• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request Option to download ONLY the subtitles

ClicketyClack

I have no idea how much work it would require to implement, but if it's not too much hassle I'd love to see an option to download ONLY the subtitles.

I have the work-around of downloading the lowest resolution video just to get the subtitles, so I have an acceptable solution, this is just something that would be nice to have available.

Thank you!

Maybe it's just me, but isn't that a very rare use case?
What would you do with the subtitles without a video?

Anyway, I'm not sure here, but I guess there are other tools for that ... as the subtitles surely are not DRM protected.

It IS sort of a rare case, but I've transitioned from great hearing to not-so-great hearing. I have a boatload of movies and shows that I didn't bother to get the subtitles for. Now that I need them, I've found a surprising number of them available on my streaming services.

I certainly could just download movie & sub, (and maybe that's what I should be doing), but it would be significantly faster to download just the subtitles.

As I said though, this isn't a big "Help me!" kind of thing. Maybe just when the devs are in there doing other stuff that could add that.

EDIT: just to add that I know about Subscene, etc., but using AS for this would be much faster and easier.

EDIT 2: My Emby server gives downloading missing subtitles the old college try, but the results are iffy at best, with the subs being out of sync with the video.

:)

Last edited:
Try some of the suggestions from here

Wow, thank you! I searched before I posted and didn't find anything. I guess I need to polish my searching skills before I jump into a new post. Reading through that now...

Yes, I remember that was requested before.
Maybe it's already on the developers list.
But as long as Netflix isn't back to Full HD, all other additions are postponed ... so don't expect a solution anytime soon ;)

Yes, I remember that was requested before.
Maybe it's already on the developers list.
But as long as Netflix isn't back to Full HD, all other additions are postponed ... so don't expect a solution anytime soon ;)
Yes, or really - EVER. I can easily deal with this in other ways. Those downloader scripts look to be the easy approach and I found others for other services not listed in the older post. I never thought to look into something like that, so now I have some homework to do on getting this set up!

I have the work-around of downloading the lowest resolution video just to get the subtitles, so I have an acceptable solution, this is just something that would be nice to have available.

Thank you!
External subs are the first thing to download so there's no need to select the lowest resolution video and no need to allow a given download to complete. Start a given download. After a second or two abort the download. The external sub and partial MP4 are retained when the download is aborted.

External subs are the first thing to download so there's no need to select the lowest resolution video and no need to allow a given download to complete. Start a given download. After a second or two abort the download. The external sub and partial MP4 are retained when the download is aborted.
It depends. Some providers like Max, Disney (need to confirm) and Paramount use segmented subtitles. For these, that will not work and will be incomplete. It will work on other providers like Amazon, Netflix and others because they use one file per subtitle.

Tested with Max, I let it run for about ~6 seconds and then checked the external subs and they stopped at 36 minutes and the movie is almost 2 hours.

Back