• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anydvd (RedFox) and UHD/AACS 2.0 - There is hope

the 40 was yes, but it was the BU50! that was being talked about. Believe it or not, prior tests by other users of your NS55 on other forums confirmed it. The drive can't do jack with UHD bd's.

Have you seen this or not?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/for...lt&btsid=5bcad5f9-7f34-4db9-8f7a-a89fd7dd79de

LG-HL-BU40N MAY 2016 (reported as AACS 1.0 by AnyDVD)

HTB1u6WzOVXXXXbZapXXq6xXFXXX9.jpg

• The BU40N can burn Blu-ray movies and data up to 6X Speeding, Supports 4K Ultra HD UHD Blu-ray Movies.
You previously said LG has created the drive in the last few weeks!?!??!

Cyberlink announced the player license a month ago, the drive was created 8 months ago..

See my point??

Last edited:
the 40 was yes, but it was the BU50! that was being talked about. Believe it or not, prior tests by other users of your NS55 on other forums confirmed it. The drive can't do jack with UHD bd's.

Of course it can't do jack right now. There's no PC software available to play them!!

I did NOT say they created THAT drive in the past few weeks. I said they they got approved in the past few weeks to create one. Big difference,

And no it won't do jack either then. As I said, several users have tested that ns55 drive with UHD discs. It can't do jack because it can't authenticate the aacs 2.0 on the disc. That's MANDATORY by the Blu-ray disc alliance.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

Your post makes no sense.

How can someone test UHD playback compatibility without a licensed playback software available? What users are you talking about?

LG has had the BD ROM 4.0 license for more than a year that's why my LG BH16NS55 can read UHD discs.... Without that license there's no way the drive can even read the disc

That laptop drive we are talking about is 8 months old and reported UHD compatible despite AnyDVD says otherwise....

Let's wait for a licensed playback software and then we will have a definite answer....

LG has had the BD ROM 4.0 license for more than a year

BD ROM 4.0 does not equal AACS v2.0

Yes the LG BH16NS55 is able to see the content on the disc, but it does not have the AACS v2.0 key needed to decypt the content.

the BH16NS55 only has AACS v1.0 key

To be able to play a UHD Blu-ray disc, You need BD ROM 4.0 and AACS v2.0

Last edited:
What? UHD Blu-ray is not a recording format. It's just a ROM format (read-only)

The recording format is called BDXL and has nothing to do with the UHD BD spec.
Can't one put a home authored non protected UHD Blu-ray on a BDXL disk?

if it's below or equal to the 100GB size cap i'd assume so. But that's not the point here. The point is AACS 2.0 authentication in order to decrypt. and home users don't get or need that. AACS license = $$$

The BU40N is a super slim laptop drive. I already have one and at the moment it also states AACS 1.0 in AnyDVD
Does your BU40N say UHD Blu-ray on the label like the screen shot from AliExpress ? What's the date of manufacture ?
This is what I find confusing, if your label says UHD Blu-ray and the authentication is shown as AACS 1.0 by RedFox, how is it supposed to read UHD Blu-rays even with proper software ?

Either the label is wrong (an outright lie) or the authentication lies within the software.

Last edited:
My drive does say UHD Blu-ray on it, manufactured Oct 2016, and it can see the data on UHD Blu-ray discs.

It may not be a lie as it would be capable of playing back home authored UHD discs. Also they may update the AACS in a firmware update. We just don't know until PDVD for UHD discs is released and then we wills see if there's is a firmware update to support AACS 2.0

or the authentication lies within the software.

That's what I meant:

- Consider a standard Blu-ray disc with a standard PC blu-ray drive:

Without AnyDVD and/or PowerDVD installed you can read the disc, but you can't do anything with it because of AACS encryption

The same applies to UHD-Blu-ray: AnyDVD and/or PowerDVD don't support AACS 2.0 encryption yet so what happens? You can READ the disc but you can't do anything with it...

But a standard Blu-ray drive supports AACS 1.0 which it requires to be able to decrypt the files.

As it is James who stated this I'm inclined to believe him as he's the AnyDVD Developer so should know what he's talking about

But a standard Blu-ray drive supports AACS 1.0 which it requires to be able to decrypt the files.

As it is James who stated this I'm inclined to believe him as he's the AnyDVD Developer so should know what he's talking about

The decryption is done by the player (PowerDVD) not by the drive itself. Until there's licensed software we don't know anything about AACS 2.0

You just don't get it do you. The drive needs to authenticate. Both the drive AND the host (software or anydvd in this case) need certificates to authenticate. Since you refuse to take our word for it maybe you'll accept a paper of university computer science guys/ Take a close look at the title of section 2. "DRIVE HOST AUTHENTICATION"

https://eprint.iacr.org/2007/420.pdf

If that's still not enough, take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System click the image. Bottom left corner "DEVICE KEYS". Then go to the "Decryption section". The last few lines.

"The km is combined with the Volume ID (which the program can only get by presenting a cryptographic certificate to the drive,"

Maybe that'll be enough for you to say that the DRIVE needs to authenticate itself with the AACS on the disc.

We will see who's right soon enough....

What's sure is that AnyDVD indication of AACS version is useless right now as BU40N shows.....

Unless you think LG is doing false advertising.....

We will see who's right soon enough....

What's sure is that AnyDVD indication of AACS version is useless right now as BU40N shows.....

Unless you think LG is doing false advertising.....
AnyDVD reports, what the drive says about the supported AACS version (authentication).
What does this mean?
1.) AACS 2 could use the same authentication as AACS 1, so a new version is not necessary. From what I have read in some leaked documents, the authentication is different. But it could be the same, so from the drive's point of view a change of AACS functionality isn't required and the version stays at 1. Very unlikely, but possible.
2.) The drive supports some new authentication mechanism but the reported AACS support stays at 1. This could be an oversight, or it could be intentional for some weird backward compatibility.
3.) I made some mistake and AnyDVD always reports 1, because I am looking at the wrong byte in the drive's response.

We'll see soon enough...

AnyDVD reports, what the drive says about the supported AACS version (authentication).
What does this mean?
1.) AACS 2 could use the same authentication as AACS 1, so a new version is not necessary. From what I have read in some leaked documents, the authentication is different. But it could be the same, so from the drive's point of view a change of AACS functionality isn't required and the version stays at 1. Very unlikely, but possible.
2.) The drive supports some new authentication mechanism but the reported AACS support stays at 1. This could be an oversight, or it could be intentional for some weird backward compatibility.
3.) I made some mistake and AnyDVD always reports 1, because I am looking at the wrong byte in the drive's response.

We'll see soon enough...

Thanks James for explaining this. I wasn't trying to disregard your work in any way. I just meant we don't know much about AACS 2.0 yet.... Because half of the equation is missing (licensed playback software)

What does this mean?

We'll see soon enough...
How possible would a firmware update be that adds the ability to do AACSv2 authentication to (some) existing drives?

That's a million dollar question isn't it? First thing would be for the manufacturers to determine if it's even possible to add aacs 2.0 support via firmware. When that's been established then we can start worrying about how possible it is to get it. There's just very little known about aacs 2.0 that the only thing we can do is wait and see.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

There are "sites" out there with UHD/4K rips listed. What could these be? Player into a capture card? Upscaling a 1080p rip? Recording a web stream? I'm assuming they're not *actual* rips (haven't tried, just browsing).

Back