• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Movie Only BD Guide

SPDIF is outdated and is limited to DTS' max 1.5mbps throughput. Analog and HDMI are the only ways to benefit from HD audio currently.

I wonder if this method to extract only the main movie would work with these steps:

- Boot the PS3 to Linux, do a full (binary) dump of the BD, over the network, to a ISO file on a Windows machine (I'm aware of the PS3 SAK, but I am very comfortable with Linux)
- mount the ISO as a drive using daemon tools
- using AnyDVD HD, rip the ISO to a folder
- apply the method described in this thread to extract only the main movie
It should work, right?

The following is a separate issue, not a question, it's just me thinking out loud:
So let's say I have the main movie already extracted. I wonder if I could put it through an application that can read it and transcode it to a BD or AVCHD-compatible format, but a lower bitrate, so that it would fit on a DVD-9. Sure, the quality will be lower, but I can also transcode the audio track to AC3 (which is good enough quality for me) so that will make more room for the video track.
Keeping only one audio track (and even that converted to AC3), there will be enough space left for video that I don't think it will ever need to be compressed more than 50%.
It can't possibly be worse than cable HD. ;) (OK, that was a very low standard to compare with)
So this would be the poor man's method to put an HD movie on a DVD-9. Just the main movie (which is very often what I prefer anyway), just one audio track converted to AC3.
I'm not sure what will happen with the subtitles. Transcoding with, let's say, Sony Vegas, will probably kill the subtitles track. OTOH, I would like to keep at least one track with subtitles.
Comments?

Yes, that will work fine to extract the main movie.

Next, extract the video with TSMuxer or eac3to. Use RipBot to compress the video. Open the video and the movie with TSMuxer. Uncheck the video stream from the original, and add the video you compressed. Deselect anything else you don't want, and keep the subtitles. Write it out to a new blu-ray folder structure and make an ISO out of it. Then you can burn it.

Next, extract the video with TSMuxer or eac3to. Use RipBot to compress the video. Open the video and the movie with TSMuxer. Uncheck the video stream from the original, and add the video you compressed. Deselect anything else you don't want, and keep the subtitles. Write it out to a new blu-ray folder structure and make an ISO out of it. Then you can burn it.

Sounds like that will take care of the subtitles issue. Good. But my question is - how good is RipBot? Two issues come to mind when talking about compression:
  • correctness of the result (I've seen countless encoders that generate video that's not compliant to the format standards and is playable only because some players are not strict)
  • quality: you know, even at the same bitrate, not all encoders are made equal. I may tolerate a lower bitrate, but perhaps that's actually a bigger reason to use as good an encoder as possible, since there's less space for encoder's laziness in the bit stream.
I'm not making any assumptions about RipBot, I just never used it (never heard of it actually) and I'd like to hear some opinions.

You will have to try RipBot for yourself. Understand that it ONLY encodes to AVC. So you will lose quality. Currently that's our best option, however.

Shrinking Blu-ray movies. There are other ways to do it out there, sure, but, RipBot makes it fairly easy. Some day I'm sure we'll have even better tools and whatnot, but, for now, RipBot is what I use if I want to shrink a movie down.

Shrinking Blu-ray movies. There are other ways to do it out there, sure, but, RipBot makes it fairly easy. Some day I'm sure we'll have even better tools and whatnot, but, for now, RipBot is what I use if I want to shrink a movie down.

On the rare occasions I have to shrink a BD down to DVD size, I use ConvertXtoDVD. However, that's an extra cost option. My needs are different than yours probably. My objective is to stream to my PS3 with as much original quality as is reasonable. I use swordfish as my test video because it's a small file (~16Gb), is encoded VC-1, and has a native ac3 english track. The results of my experiment with 1 video and 1 audio track goes like this.

SWORDFISH vc1 17,762,524 Kb (original)
SWORDFISH avc 19,802,814 Kb (Nero8 reencode)
SWORDFISH mpeg2 22,733,588 Kb (Nero8 reencode)
SWORDFISH avc 6,122,244 Kb (RipBot264 reencode)

The processing options (switches) are what the RipBot author recommended for the best quaility. There's no doubt that RipBot made the file much much smaller, but it sacrificed substantial quality along the way.

My observation is that RipBot output (in this case) is substantially the same as DVD quality. And took 10 hours to run on my system Intel C2D @3.6Ghz, 4 Gb Mem, WinXP x64.

The quality I've gotten out of it with my limited testing so far has been very good. Certainly better than DVD quality(which is obviously exactly what you'll get with ConvertXToDVD...that is NOT going to keep as much of the original quality as is reasonable....it's going to turn it into a DVD). Nero has completely crashed on me when trying to do encodes.

Uncheck the video stream from the original, and add the video you compressed. Deselect anything else you don't want, and keep the subtitles. Write it out to a new blu-ray folder structure and make an ISO out of it.

Which application do you recommend to author the new BD structure?

I tend to use TSMuxer for that. Have it output to a blu-ray folder structure and then use ImgBurn to make an ISO from that.

Nero has completely crashed on me when trying to do encodes.

Nero8 doesn't like to do this recode. Ya have to fool it. Use Nero Vision to "make a bluray disc". Don't let it scan the video (abort the scanning). set video options to the desired output. Video quality to highest. Audio output to DD5.1 (@640Kbs), the best option. No menu. Write to hard disk folder. It'll make a BD structure on your HD. Use the m2ts directly or use the BD structure.

Hmm, might have to try that at some point. Interesting idea anyway.

this is great to get it to movie only but how can i get it to Blu-Ray to DVD9 lets say 3 or 4 dvd9's.....

You'll need to split it using tsplitter or whatever it's called. There's a thread on cdfreaks about the whole process.

You'll need to split it using tsplitter or whatever it's called. There's a thread on cdfreaks about the whole process.

iam using anydvd hd rip with desired audi and subtitle
then iam using tssplitter and choose dvd-9
here's the catch( upto two files no problem withts splitter)
more than that giving me problem on some movies like simpson so far

cars- 4 dvd9
foolsgold -3
good luck chuck 3
terminator -2
happy feet 2

That's not an issue I'm going to be able to help with unfortunately. I have no interest in splitting so I have no knowledge on how to fix it.

Batman Begins

I got Batman Begins today and followed the steps at to which .mpls file I need and it said this one...

errorqb9.jpg

I tried loading it in TSmuxer to create blu ray disk image and I got this...

firsterrorok7.jpg

Is this because Batman Begins has a new protection on it?

Just open the 00000.m2ts file directly. It's not a seamless branching title.

Back