• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New PowerDVD 8 Update to build 1730

Weird. Cloverfield is VC-1 and 28 Weeks Later is AVC. So it doesn't seem to be dependant on video codec. Cloverfield doesn't have BD+, either, so, that's not it.
FWIW, I played a decontaminated backup of Cloverfield with zero issues the other day, with PDVD 8 (first patch) and Daemon Tools.
The only disappointment was, I expected "more" from the TrueHD track. Thought it should sound considerably better than the 448 DD track of the DVD but it doesn't (imho).

S.

Haven't seen it yet. It's on my list to rent. Don't think I'll buy that one. Kung Fu Panda, however, is now on my must buy list for release day. I just took my son to see it. My kind of movie. :)

Yes, I can’t wait for the Panda. :)

Momber – I did some tinkering with the HD audio settings using the 8 channel analog out to me AVR with Ratatouille the first time I tried the 8 channel analog out with my sound card. For the most part the Dolby Digital tack sounds the same as the HD audio, especially when I’m just into the movie. There was a fuller sound but I had to toggle back and forth many times to feel it out. The surround audio on the other hand is much improved. There is one part in the beginning where the old lady in the house clicks on the light before she starts shooting up the place and on the DD tack it not as clear and sounds like its coming from the front left. With the HD audio it’s much clearer/cleaner and comes distinctly from the side left. It seems to make sense as the DD tack surrounds (I think) are not discrete.

Me Setup, still working on it....

Yes, I can’t wait for the Panda. :)

Momber – I did some tinkering with the HD audio settings using the 8 channel analog out to me AVR with Ratatouille the first time I tried the 8 channel analog out with my sound card. For the most part the Dolby Digital tack sounds the same as the HD audio, especially when I’m just into the movie. There was a fuller sound but I had to toggle back and forth many times to feel it out. The surround audio on the other hand is much improved. There is one part in the beginning where the old lady in the house clicks on the light before she starts shooting up the place and on the DD tack it not as clear and sounds like its coming from the front left. With the HD audio it’s much clearer/cleaner and comes distinctly from the side left. It seems to make sense as the DD tack surrounds (I think) are not discrete.

Me Setup, still working on it....

I am not 100% clear what you are comparing to - do u mean you are comparing standalone player 8 channels analog out or 8 channel analog sound card out or HDMI from standalone player?

Sorry, Dolby Digital (AC3) vs. the TrueHD audio tracks, both from PowerDVD. The Dolby Digital was coaxial digital audio output direct to my Denon 5803 and the TrueHD was from the sound card with the eight channel RCA audio cable.

Sorry, Dolby Digital (AC3) vs. the TrueHD audio tracks, both from PowerDVD. The Dolby Digital was coaxial digital audio output direct to my Denon 5803 and the TrueHD was from the sound card with the eight channel RCA audio cable.

What sort of sound card are you using? DAC is very important and as far as I know, there is not a whole lot of good HTPC DAC card out there can do a nice 8 channel analogue out today.

Since both come from PDVD, down sampled, perhaps you should wait unit they are not down sample then you will hear a big different.

Reloaded 2.1 ...now supports patch 1730U(b) with HD-DVD

I only have HD-DVD VC-1 discs. Anyone wanna try it with AVC HD-DVDs? :eek:

Read about it here.

What sort of sound card are you using? DAC is very important and as far as I know, there is not a whole lot of good HTPC DAC card out there can do a nice 8 channel analogue out today.

Since both come from PDVD, down sampled, perhaps you should wait unit they are not down sample then you will hear a big different.

I just have a Creative X-Fi card for now. The analog output sounds better overall but the Dolby Digital is way cleaner as far as static or hum when I hit pause I can hear it with the analog outputs but it is coming from a PC and I’ve added RCA cable extensions so it can reach my receiver. I can’t wait to get HD audio digitally to a new (AVR-5308CI maybe) receiver that supports it. I hope someone gets it working soon. I think the biggest effect will be because the receivers DACs will be decoding locally and then sending the signal directly to its amps not so much the removal of the down sampling.

I just have a Creative X-Fi card for now. The analog output sounds better overall but the Dolby Digital is way cleaner as far as static or hum when I hit pause I can hear it with the analog outputs but it is coming from a PC and I’ve added RCA cable extensions so it can reach my receiver. I can’t wait to get HD audio digitally to a new (AVR-5308CI maybe) receiver that supports it. I hope someone gets it working soon. I think the biggest effect will be because the receivers DACs will be decoding locally and then sending the signal directly to its amps not so much the removal of the down sampling.

DAC is very important. If I were you I will probably not going to do that in HTPC's sound card and let the AVR/pre-amp to do that. You might also want to consider the ATI 4850 GC since it can do 8 channels LPCM or Asus Xonar HDMI1.3, bundle with special TMT build and will able to have loseless format stream to AVR/pre-amp via HDMI1.3.

BD Audio way out of synch?

Hi all,

Anyone experiencing Blu-Ray audio way out of synch with this latest patch?

So annoying.

Hi all,

Anyone experiencing Blu-Ray audio way out of synch with this latest patch?

So annoying.

do u mean the PDVD B patch? I watched 2 BD, one last night and one today but I didn't notice any at all...

What's the advantage of going with PowerDVD 8?

