, supports why people should be able to protect their investment.

I understand that AACS 2.0 (Enhanced) requires the internet to decrypt but the question is what if I bought the disc to watch the movie in my caravan (no satellite internet)?

It resembles XboxOne policy at launch, we all know it failed immediately.
The CEO has been asked what about the soldiers in Iraq who play their xbox in their free time who don't have internet connection.
He stuttered and replied "They always have the old Xbox360".
He got fired the same week, numerous days after XboxOne launched.
XboxOne online requirement immediately died.

It's the same with UHD Blu-ray, the content is already on the disc which is already been bought.
I just want to pop it in my player and watch the movie, why the further hassle of connecting the player to the internet?

Well actually, I want AnyDVD UHD and play it on my HTPC... :D

Last edited:
Just a note on this, none of the current UHD BD releases seem to have implemented this feature.
It seems similar to how Cinavia was on BD, it's available to use, but it's up to the studios of they want to use it on the disc.

There is chance this only ever gets used sporadically on particular releases to prevent early leaks.

Below quote posted on another forum (taken from AACS presentation)

"Time Based Release of Keys (Correction Keys) – Operational improvement. Prevents a new release from playing until the street date. Optional for content owners, but must be supported in players”.

"Time Based Release of Keys (Correction Keys) – Operational improvement. Prevents a new release from playing until the street date. Optional for content owners, but must be supported in players”.

Hardly anyone will remember this, but that "feature" was already available for Blu-ray discs.
"Street Lock" - a patent for this was issued to Irdeto back in 2012. Was implemented through BD+ and would block the content until street date, requiring an internet connection.
I believe only a single movie came out with this.
The lock - in that case - was limited to software players, iirc, because otherwise it would have made 90% of the buyers very angry.

So, obviously It wasn't that huge a breakthrough. Clearly the studios will be hesitant to implement this AACS 2.0 network mandatory option as well.

...it would have made 90% of the buyers very angry.
So, obviously It wasn't that huge a breakthrough. Clearly the studios will be hesitant to implement this AACS 2.0 network mandatory option as well.
Bingo!

Clearly the studios will be hesitant to implement this AACS 2.0 network mandatory option as well.
I hope you're right, The other thing is we don't even know if BDXL discs will be compatible with this damn BD-ROM UHD format, Even if they are, 100GB blank discs go for around $12 a disc online, I think protecting the investment is not a priority now, But when things sorted out and a copy medium is available and cheap I'm pretty sure you guys will the first one on the block to figure it out.
I do have a BDXL drive I will get a UHD disc and see how it behaves to it.

And who exactly backs up his movies onto optical discs? Well you can but I'd go for the hdd. And in order to rip such a protected disc we would need? Exactly, AnyDVD HD or whatever it will be called. I doubt many people are still copying disc nowadays. At least for me the only disc that I've burned for yours are the mp3 discs for my car stereo. Everything else goes straight to my hdd.

And who exactly backs up his movies onto optical discs? Well you can but I'd go for the hdd. And in order to rip such a protected disc we would need? Exactly, AnyDVD HD or whatever it will be called. I doubt many people are still copying disc nowadays. At least for me the only disc that I've burned for yours are the mp3 discs for my car stereo. Everything else goes straight to my hdd.

Hard drive fails = lose all movies on it

Disc doesn't fail, only breaks if you are careless with it.

Back