• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New PowerDVD 8 Update to build 1730

What differences will I notice if I upgrade. Will I notice anything other than no HD DVD play back

I find PowerDVD8 to have better PQ and it just seems more stable to me under both XP Pro 32-bit and Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Is it possible for you to detail how to get HD DVD playback

Seems to be alot of discussion back and forth on the correct procedure. Is it possible to run both 7 and 8 to handle that.
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a random question. I installed the latest patch but even though its installed, powerdvd keeps popping up and saying that a new patch is available which is the same one I downloaded (1730(b)). Does thi shappen to anyone else?

I have a random question. I installed the latest patch but even though its installed, powerdvd keeps popping up and saying that a new patch is available which is the same one I downloaded (1730(b)). Does thi shappen to anyone else?

Yup same here.

Seems to be alot of discussion back and forth on the correct procedure. Is it possible to run both 7 and 8 to handle that.

Yes, I run both the latest version of PDVD7 and PDVD8 and didn't need to go through any special procedure to do so. Just installed PDVD7 then PDVD8.

Sam

VC-1 acceleration has never worked on the ATi x1xxx series and AVC/H.264 acceleration (as rudimentary as it was) only up to 1080i, not 1080p.
I used to have an x1800xl until recently.

S.

Ok, ok... You all talked me into it:

2 DIAMOND 4850PE3512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Item #: N82E16814103060
Standard Return Policy $399.98
$379.98
($189.99 ea)

I should have them Friday or monday. :)

Little bastards better work too! :p

I just dropped a 3850 *AGP*, yes, you read that right, AGP, card into my ancient 2500+ XP machine today. Damn thing ROCKS! I'm impressed, I'll admit. ATI did a great job with their HD playback and these cards. The crap you're getting...yeaaaaaa, it's insanely nice. :) 2 streams at once! Fully accelerated. SWEET. :)

Step 5 - Your order has shipped. !!! I put the order in at 3:50pm pacific. Newegg defiantly has its moments. :)

The 4850 sounded great to me. I paid $499 for just one of the two 1900xtx cards that I will be replacing. The crossfire on the 1900 was a letdown as many games I wanted to play either did not support it or had little improvement and it had the external crossfire cable and you could only have one display running with crossfire and some versions of the driver/games required a reboot after changing the crossfire setting. I’m hoping for a better experience this time as there are many more dual GOU cards and SLI/Crossfire setups. Yes, I’m really looking forward to the new ATI UVD2 stuff. Not sure what I would do with two streams though. :)

2 streams allows you to do the PiP stuff on Blu-ray profile 1.1 titles without using any CPU cycles. So, yea, it's nice. I wish I had that. Next machine.

Step 5 - Your order has shipped. !!! I put the order in at 3:50pm pacific. Newegg defiantly has its moments. :)

The 4850 sounded great to me. I paid $499 for just one of the two 1900xtx cards that I will be replacing. The crossfire on the 1900 was a letdown as many games I wanted to play either did not support it or had little improvement and it had the external crossfire cable and you could only have one display running with crossfire and some versions of the driver/games required a reboot after changing the crossfire setting. I’m hoping for a better experience this time as there are many more dual GOU cards and SLI/Crossfire setups. Yes, I’m really looking forward to the new ATI UVD2 stuff. Not sure what I would do with two streams though. :)

Let me know if the heat inside your case can pop a bag of popcorn while playing games, please (the 4850s use single slot coolers; under full load you're going to be looking at gpus dumping over 95C of heat into your case from two cards . . . unless you're into watercooling). ;)

Actually, I'm pretty interested (from a heat aspect; please let me know how it goes).

Last edited:
Let me know if the heat inside your case can pop a bag of popcorn while playing games, please (the 4850s use single slot coolers; under full load you're going to be looking at gpus dumping over 95C of heat into your case from two cards . . . unless you're into watercooling). ;)

Actually, I'm pretty interested (from a heat aspect; please let me know how it goes).

I was hoping on driving one of these with a passive cooler. The Accelero S1 does even better than my single-slot cooler, so that might be an option, though it'd have to be on my workstation PC, not on the HTPC. I sure hope the upcoming 4650 can be handled by my passive Zalman VNF100 for the HT though. Vector Adaptive deinterlacing is not working fully with my 3450 (the latest 8.6 drivers even disabled it completely it seems), and I would also like a little 7.1 PCM HDMI love.

Hmm . . . The what? :confused:

Anyway, aftermarket coolers will definitely be the way to go. I will be looking at the 4870x2 in mid-august.

I don't know if that was a typo about the 4650 actually I've already seen a few comments here and there about other 4xxx cards after the 4850/4870 launch and included was mention of a 4650.

ATI Radeon 4650:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?h.../page/83180/Zdjecia-coolerow-nowych-Radeonow/

And this link has specs for the 4650:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=de|en&u=http://www.hartware.de/news_44085.html

I don't know if that was a typo about the 4650 actually I've already seen a few comments here and there about other 4xxx cards after the 4850/4870 launch and included was mention of a 4650.

Oh thanks for the info. I haven't heard of that lower end stuff, mostly I'm guessing because I have no interest (if the card doesn't improve both video and gaming--well, mostly gaming--for me, then I don't care ;)).

Yeah, it wasn't a typo. I thought it was pretty much a given that 4600 and 4400 cards will come soon enough, though I haven't heard much about them lately. There have been roadmaps published (though not officially I guess, but they're nothing unexpected). Google.

It will be!!!!!.... water cooled...

:)

I have a Zalman Reserator 1 and 2 in series with my two video cards, CPU and north bridge. Not super duper cooling but dead quite and it takes all the heat out of the case so other components benefit. Not a sound, it kicks ass but that’s just me.

Me setup:

Last edited:
I’ve got the 4850s in now and the HD play is great. 28 Weeks Latter now stays at 15-40% and I can open Web pages without causing lag. With the 1900s if I just moved the mouse it would lag sometimes. Gaming wise it’s another big disappointment. Supreme Commander goes from 46fps to 73fps with Crossfire on but Team Fortress 2 is slower with Crossfire on. :( I may return them for a 4870 but I have two diplays and it nice to have the second card for HDMI to the TV.

Back