• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Samuri's *UN*Official SlyPlayer(tm) Thread

The flip side to that is that the technology needed to make a player is eerily similar to the technology needed to make CloneBD. So they aren't working at cross purposes. The underlying technology is applicable to both. A player is nothing more than outputting streams to an audio and video renderer. CloneBD is going to output streams to a new file structure. The theme here is that they need to be able to read and process the streams in the first place. That's where the huge effort is. I've said this many many times before and I'll keep repeating it until people understand this concept:

A blu-ray consists of a video stream that can be MPEG2, h.264, or VC-1, and audio stream that can be TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, PCM (and the core variants), and subtitles. The open source community has all this taken care of from bitstreaming to decoding. A blu-ray also consists of a menu system that can potentially be java. (See Source Code for a primer on why this sucks). A proper player will need to be able to parse through the menu. That is *NOT* taken care of by the open source community, and isn't likely to any time soon. However, CloneBD is going to need to be able to do that and so presumably SlyPlayer will, as well. However, we have no information as to what it will include at release. Nonetheless, the benefit of SlyPlayer is that if it can handle menu support, then it'll be a step above the current open source solutions. That's where the real meat of this project is. The OSS community has the rest already handled. Menus, however, are a pretty vital piece of the puzzle.

This was my presumption of the state of mythtv blu playback ... if I gave it the .m2ts I wanted it would play it back fine (and with VDPAU acceleration on an atom zbox hiding behind my monitor on the wall too boot). But that it would barf if I gave it a folder structure or some other thing.

So what I need is either clonebd that will give me the .m2ts I want ... or a slyplayer that I can call from a mythfe ... :)

The delay is OK; I'm sort of waiting on 4TB spindles (and some sort of track record on reliability ... the 1.5GB seagates I'm using are an RMA nightmare) before I really start to transition our library to blu.

This was my presumption of the state of mythtv blu playback ... if I gave it the .m2ts I wanted it would play it back fine (and with VDPAU acceleration on an atom zbox hiding behind my monitor on the wall too boot). But that it would barf if I gave it a folder structure or some other thing.

So what I need is either clonebd that will give me the .m2ts I want ... or a slyplayer that I can call from a mythfe ... :)

The delay is OK; I'm sort of waiting on 4TB spindles (and some sort of track record on reliability ... the 1.5GB seagates I'm using are an RMA nightmare) before I really start to transition our library to blu.

You can do what you want to do already. Use a freeware product called ClownBD (you'll find it on the forum here) that is essentially a front end for a bunch of freeware tools. It'll make a movie only, single m2ts folder structure for you. Just give your player the m2ts file if that's what it requires and you're done. ClownBD requires AnyDVD HD in order to rip discs successfully.

As of now, is there any freeware Blu-ray Players out for windows?
I would wait until this is done, but there is now ETA.

Most freeware players can now play a movie off Blu-ray. But as of yet (AFAIK) there is no way to choose which video to play off the disc. They typically play the longest playlist, so that might be the "Extended Edition" rather than the "Theatrical Release", on some discs. And no way to pick the extras without manually choosing them from an explorer window. A crude "home made" menu is in the works for mpc-hc (and maybe others), but I haven't seen any prototype, so I'm not sure even what info the menu will be able to provide, above filenames. Maybe Samuri knows more?

Also, decoding DTS-HD typically requires a licenced copy of TMT3/5, as LAV filter (normally used for this) needs to Arcsoft HD Audio decoder to do the job. There is still no open source DTS-HD decoder. If you are happy with regular DTS "core" you are fine.

Last edited:
Don't forget you can always bitstream those HD formats. :D As for title switching, I don't know MPC-HC's plan for it. There is a non-freeware player out there that does handle title switching elegantly. It basically lists all the titles in a titleset menu and allows you to pick by length. I know Nev was thinking about adding something to LAV Splitter to enable title switching for players that wish to support it. I think that feature fell off the truck. You can always do it manually if you're so inclined.

1) Scan the disc with eac3to to get the longest MPLS files
2) Pick the one you want and open the MPLS in MPC-HC

Not as elegant, but, functional.

I was talking of nev's plans to do the mpc-hc implementation himself. But, yeah, I haven't heard anything on that in quite a while.

I didn't know if MPC-HC had their own plans. Nev's is "simply" to expose the titlesets in the splitter. I'd imagine he'd do it like JRiver did in MC17...the titleset menu would show the titleset and length. It works VERY well, actually.

Well he did say that he personally would also do the mpc-hc implementation, but he may have changed his mind!

He has a LOT of stuff on his plate right now. So, it would not surprise me if that became a much lower priority. I can ask him about it. Like I said, I use MC17's title switching and it rocks.

Tomorrow is next year and a new February and a leap year. I haven't forgotten.

So is this still being worked on and ever coming out?

Slysoft said from the beginning that SlyPlayer or whatever the official name winds up being was not a top priority and it would be released after CloneBD. CloneBD has not been completed and released therefore...

Slysoft said from the beginning that SlyPlayer or whatever the official name winds up being was not a top priority and it would be released after CloneBD. CloneBD has not been completed and released therefore...

That's a shame, oh well... maybe I'll check back in another couple of years lol :eek:

I wonder if they can beat the DNF development cycle :D

Wow, I've been following the Slyplayer and CloneBD thread off and on for three years now...no, wait, I think almost four? I sure hope the delay is to include something fantastic in this software, like maybe a fix for cinavia?

Really guys, what's the holdup unless you ARE trying to include a crack for Cinavia? No disrespect intended, your software rocks, just getting impatient?

Thanks for what you do!

vlc 1.2.0 will add bluray support (doesn't support encrypted discs). Vso media player beta also supports bluray playback, no hd audio yet though.

VLC is based on libbluray so at some point in the future it will end up with menu and bd-j support. But to my knowledge neither support HD audio either through bitstreaming or decoding. Yes they can decode core but that's hardly the same thing.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

So yet another February has come and gone...

From one of the many Cinavia threads:

That is known and not so much of a problem.
I'm quite confident that before this type of protection spreads widely, our SlyPlayer is ready and that will play that kind of content.
Or any other player that doesn't have to follow the blu-ray rules - after all, it requires the player identify the protection and actively mute the sound, it's not implicit.

Can you guys at least give us another project status update? Like what's done and what remains to be done before some public beta could even be considered.

Back