• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New PowerDVD 8 Update to build 1730

By that time, I can sell you my Onkyo 885 pre-amp cheap in order to compensate all the stuff you taught me ;) since I will have my Theta Casablanca III HDMI but you need get some amps to do that.

Nice setup. See, in THAT case, yea, your receiver should definitely be doing the job for you! No sound card is going to match the DAC on that. I have a low-midrange Yamaha receiver right now so the sound card is pretty well an even match. (I call it a crappy realtek but in reality it has some pretty decent sound output. Which, honestly, I don't understand but as I said earlier, I'm just gonna go with it. I'd expect a level of hum out of the thing due to interference and I don't get that at all with this thing. I have NO IDEA why, either. It just works.) Now, is that going to match the sound quality on a decent Onkyo with an Auzentech with preamps? Um, yea, how about no. :) But given what I currently have to work with, it's the best sound I can get. When you have a higher end setup like yours, yeaaaaaa, you want something better than any sound card is going to give you for sure.

Everyone has to decide what sounds the best for themselves. All equipment is going to be different and sound different. The acoustics in the room you're watching it in is going to make a difference on the sound, obviously. If you're happy with SPDIF then that's a great thing. :)

In my Onkyo 885 today, they have something called Audessy and it is pretty amazing stuff to me. I feel the sound it really coming toward to me like in my old day, some of my big acoustic panels effect.

In my Onkyo 885 today, they have something called Audessy and it is pretty amazing stuff to me. I feel the sound it really coming toward to me like in my old day, some of my big acoustic panels effect.

Onkyo has done a pretty good job on their stuff. I'd like one of the newer ones with 3 or 4 HDMI ports as it would greatly simplify my life. If I ever do get an Onkyo and a new speaker set, I then have the fun job of convincing my wife to let me move the yamaha into the bedroom. We'll so definitely need a new entertainment center for that. :D She definitely likes being able to lay in bed and watch HD movies now so I'm at least half way there. :D

Onkyo has done a pretty good job on their stuff. I'd like one of the newer ones with 3 or 4 HDMI ports as it would greatly simplify my life. If I ever do get an Onkyo and a new speaker set, I then have the fun job of convincing my wife to let me move the yamaha into the bedroom. We'll so definitely need a new entertainment center for that. :D She definitely likes being able to lay in bed and watch HD movies now so I'm at least half way there. :D

Yes, most Onkyo has few HDMI in but I like to point out that some of them like mine got 2 HDMI out so I have 1 to my plasma and the other one can go elsewhere in my case bed room. That might be the excuse for you to sell the one you have and get an Onkyo pre 2 HDMI out for 2 locations.

Last edited:
Now that Denon has lost a huge chunk of my trust as a brand, do you guys recommend Onkyo, Yamaha, Harman, Pioneer? I'd like Dolby features such as Dolby Headphone and DPLII, and I hear that some features don't work over RCA analog, does Onkyo do that?

No idea about the Dolby Headphone stuff, but, I'm definitely getting an Onkyo for my next receiver. No question. I like yamaha I really do, but, they haven't kept up in the price range I'm looking at. Onkyo is a good blend of quality, features, and price.

Well, I just got violated by my car dealer, so no more spending for me for a couple of months I guess. Don't you miss those days where a freaking car didn't need to be plugged to a proprietary computer only accessible to the freaking dealer just to see why the hell the freaking "SRS" light is on?

Oh yeah, and $360 for changing a part of a manual window?

Oh, well, I guess I'll just look into origami as my next hobbie.

Ah yes, those are good times! That's why I was delayed getting my 40" Samsung for the bedroom. My wife took the van in for an oil change, came out with a 1300 dollar repair bill. YIPPIE! :D

Origami is not cheap. :) Paper folding requires a good stock of paper and a LOT of patience. I used to do it as a kid. I wish I knew where the hell my good origami book was. My grandmother gave me that book.

Well, apropos of the theme of these forums, I read something some time ago in some forum which I can't source. It went something like "The difference between a car mechanic and a computer technician is that the mechanic knows when he's lying to you." God I know both are true.

