• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Meltdown & Spectre potpourri

Code:
https://pureinfotech.com/avoid-problems-installing-windows-10-april-2018-update-1803/
Scroll down to "Driver error". That error you're getting seems to be specific to driver. Now you'll need to figure out which one. Maybe there's an upgrade attempt log somewhere that will tell you what the problematic one is.

A stretch but maybe this will be of some assistance

Code:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e88cd176-a0ff-44fd-90fe-bee8ef432ccd/cannot-install-latest-update-0xc1900101-0x30017-the-installation-failed-in-the-firstboot-phase?forum=win10itprosetup/code]

Sadly, I'm not stranger to BSODs when it comes to big updates or Windows version upgrades. This is why I always prefer clean installs. I'll need to dig into driver issues, disabling fast boot, removing external devices, etc. I currently have enough on my plate and troubleshooting Windows update issues tends to irritate me amazingly quickly along with sidetracking me from taking care of other things because I won't let it go and get even more irritated.

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely give them a look. For now, however, I'm going to stick a pin in it. There's definitely no need to rush to update. :)

Neither am I :) think I had one on the first major update. I usually do a full format once a year or 2 years. This indexing service thing (that was going on for months now), the new build, moving SSD and having a week off just sped things up a a little (initially planned on a clean install during summer leave, a month off :p)

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Is it true that there is no equivalent to KB490007 for Windows 10 1803?
So some people will lose their Spectre V2 mitigation if they update?

Total bollocks. If they didn't have it installed, it will probably be merged into the 1803 build. Cause I'm damn sure I didn't have it after a full system format and windows reinstall. Bios is most recent and I'm deemed fully protected by both the inSpectre tool as well as the windows powershell analysis tool.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Total bollocks. If they didn't have it installed, it will probably be merged into the 1803 build. Cause I'm damn sure I didn't have it after a full system format and windows reinstall. Bios is most recent and I'm deemed fully protected by both the inSpectre tool as well as the windows powershell analysis tool.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk
Excellent.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

So, I tore my system apart and did a spring cleaning. Temporarily removed some software, disabled fast boot, and disconnected anything external minus mouse & keyboard. Gave 1803 another shot. Success. Re-enabled fast boot, reinstalled removed software, and re-connected devices. Success.

Unsurprising. :(

Meltdown & Spectre were just the tip of the iceberg. Now that researchers are actively and aggressively focusing on looking for vulnerabilities of this type we're going to see a lot more come out. Intel is getting more of the attention but, frankly, everyone is going to get burned: Intel, AMD, ARM, etc. No one is infallible.

It may be time to shred the old designs and begin anew so that instead of mitigating flaws as they are discovered they are instead designing a more secure processor with newer methods to accomplish the same tasks from the ground up. Unfortunately, I believe when a reset like this occurs then we are going to go through a "Dark Ages" where we don't see continual incremental performance increases. In fact, we would initially see performances losses.

When is everybody going to realize that if somebody wants to know whats on your computer or what you do on it, they have the power.

When is everybody going to realize that if somebody wants to know whats on your computer or what you do on it, they have the power.
And for most of us here, that aren't particularly the target of a major government or large criminal organisation, how is this relevant?

How would you know if you were the target of anything. Do you think they tell you first? My point was all these patches are useless if an entity wants to gain access to your computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How would you know if you were the target of anything. Do you think they tell you first? My point was all these patches are useless if an entity wants to gain access to your computer

So what?
That doesn't mean I'm going to give up patching.
What do you think it means?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I just told you what it means ,it means that all these patches are useless if someone wants to gain access to your computer ,that’s what it means

I just told you what it means ,it means that all these patches are useless if someone wants to gain access to your computer ,that’s what it means.
On behalf of everyone here I'm insulted that you think we don't know this.

You were the one asking the question and not everyone, You asked what it means so I told you, if that insulted you I apologize , but don’t ask a question that you don’t want to hear the answer to.

Last edited:
You were the one asking the question and not everyone, You asked what it means so I told you, if that insulted you I apologize , but don’t ask a question that you don’t want to hear the answer to.
Excuse me but YOU were the one that just suddenly announced:
Implying that "everybody" didn't know this.

Excuse me but YOU were the one that just suddenly announced:

Implying that "everybody" didn't know this.
Let it go, you know what I meant, everyone was hesitant about the patches, you were the one who asked " What does it mean" no one else. Now let it go. You are getting on my nerves.

Back