• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Samuri's *UN*Official SlyPlayer(tm) Thread

I was actually curious why slysoft requires a driver where MakeMKV doesnt. Also, why AnyDVD couldnt update the the driver dynamically; keeping protection information hotplugable; or move the protection into the app itself instead of a driver.

Anydvd only needs to reboot when the driver is updated. Otherwise it does not. It tries to be smart and warn you if it thinks a reboot might be required.

Because anydvd is a kernel mode driver that removes the protection for all Apps on the system. Makemkv is simply a single application. They are completely different types of programs. A kernel mode driver needs a reboot when being updated... Just like windows updates.

Thanks for explaining. I actually only need Slysoft Ripper/Image Ripper 99% of the time. Do I still need to keep rebooting my PC with updates just to use those two apps to rip newer discs. I only use 3rd party apps to read the ripped images/directories only.

Because anydvd is a kernel mode driver that removes the protection for all Apps on the system. Makemkv is simply a single application. They are completely different types of programs. A kernel mode driver needs a reboot when being updated... Just like windows updates.

Thanks for explaining. I actually only need Slysoft Ripper/Image Ripper 99% of the time. Do I still need to keep rebooting my PC with updates just to use those two apps to rip newer discs. I only use 3rd party apps to read the ripped images/directories only.

If you're using AnyDVD to remove protection, then yes. The kernel mode driver isn't updated all that frequently. Only when they find bugs or other issues that have to be dealt with at the driver level. AnyDVD wasn't ever designed to be a ripper in the first place. That function was added for convenience. AnyDVD, unlikely most other programs (not all, simply most) was designed to be used in realtime. This is great for the HTPC crowd like myself. To play rental discs, for example, in MC16, I simply have to have AnyDVD enabled. That's it. No need to rip anything. Just stick in the disc and watch. The same will apply to SlyPlayer when that's released. The reboots on occasion might be a pain, but, I'll take that in order to have realtime protection removal.

Let me be perfectly blunt. I don't really care either way. :) Quite frankly, SlyPlayer has become less and less interesting to me as time has gone on. The only thing that would be nice is menu support. And that's not guaranteed to happen in SlyPlayer initially anyway. (We simply don't know what's going to be in SlyPlayer). I've got bitstreaming, movie only playback from disc, insanely incredible rendering thanks to madVR, library management, and tons of MKV's in my library. I can't really ask for more. Disc playback I use for lesser watched titles I own that I don't bother to rip and for rentals. MKV playback for all my backups. And I ain't gotta worry about no Cinavia crap, either. So yes, SlyPlayer might end up being a nice player at some point, and I'll definitely take a look at it when it comes out, but, it's much less critical to me than it was a year ago.

Let me be perfectly blunt. I don't really care either way. :) Quite frankly, SlyPlayer has become less and less interesting to me as time has gone on. The only thing that would be nice is menu support. And that's not guaranteed to happen in SlyPlayer initially anyway. (We simply don't know what's going to be in SlyPlayer). I've got bitstreaming, movie only playback from disc, insanely incredible rendering thanks to madVR, library management, and tons of MKV's in my library. I can't really ask for more. Disc playback I use for lesser watched titles I own that I don't bother to rip and for rentals. MKV playback for all my backups. And I ain't gotta worry about no Cinavia crap, either. So yes, SlyPlayer might end up being a nice player at some point, and I'll definitely take a look at it when it comes out, but, it's much less critical to me than it was a year ago.

MC16 is nice. Your info on it and my testing the trial version got me to buy it some time back. Red October as part of MC16 is sweet and easy. I also must admit that for some quick down and dirty use VSO Media Player is very handy.

I'd love to see SlyPlayer released [to shut certain people up] and I would use it but I surely don't need it with the combo different software options and my standalone players.

MC16 is nice. Your info on it and my testing the trial version got me to buy it some time back. Red October as part of MC16 is sweet and easy. I also must admit that for some quick down and dirty use VSO Media Player is very handy.

I'd love to see SlyPlayer released [to shut certain people up] and I would use it but I surely don't need it with the combo different software options and my standalone players.

Yea, MC16 rocks. J River has done a lot with it and it's been great. VSO Media Player I haven't played with that much. I keep a custom MPC-HC build up to date as my backup player and to do testing.

SlyPlayer would still be great to have. I'm just not as anxious about its release as I was in the past. I definitely will be checking it out when it's released and keeping it installed on all my machines, but, at this point, it'd be hard to beat what I already have.

Time is creeping on...updates seem to have gone very quiet..:confused:

June 24, 2009 since the first post saying that a new Slysoft player is coming. I think the joke is on us.:bang:

Any chance we could have a member from Slysoft in here and give us an update on if this is still being worked on? I (for one) would happily pay for this software as/when/if it is released.

My own request for features is to just expand on the screen grab feature and hope that you can make it so it does screen shots/thumbnails like MPC does or Video Thumbnails Maker. If you can then I would be one happy bunny!

Jedi81.

