• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request MP4 to MKV conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARTO777

Out of curiosity - do You have any plans adding automatic conversion output files from MP4 to MKV (by e.g. FFmpeg)?

Not right now, maybe in the future. You can easily do that with MKVToolnix

Yeah, but is it possible for 130 episodes at once? 🙂
If you have a graphics card that is not too old (versions for NVIDIA, AMD and Intel) you can use that script. It will process all mp4s to mkv.

If you have a graphics card that is not too old (versions for NVIDIA, AMD and Intel) you can use that script. It will process all mp4s to mkv.

But wouldn't that re-encode, so likely degrade the quality? (might not be visible to the naked eye so it could be acceptable, but its still recompressing a compressed file).

Where as using MKVToolnix as @RedFox 1 suggested, would just remux without re-encoding anything.

A batch file (or .cmd) with the following lines in it could be created and would just remux all MP4s in the folder where its run to MKV, without re-encoding anything. Note: This would remux all MP4's in the folder to MKV and the original MP4 would not be deleted, the MVK's would be along side the original MP4.
Code:
FOR /R %%A IN (*.mp4) DO "C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" -o "%%~dpnA.mkv" "%%~dpnxA"
pause
You can tweak that to specify the MKV's be output to a separate folder if needed. You can tweak it so it will delete the MP4 if desired.

Testing on my system, using an older WD Black 4TB spinner, a 1hr47 min MP4 downloaded with Anystream from Max, took 1 min 6 seconds to remux to MKV. Internal name and comments tags are kept. I don't have any downloads handy with multiple audio or subtitle tracks to test if it retains track order.

For the record, I like MKV because the Forced Flag for subtitles is respected upon playback by most players, where as its not respected at all in MP4 files.

If you're on Windows. Install mkvtoolnix and copy these lines in a textfile that you will save as "scriptname.cmd".

Then change the mkvmerge.exe path by your mkvmerge path and launch, all the mp4 files in the folder will be converted in mkv, you don't need special graphic cards or others it's just changing a container, you don't need to reencode. The only downside is that it doesn't work with "!" in the filename (if someone knowns how to fix this...)

Setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

Set "Pattern=.mp4"
Set "Replace=.mkv"

For %%a in (*.mp4) Do (
Set "File=%%~a"
if not exist "!File:%Pattern%=%Replace%!" (D:\mkvtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe "%%a" -o "!File:%Pattern%=%Replace%!")
)

EDIT : too slow, KidJoe was faster :LOL:

Yeah, but is it possible for 130 episodes at once? 🙂

Select all episodes and drag them into mkvtoolnix, depending on your settings you will be able to select the option to process each file individualy

then select multiplexer at the top of the mkvtoolnix window -> actions for all tabs -> start multiplexing.

all 130 episodes will be copied to mkv containers one after another.

If you're on Windows. Install mkvtoolnix and copy these lines in a textfile that you will save as "scriptname.cmd".

Then change the mkvmerge.exe path by your mkvmerge path and launch, all the mp4 files in the folder will be converted in mkv, you don't need special graphic cards or others it's just changing a container, you don't need to reencode. The only downside is that it doesn't work with "!" in the filename (if someone knowns how to fix this...)

EDIT : too slow, KidJoe was faster :LOL:
But I like yours better. If I'm reading it right, it first checks if the MKV exists, before starting to remux. Mine doesn't care, it just remuxes, and would replace any existing mkv.

just use VideoContainerSwitcher. it just switches containers. dunno about embedded subtitles and other exotics, but it should work. easy peasey, very fast, no reencoding. beware, if you drop 130 files into it, it will open 130 windows. :) its a primitive program, youre better of just dropping them off into mkvtoolnix and then 'actions for all tabs->multiplex'.

@tectpro is the expert. He should answer.

Re-Container

The tool BOX4 is still useful for re-container MP4 to MKV files.
https://www.videohelp.com/software/BOX4
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/390063-Box4-v3-%28F-I-N-A-L%29
The program should be easy to use after setting up your preferences.
It is no longer in development.

Understanding Video Quality, Compression, and Enhancement: A Practical Overview

1. Source Quality and Compression Settings:
    • The adage "garbage in, garbage out" holds in video compression. A low-quality source (low bitrate, poor resolution) inherently limits the potential quality of the recompressed video. It's like trying to polish an object; you can improve it, but it won't be as good as something less tarnished.
    • Compression settings also play a crucial role. Over-compression leads to losing details and artefacts, akin to squeezing too much of something. On the other hand, gentle compression can maintain more of the original quality.
  2. Streaming Providers and Compression:
    • Many streaming services, like Netflix, prioritize space-saving over ultimate quality. They compress videos to make them easier to stream (reducing buffering and load times) but at the cost of some quality loss. It's a balancing act between convenience and visual fidelity.
  3. Enhancing Videos with AviSynth:
    • Tools like AviSynth can work wonders on video content, including fixing poorly deinterlaced videos. They're like a skilled restorer who can significantly improve the appearance of a worn painting, enhancing colours and details that were previously obscured. However, the extent of improvement is still limited by the video's original quality.
  4. UniConverter: Instant Meal vs. Home Cooking Analogy:
    • Using a tool like UniConverter can be compared to an instant meal. It's convenient, fast, and does the job, but you're limited to what's in the package. You can't tweak the flavours beyond a certain point.
    • In contrast, manually adjusting settings during video conversion is like home cooking. It takes more time and knowledge, but you have complete control over the outcome. You can adjust every aspect to your liking, potentially achieving a much more satisfying result.
In Summary:
The quality of the source video and the settings used during compression significantly impact the outcome. While tools like AviSynth can enhance and repair to a certain extent, they can't wholly transform poor source material into high-quality video. Similarly, choosing between using a simple conversion tool and manually adjusting settings depends on your needs for convenience versus customization.

Not right now, maybe in the future. You can easily do that with MKVToolnix

Yes. yo can easily convert or - more correctly - change the "container" to mkv.... simply with mkvtoolnix. Like you have a movie or tv show with dual audio, one in english and one in your native language, and want to make your language the default audio track for VLC.... Easy.

Is there a secret tool? :ROFLMAO:
Like a previous poster mentioned. Yes there is a secret tool look for BOX4 Movie re-packager. I use this app on a commercial level. Only problem I've found is with Atmos audio on some conversions. I'm not a genius but, I've heard some people have updated the ffmpeg software it uses to fix it and some other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back