It looks like there has been some great work in the community to keep HD DVD support in PowerDVD 8 (and I can confirm that the below does work)

In pondering the fact that Cyberlink may well make it harder and harder to keep these workarounds going with later updates - my question is what is the benefit of v8 over PowerDVD 7 Ultra anyway?

From what I understand PowerDVD 7 Ultra plays HD DVD + Bluray. It also (so I understand) plays files from disk rather than having to mount ISO's - what makes us want to go to v8? Are there some HD Audio features that 8 brings to the table?

Thanks

No, I said you can comment out the line

997E77E6-664D-4987-B461-AF789BFBB51F=CLSID_CLHDDVDNAV ;HDDVDNav.ax

in the file CLDShowX.ini in the PowerDVD8 directory.

You still need to install the PDVD8 beta HD-DVD files.

You need to install PDVD7.3.4102, too.

Last edited:
there is not a whole lot of good HTPC DAC card out there can do a nice 8 channel analogue out today.
...nor a 6ch for that matter. I fully agree on the DAC statement. The borrowed Audigy 2 NX I'm evaluating at present is certainly not a desireable solution for NextGen audio. I think I have cotton balls in my ears all the time.
I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 Rev. 4 on order at present (mainly because it has a control panel that allows proper configuration of bass management, speaker delay etc.) - let's see how that fares...

S.

my question is what is the benefit of v8 over PowerDVD 7 Ultra anyway?
I was asking myself the exact same thing last night and went back to 7.3 Ultra and installed the latest patch for that (from May). I found that with the latest patches applied to both v.7.3 and 8.0, PQ is exactly identical, bit for bit, imho.
I don't want to comment on audio at the moment because of my aforementioned soundcard woes.

But 7.3 plays HD-DVDs out of the box, and BluRays, obviously, and it can be skinned with some really nice skins available on the net (who else is tired of that v8.0 window?) and it doesn't do that stupid "rate this disc" thing and so forth on SD DVDs.
Using the 7.3 Cyberlink filters (both video and audio) in ZoomPlayer also works fine.

So for the time being I'm back with 7.3 Ultra.

plays files from disk rather than having to mount ISO's
Only outdated versions do, actually.

Are there some HD Audio features that 8 brings to the table?
I dunno. You tell me!

S.

I was asking myself the exact same thing last night and went back to 7.3 Ultra and installed the latest patch for that (from May). I found that with the latest patches applied to both v.7.3 and 8.0, PQ is exactly identical, bit for bit, imho.
I don't want to comment on audio at the moment because of my aforementioned soundcard woes.

But 7.3 plays HD-DVDs out of the box, and BluRays, obviously, and it can be skinned with some really nice skins available on the net (who else is tired of that v8.0 window?) and it doesn't do that stupid "rate this disc" thing and so forth on SD DVDs.
Using the 7.3 Cyberlink filters (both video and audio) in ZoomPlayer also works fine.

So for the time being I'm back with 7.3 Ultra.

Only outdated versions do, actually.

I dunno. You tell me!

S.

i completly agree i was using powerdvd 8 but i got really annoyed by the movie live stuff and like you said theres not to much of a difference or at least any that will bother me at least that would bother me. maybe if they take that movie stuff off or make it an option ill reconsider, i think they plan on making it an option in the future

Weird. Cloverfield is VC-1 and 28 Weeks Later is AVC. So it doesn't seem to be dependant on video codec. Cloverfield doesn't have BD+, either, so, that's not it. Hardware acceleration could very much be the issue, though. If it's not enabled, it'll rely on the CPU. With some of these codecs, the cpu will definitely spike. I'm not sure what's going on with the older movies...probably because they're not profile 1.1 or BD Live titles maybe. Profile 1.1 caused a bunch of problems when they first came out. In any case, it sounds like an acceleration problem maybe. Other than that, I don't really know.

I have Vista 32 and an ATI X1900 card with the Avivo drivers installed and while the Enable hardware acceleration (ATI Avivo) is selected it is not making any difference and it grayed out during playback. I can uncheck it and the CPU usage is the same.

Also, when looking for information I fund this: Can PowerDVD 8 and PowerDVD 7.x/Ultra co-exist on the same computer?
The full version of CyberLink PowerDVD 8 can coexist with previous versions of PowerDVD. However, the upgrade version cannot coexist, which means the upgrade version will uninstall previous versions and then install CyberLink PowerDVD 8. If you want to continue to play back your HD DVDs, you will have to purchase the full version of CyberLink PowerDVD 8.

I got the upgrade and they both seem to be working. ???

No one has ever accused Cyberlink of being consistent. Yea, everyone was told that but it doesn't seem to be true. And without a doubt it sounds like HA is disabled no matter what you do. That seems bad and is definitely the cause of your stuttering issues on certain discs. I'm not using ATI so I have no idea how to assist you on that one. Maybe check out AVS Forum and see if anyone there has any advice.

I have Vista 32 and an ATI X1900 card
VC-1 acceleration has never worked on the ATi x1xxx series and AVC/H.264 acceleration (as rudimentary as it was) only up to 1080i, not 1080p.
I used to have an x1800xl until recently.

S.

Is it worth updating to build 1730

What differences will I notice if I upgrade. Will I notice anything other than no HD DVD play back
________
PRILOSEC WITHDRAW

Last edited by a moderator:
Back