Now that Denon has lost a huge chunk of my trust as a brand, do you guys recommend Onkyo, Yamaha, Harman, Pioneer? I'd like Dolby features such as Dolby Headphone and DPLII, and I hear that some features don't work over RCA analog, does Onkyo do that?

I wouldn't doubt the quality of their recievers based on this admittedly, rediculously overpriced piece of wasteful consumerism. Their recievers have been tested in numerous magazines and other sources and come out legit. You don't get people to even believe you can sell a $500 piece of string unless you actually do sell SOMETHING worth money. Sony makes rootkits, DRM schemes that don't work, and who knows what else they are planning. Does that mean that thier recievers aren't good anymore (the answer is NO by the way).

So the same with Denon. Someone at the company decided that why should Monster Cable have all the idiots who think that a highly over engineered wire with alot of rubber and foil on it transmitts electrons somehow better than a standard UL certified wire from Wally World.

Just do your homework. Read reviews online and home theater magazines. Denon, Onkyo, Sony, they all make quality stuff in the mid to high level range. It depends on the features you want at the price you want to pay.

I wouldn't doubt the quality of their recievers based on this admittedly, rediculously overpriced piece of wasteful consumerism. Their recievers have been tested in numerous magazines and other sources and come out legit. You don't get people to even believe you can sell a $500 piece of string unless you actually do sell SOMETHING worth money. Sony makes rootkits, DRM schemes that don't work, and who knows what else they are planning. Does that mean that thier recievers aren't good anymore (the answer is NO by the way).

So the same with Denon. Someone at the company decided that why should Monster Cable have all the idiots who think that a highly over engineered wire with alot of rubber and foil on it transmitts electrons somehow better than a standard UL certified wire from Wally World.

Just do your homework. Read reviews online and home theater magazines. Denon, Onkyo, Sony, they all make quality stuff in the mid to high level range. It depends on the features you want at the price you want to pay.

Being a first time Onkyo owner, I can't speak enough good thing about my Onkyo 885 same as Integra 9.8. Have all the bell and whistle consumer needs for today market, build quality very good, so far zero problem, east set up...

I didn't say that at all. I know Denon's receivers are good, they just have lost trust with me, and I don't feel like rewarding a company that stoops that low even if they do sell something valuable. There are other options perfectly competitive, hence my asking.

Same reason I try not to buy Sony, but in that case, it's kinda different too, because Sony is such a huge company and the culprit was the BMG division I guess. I've not much problem with the PlayStation brand. Still the Sony brand as a whole has been smeared in my view with all the other BS like proprietary formats and other DRM schemes. They did get hurt by all that, especially when they came soooo late to the MP3 market because they just HAD to do their ATRAC thing. Of course it would catch on. Of course.

In this whole Denon cable tragicomedy there are people who say who cares as long as they too deliver good products. I think they do, but I just don't feel like rewarding them. Personal opinion. It's just an ethical issue for me more than convenience or value, and in this case it's easy to steer away from Denon because of good competition.

By the way, you CAN in fact get people to buy super expensive worthless stuff even if you don't sell anything else worth of value. I like the lower-end $30 Monster cables, but if you look higher up in the snake-oil chain, companies like Transparent and others are pure unadulterated prime snake-oil.

There was just a few days ago an article by the great Ben Goldacre of the Guardian referencing some interesting studies done. It seemed pretty in time for the Denon thing. Here's the same article on his website with links. His website is an excellent read for skeptics there's good info on the placebo effect too.

Last edited:
FWIW, my new M-Audio Revolution card sucks, too. Between the hum, the hiss and the crackle, its major shortcomings are: poor dynamic response, shallow bass and too low overall volume (pre-amp voltage). And the driver control panel is really stupid, too.
So as far as I'm concerned, DTS 1.5mbit via SPDIF still rules the HTPC world.
BTW, I have a 1998 Yamaha A-1 amp and its 6ch input is not the problem. I normally use it to listen to SACD and DVD-A from a standalone player and I'm very happy with the (analogue) sound there.

S.

