Meltdown & Spectre potpourri

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DrinkLyeAndDie, Jan 4, 2018.

1. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I cant even get that tiny file to run on my machine

2. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

Which?

3. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

KB4078407

4. DrinkLyeAndDie

Odd. It should cover all of Windows 10,Windows 10 LTSB,Windows Server 2016 both 32-bit & 64-bit versions. I haven't installed it.

Since updating my BIOS and receiving the newer microcode with Spectre mitigations I removed KB4090007 (OS level microcode update). I don't think KB4078407 applies to me and since it's optional I see no use for it.

5. BrianG61UK

BrianG61UK Well-Known Member

What error message?

6. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

No error message it just won’t run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. BrianG61UK

BrianG61UK Well-Known Member

How do you know it hasn't run? All it does is remove the registry entry that disables spectre mitigation if it was present.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

8. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

Maybe it did run then, Thank you

9. DrinkLyeAndDie

ASUS is pushing out more BIOS updates to the Z170 motherboards:

• Maximus VIII Extreme, Maximus VIII Gene, Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, Maximus VIII Impact: 3801
    • Maximus VIII Hero, Maximus VIII Ranger: 3802

Still no Maximus VIII Formula.

RedFox 1 likes this.
  10. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Maximus VIII Formula is up: build 3801

11. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

2018-04-28_15-08-01  CPU Z.jpg
    Thanks Ch3vr0n

12. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

New update - 2018-05-01_13-24-21  Winver.jpg

13. Ch3vr0n

Already running it since this morning after doing a full format yesterday (and moving from my 850 evo to my new 960 PRO, naturally a few weeks after i pick it up, the 970 comes out :mad:) to fix a long standing issue with the windows indexing service i had. Installed 1701, then later on the day after checking updates a few times 1803 got pushed. Oh yeah and rocking the new bios too :)

14. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I woke up this morning and it was on my computer because I never turn my computer off so just updates by itself

15. Ch3vr0n

guess you were part of the "phased rollout" then ;). BTW you need to fix that registration info. ROG MAXIMUS VIII can mean just about any board under that header ;). Mine's registered to "Project Phoenix" :)

16. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I have no idea what the phased rollout is, but I just went down to my den and updated my spare rig also, it updated in the regular updates like my other rig.

17. Ch3vr0n

It means just like with any other major update the build gets pushed to PC's in PHASES :p EG: Phase 1, 10k random computers. No problems? Phase 2: 1 million new random PC's. Still no problems? Phase 3: Global rollout.

18. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

Thanks Ch3vr0n. I never heard of that.

19. DrinkLyeAndDie

1803 showed up on WU this morning. I let it update. My system updated and then ended up with a BSOD: 0xc1900101. System automatically rolled back to 1709 and I deferred feature updates for 365 days until I get around to being patient enough to troubleshoot.

20. Ch3vr0n

Code:
    https://pureinfotech.com/avoid-problems-installing-windows-10-april-2018-update-1803/
    Scroll down to "Driver error". That error you're getting seems to be specific to driver. Now you'll need to figure out which one. Maybe there's an upgrade attempt log somewhere that will tell you what the problematic one is.

A stretch but maybe this will be of some assistance

Code:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e88cd176-a0ff-44fd-90fe-bee8ef432ccd/cannot-install-latest-update-0xc1900101-0x30017-the-installation-failed-in-the-firstboot-phase?forum=win10itprosetup/code]