• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Samuri's *UN*Official SlyPlayer(tm) Thread

In a couple of months we will have hit the three year mark since this thread's inception. My association, as I ponder this, is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot

Still, I have faith that some day SlyPlayer will no longer be vaporware.

Why are you waiting for Slyplayer when there are a few other good and free players floating around on the web now?

Some day flying cars will be real, but that doesn't mean you don't buy a regular car now in anticipation of that.

Buy a good car now and when flying cars hit the market, buy one then.

James likes xbmc. Mpc-hc works well. VLC has just added blu-ray support in v2. Plenty of options if you look. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

The one thing I'll point out is that none of these handle menus. Not even the Speed Menu. At least not yet. SlyPlayer would be immensely useful if it supported menus.

yeah, i've kind of given up hope on slyplayer too, the good thing was that they would allow hd audio from older hdmi graphics cards but now all graphics cards and desktops/laptops support bitstreaming HD audio and other media players like vlc adding bluray support and all monitors/tv's including hdcp is making slyplayer less and less useful. PowerDVD 12 serves me well for dvd/blurays and vlc/mpc-hc for my video files. The time for sly player has come and gone. Even vso media player is pretty decent, it can play ripped blurays/dvd's from a hdd, no hd audio support yet and no menu support but i reckon they will beat slyplayer to have a fully functional player before slysoft.

Honestly I'd rather they focus on pushing out clonebd rather than a player at this point. Just a personal opinion.

Honestly I'd rather they focus on pushing out clonebd rather than a player at this point. Just a personal opinion.

I'd prefer the BD clone product before getting the free player as well, but the admittedly sparse developers chat in many threads other than this one makes me think the free player is a partial outgrowth of the creation of the BD clone program.

Could I be wrong? Oh yeah, I could. And probably am. Just some idle chat as we wait for the next Slysoft product. 8)

It was always suggested that SlyPlayer would use technology that was being built for CloneBD. And who knows, that could still end up being the case. But the pressing need for SlyPlayer has long since diminished in a lot of people's view. My own included. I mean, James has said he uses XBMC, I use J River MC17, many people use MPC-HC/ZoomPlayer/Pot Player/KM Player/etc. There are so many choices out there for pretty flawless playback that while SlyPlayer would be nice, it's not pressing anymore. Back when it was first announced, we had PowerDVD, WinDVD, and TMT. Those were your options. With the advent of Cinavia, SlyPlayer really seemed like an absolute need in the community. However, other solutions have filled the gaps over time. I mean, I can throw a disc in the drive, let AnyDVD scan it, and open MC17 and play any title on the disc with ease. Most other solutions out there at least let you open an MPLS off the disc. Bitstreaming has long been completed. Bit perfect decoding is completely possible. Subtitle support works amazingly well. Quite frankly, as far as players are concerned, I don't want for much these days.

Considering that Windows 8 basically starts the abandonment of Media Center in Windows. Virtually no changes have been made between Windows 7 and 8 and in Windows 8, Media Center is rumored to be a separate product.

So i've started trying out other players. I've already tried MC17 (16 at the time) and I love the picture quality. With Madshi's MadVR, you can't get any better than that even in many hardware players. My only disappointment was that it wasn't really useful for me since it wasn't hardware accelerated and by design, my HTPCs don't have fast processors (all use AMD Athon X2).

Last night I fiddled around with XBMC because of the mention by Samuri and I must say that I'm liking it. It has the simplicity that i'm looking for, a beautiful UI and not too much of a learning curve to get the basics down. If my wife and child can easily use it, i'm sold. The only thing i'm not too crazy about is moving into the world of MySql, plus the server/client setup, while doable, is not as easy as it is for MyMovies which i currently use.

My next tryout will go to MediaPortal, but compared to XBMC, it has a pretty high hurdle to jump and if my testing this week goes well with XBMC, i may just have a new player.

So yeah, the trend seems to be moving towards not just a player, but an entire 10 foot experience. So while SlyPlayer might be awesome as a player, i think it may have missed its time unless the gang is going to start working on.............:clap:SlyCenter:clap:

LOL! I'm invested in J River MC17. With MC17 they integrated LAV filters for splitting, audio, and video. Combined with madVR it just can't be beat IMO. With an nVidia card, LAV video can use CUVID decoding to offload decoding chores to the GPU. He has DXVA2 copy-back in LAV video so if you have a decent AMD card you can offload decoding to it, as well. I just replaced my X2 machine with a zippy little I5 Sandy Bridge. What a difference. My main HTPC is being rebuilt next week (I hope...come on, Intel!) with an Ivy Bridge i7-3770k. :D That'll be a sweet little toy. Anyway, MC17 has library functionality that quite honestly I'd miss if I didn't have it. I load it up in theater mode and with the remote I have access to my entire library on any HTPC in the house. As for XBMC, I have no experience with it. I've seen James mention it a few times and he likes it. I believe it even has madVR implemented in one version of it, as well. But no directshow codec support makes me a sad panda. LOL. In any case, yea, there are definitely enough solutions out there to make people happy. And guess what....Cinavia free, baby! :D

The simple fact that Slyplayer is being created by the same company that maintains AnyDVD makes it more likely to play the full range of DVD/BD features such as speed menus. Third party products, even the pay ones might end up being temporarily "broken" by some new/updated feature of AnyDVD decryption. Look at how DVDShrink became increasingly directly unusable to rip DVDs as AnyDVD became more powerful in decrypting, and still CloneDVD hummed along doing its work.

CloneBD first, then Slyplayer will be a nice addition. Cinavia will be the real killer if (or when) third party players, free or pay, have to begin enforcing the cinavia standard.

I disagree with a lot of that. First, if AnyDVD does something screwy that breaks my ability to play titles off a blu-ray, I'll be complaining. PLAYING is not the same as ripping. It's been said many many times. So I don't like the parallel to DVD Shrink which is a ripper. Second, I COMPLETELY take issue with your notion of "if or when" third party players have to enforce Cinavia. *NOT* going to happen. Cinavia is a licensed technology. You get Cinavia detection when you license AACS. The players I'm using, do not, and will not, license AACS. Therefore, there can not be any requirement for Cinavia as there is no licensing deal. Let's not spread nonsense. There is enough FUD out there surrounding Cinavia and impending doom and end of world.

I would like the ability to one click/button record / send a short clip ( :00 to :30 sec) of the movie/video to a file (.avi / .mpg / .mkv / etc).
Screen Capture is a biggie also.

could we have an update on slyplayer please slysoft.

The latest update to the SLYCE sticky indicates A "Player" embedded within SLYCE. Possibly this is what's left of the old Slyplayer idea?

Back