FWIW, my new M-Audio Revolution card sucks, too. Between the hum, the hiss and the crackle, its major shortcomings are: poor dynamic response, shallow bass and too low overall volume (pre-amp voltage). And the driver control panel is really stupid, too.
So as far as I'm concerned, DTS 1.5mbit via SPDIF still rules the HTPC world.
BTW, I have a 1998 Yamaha A-1 amp and its 6ch input is not the problem. I normally use it to listen to SACD and DVD-A from a standalone player and I'm very happy with the (analogue) sound there.

S.

I'm pretty happy in the analog world right now with my Asus Xonar DX, and that's not even the "high-end" one. It's very silent. I can't hear any noise even with high-sensitivity earphones. The noise with my Sondigo Inferno was very audible in comparison, although the output is loud enough that if you had a low-gain amp input, you could get away with lowering the noise and still make the actual sound acceptably loud.

For me, I just looked up prices on the Onkyo 606 yesterday and probably shouldn't have. $359 delivered. FRACK ME! I will not be able to resist that for very long. It's the perfect receiver for my set up. I get about 400-500 bucks in "play money" next month so I'll probably get one at that point if they stay at or lower than that price. I mean, holy hell. I'm also going to throw one of these in the mix:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/

It removes vibrations from the floor from your sub woofer. I'm told it gives you a much richer sound experience. Nonetheless, I think I'll pull the trigger on the Onkyo soon enough at that price. HDMI audio, here I come. :D

For me, I just looked up prices on the Onkyo 606 yesterday and probably shouldn't have. $359 delivered. FRACK ME! I will not be able to resist that for very long. It's the perfect receiver for my set up. I get about 400-500 bucks in "play money" next month so I'll probably get one at that point if they stay at or lower than that price. I mean, holy hell. I'm also going to throw one of these in the mix:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/

It removes vibrations from the floor from your sub woofer. I'm told it gives you a much richer sound experience. Nonetheless, I think I'll pull the trigger on the Onkyo soon enough at that price. HDMI audio, here I come. :D

Damn. That's about $2 cheaper than what my manual window mechanism part exchange cost. I should have just left all the folded pieces of paper there holding the window up just for a little while. I'd had it like that for years anyway.

That thing for the sub seems a little expensive. I don't know if you were being facetious with what the snake oil talk, but something like this is useful, but I don't know if for a subwoofer, since those already come with protection for the floor. I have right now a couple of Definitive Tech StudioMonitor 350 speakers on my wooden table, and they got 8" side-firing passive subs. Those aren't very loud, but the vibrations and reflections from the speakers on the wooden table were horrible. I had to put 2 old folded towels underneath them, and it's now much better.

No, not facecious at all. Someone I trust emphatically recommends them for subwoofers and says it's DEFINITELY worth the money and the difference is very noticeable. I have not gotten one yet, but, I may very well throw one in when I get the Onkyo. I get extreme vibration based on the design of my house. I'd LOVE to stabilize my sub. Like I said, I trust the guy who recommended them completely. He's never steered me and MANY others wrong before. He swears by this particular device.

No, not facecious at all. Someone I trust emphatically recommends them for subwoofers and says it's DEFINITELY worth the money and the difference is very noticeable. I have not gotten one yet, but, I may very well throw one in when I get the Onkyo. I get extreme vibration based on the design of my house. I'd LOVE to stabilize my sub. Like I said, I trust the guy who recommended them completely. He's never steered me and MANY others wrong before. He swears by this particular device.

I guess what threw me was the "I'm told it gives you a much richer sound experience" part. I live in the base floor, and my floor is carpeted, so I don't have an issue with this.

I guess what threw me was the "I'm told it gives you a much richer sound experience" part. I live in the base floor, and my floor is carpeted, so I don't have an issue with this.

Actually, if you're vibrating the crap out of your surroundings, the bass is going to get distorted. I have wood floors and a full basement below, so the vibrations I get are rather nasty. Carpeting would help, but, it won't completely isolate the sub from the floor. The gramma does. You want the air vibrating, not the floor and walls. So, yes, it will give you a richer sound experience.

Back