• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anydvd (RedFox) and UHD/AACS 2.0 - There is hope

Again no you don't. That's for streams protected with 'play ready 3.0'. It would make no sense to restrict such a demanding task to specific CPU's when video decoding and playback like that can be much better done by dedicated GPU's.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

I've tried 4k video on powerdvd16 and it lags. on mpc mad vr it plays perfect.

AACS is handled by the drive. It needs to authenticate with the discs aacs encryption. If it wasn't handled by the drives then standalones wouldn't read any blu-ray and james wouldn't been able to list the AACS version in the anydvd status window.

Hello, I just purchased a Buffalo external Blu-ray drive today because I need one for my laptop sometimes, and they advertice with UltraHD 4K Media Playback on the box, I was really surprised. Really interested to figure out what's this all about.

IMG_20170105_193329.jpg

Last edited:
very easy to find out. Check the anydvd status window. If it doesn't list "AACS support for version 2.0" it's not gonna be able to play 4k UHD. And i doubt it will, considering the only licensed manufacturer for 4K drives atm is LG and that only happened a couple weeks ago.

The wording on the box is like Cyberlinks' page, it implies what one wants to believe, but it doesn't come right out say what one wants. :rolleyes:
And that is "supports UHD Blu-ray".

Marketing lingo is very annoying, like when 3D was released.
Suddenly everything was 3D, chocolate bars, tooth paste...
A bunch of BS. :p

I'll be ordering one as soon as they become available in 3.5" drive and I have the cash. Not that I have any 4k capable discs hardware but simply to help add 4k support to AnyDVD.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

The BU40N is a super slim laptop drive. I already have one and at the moment it also states AACS 1.0 in AnyDVD

https://fccid.io/MSIP-REM-HLD-BU40N
But before you removed it you had the above link to the 40N as well. And on that page it states 'The UHD Blu-ray / DVD Writer.......'

Also just removed my BU40N from it's caddy and it has 'UHD Blu-ray/DVD Writer' written on it just like the BU50N.

Yes, as me tectpro sent the links is not noticeable to me that both have different model numbers.
Actually, I wanted to show on Ali's Drive as the BU50N

My local laptop distributor has the Bu40N as the standard ultra slimline Blu-ray drive they ship out

The BU40N is a super slim laptop drive. I already have one and at the moment it also states AACS 1.0 in AnyDVD

This is proof AnyDVD indication of AACS 1.0 doesn't mean anything at the moment.. I am positive that also my BH16NS55 can playback those discs. It wasn't advertised because UHD BDs became available after that drive model came out.

If you can read the discs, you will be able to play them as soon as playback software becomes available from Cyberlink this year

This is proof, AnyDVD indication of AACS 1.0 doesn't mean anything at the moment.. I am positive that also my BH16NS55 can playback those discs. It wasn't advertised because UHD BDs became available after that drive model came out.

If you can read the discs, you will be able to play them as soon as playback software becomes available soon from Cyberlink
Being able to write UHD blu-ray is not the same as being able to decrypt and playback UHD blu-ray. If the drive can decrypt and play why would they not advertise it as a feature?

you will be positively disappointed. AACS 2.0 support is MANDATORY for UHD BD's. IT's required by the standard, that's on top of the fact that the NS55 has already been tested and busted. It can SEE the contents, but the buck stops there. As it can't authenticate itself against the UHD contents on the disc, it cant play the contents or rip it.

LG has only been licensed a few weeks ago, at the same time with Cyberlink, to CREATE an UHD capable drive.

Being able to write UHD blu-ray is not the same as being able to decrypt and playback UHD blu-ray. If the drive can decrypt and play why would they not advertise it as a feature?

What? UHD Blu-ray is not a recording format. It's just a ROM format (read-only)

The recording format is called BDXL and has nothing to do with the UHD BD spec.

Last edited:
no, but as per my reply above. AACS 2.0 does, and your drive does NOT support either AACS 2.0 nor UHD BD's

you will be positively disappointed. AACS 2.0 support is MANDATORY for UHD BD's. IT's required by the standard, that's on top of the fact that the NS55 has already been tested and busted. It can SEE the contents, but the buck stops there. As it can't authenticate itself against the UHD contents on the disc, it cant play the contents or rip it.

LG has only been licensed a few weeks ago, at the same time with Cyberlink, to CREATE an UHD capable drive.

LG had that BD Rom 4.0 license since at least February 2016

BU40N posted above was manufactured in May 2016 and states UHD support. Way before Cyberlink had the UHD player license....

AACS 2.0 decryption will be done by PowerDVD not by the drive itself

Back