June 24, 2009 since the first post saying that a new Slysoft player is coming. I think the joke is on us.:bang:

Joke!?? Why!? PowerDVD took longer than that to get stable and they started from an established codebase, not to mention being a much larger company.

There are many on here who can remember the mess that Arcsoft TotalMedia was when it first came out. It too took a while to get stable.

I mention these because these are companies who have software players as a primary focus of what they do. There's alot of knowledge that they don't have to aquire.

Slysoft on the other hand is starting from scratch and so do have a learning curve, not to mention properly implementing thier ideas. While two years might be a long time if you're just sitting around twittling your thumbs, it's not really a large amount of time for a major software project for a small team that has to aquire a lot of the knowledge on the fly.

Lastly, with the proliferation of free players, Slysoft has to question from a business standpoint whether a player is even worth it considering the man hours that will be spent. I'm sure Peer and the gang don't come cheap so it begs the question should we spend the time on a player that may have missed it's need or do we concentrate on CloneBD and updating AnyDVDHD (which is no easy task considering the number of protections that are cooked up by the studios).

Think about it. A quick search on Videohelp.com will give you enough tools to do basically anything you wanted to do with a DVD/Bluray. You can slice it, dice it, put it over the fire and grill it. Then when it's done, you can find a decent freeware player to play it. In light of all that, if Slysoft wants to take thier time to get it right or concentrate on other things, I for one am okay with that.

I have much more things to do in my life than sit around and twittle my thumbs.

The flip side to that is that the technology needed to make a player is eerily similar to the technology needed to make CloneBD. So they aren't working at cross purposes. The underlying technology is applicable to both. A player is nothing more than outputting streams to an audio and video renderer. CloneBD is going to output streams to a new file structure. The theme here is that they need to be able to read and process the streams in the first place. That's where the huge effort is. I've said this many many times before and I'll keep repeating it until people understand this concept:

A blu-ray consists of a video stream that can be MPEG2, h.264, or VC-1, and audio stream that can be TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, PCM (and the core variants), and subtitles. The open source community has all this taken care of from bitstreaming to decoding. A blu-ray also consists of a menu system that can potentially be java. (See Source Code for a primer on why this sucks). A proper player will need to be able to parse through the menu. That is *NOT* taken care of by the open source community, and isn't likely to any time soon. However, CloneBD is going to need to be able to do that and so presumably SlyPlayer will, as well. However, we have no information as to what it will include at release. Nonetheless, the benefit of SlyPlayer is that if it can handle menu support, then it'll be a step above the current open source solutions. That's where the real meat of this project is. The OSS community has the rest already handled. Menus, however, are a pretty vital piece of the puzzle.

First version I tried of TMT still gives me nightmares. Looked like a rebrand of an even older version of PowerDVD, but unstable. IIRC I used PDVD since 2.5 or 2.55. TMT3 and all the crap PDVD8 went through made me switch my opinions of them.

the benefit of SlyPlayer is that if it can handle menu support, then it'll be a step above the current open source solutions. That's where the real meat of this project is. The OSS community has the rest already handled. Menus, however, are a pretty vital piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for that Samuri. I only have a vague idea of what it takes to write a proper player from looking over the code of some of the open source players out there. From what you're saying, it looks like Slyplayer will bring something new to the game that isn't already out there so I think it's a player worth waiting for.

I was just trying to respond to those post where people seem to think that even talented developers can just whip up a good player overnight. Just from my limited knowledge of being a software developer for a financial company, I'm aware that completing a project from start to finish can be a big undertaking. I don't know all the obstacles that Slysoft faces in putting out a player, but I guess I trust them that they are working as best they can to put out a good player.

Hopefully once they get the Bluray menus figured out, that will be a big milestone in the projects and both Slyplayer and CloneBD developement will wrap up much quicker.

I'm more anticipating CloneBD than Slyplyer only because i'm thinking Slyplayer won't work inside of Media Center?? I would love to have it be able to replace the Media Center player, but i don't think that's going to happen.

In any case, i just think that patience is a virtue and we'll get a good player when it's done.

Remember I don't have any "inside knowledge" of what SlySoft is planning for SlyPlayer. However, menu support would definitely give SlyPlayer an advantage and I really don't see how CloneBD could work properly without being able to parse the menus. As such, since the menus can potentially be in java and we know that some of the protections are implemented in java, well, you can see how that presents a....challenge. One that must be solved in CloneBD afaik, so, they should be able to do it in SlyPlayer, too. Again, I'm just speculating, but, it's a logical assumption. Personally I'm waiting more for CloneBD, as well. But I really do believe CloneBD and SlyPlayer are highly related.

Curiosity - has Slysoft ever confirmed they are planning to implement Java menus, or at least trying to, or is this just speculation?

Nope, just me speculating as I was hoping to make clear in my post. They have only ever said they are working on a freeware player that we all nicknamed "SlyPlayer". :D What the capabilities are, we have no idea. The speculation is based on semi-uneducated guesses about what CloneBD needs to be able to do in order to function correctly. If they have the functionality for CloneBD then they could use it in SlyPlayer, as well, but, again, no one has any idea at all what's going to be in the finished product.

Back