Meltdown & Spectre potpourri

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DrinkLyeAndDie, Jan 4, 2018.

1. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

My username came about from an inside joke with a friend involving rhyming, homonyms (ie lye vs lie), and a dash of the movie Heathers.

I do see the irony.

The same friend who was part of the creation of my username was the source of the quote. She used to say it often.

2. ocd

ocd Well-Known Member

And now there's a direct attack against SGX and its attestation keys. Sounds like patches have gone out, but maybe someone still has an unpatched system.

3. gereral1

gereral1 Well-Known Member

The patches are more for software companies protection than for you! I left my max hero BIOS at manufacturer level so my ssds don't take a 30 percent hit. I tweaked overclock as to limit a 1.2 voltage limit. I believe Intel is trying to find a way to close sgx part so hackers cannot spy on UHD, software keys. If you keep your PC with only purchase programs you will be fine. Don't open email attachments and stay off shady webpages....

4. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

You couldn't be more wrong. Almost all of the initial leaks can be abused to individuals too. The 30% hit isn't a guarantee, there's more things involved. Mine didn't drop a single %. But it's up to you if you want to stay vulnerable. Not all patches applied against it through windows fully protect you without bios updates

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

5. gereral1

My windows stays updated but the BIOS no.... Max hero is known for the latest BIOS to hit ssd performance. I use export to dnxhr at high speeds like 8gig per minute so I need all the thru-put speed on my raid 0 on my ssds. Most won't notice this except if you are a davanci resolve user

6. Ch3vr0n

I'd love so see some evidence on that (not that i dont believe you), but there's more than just the board that matters. The CPU matters, the drives matter, their firmware matters...

7. gereral1

Sure when I get home I'll screen shot it for you.

8. DrinkLyeAndDie

More Intel ME goodness¹

Tom's Hardware: Intel ME's Undocumented Manufacturing Mode Suggests CPU Hacking Risks

And, as it turns out in testing that Apple forgot to disable the Manufacturing Mode. There could be more.

The Register: Apple forgot to lock Intel Management Engine in laptops, so get patching

I can already predict many people saying that since this requires local access then it's no big deal. The typical "If it requires local access then it's not a danger and let's put all the blame on the end-user. Nothing to see here. Move along." BS. It is a big deal and again highlights flaws in the foundation of things, the fundamentals, the process, and mistakes being made. Humans f*** up. All the time.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  9. DrinkLyeAndDie

WCCF Tech: Windows 10 2019 Will Reduce Performance Hits Caused by Spectre Mitigations to “Noise-Level”

10. DrinkLyeAndDie

Tech Spot: Windows update will reduce Spectre and Meltdown patch performance hit to 1-2%

11. Ch3vr0n

Irrelevant for this topic. That's the next build (it's it's the name. 19H1, 1st half of 2019)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

12. DrinkLyeAndDie

Given this entire thread is about Spectre and Meltdown it's not irrelevant.

13. Ch3vr0n

My bad, sorry. thought you posted it in the the 1809 build thread :)

14. FurryGuy

FurryGuy Well-Known Member

Nice to see something will be done to fix a bug that should have been patched years ago.

Not so nice to see the fix will have to wait several months.

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe some of the problems with the 1809 build others are experiencing, I'm not, might have been from an attempt to roll out this fix earlier by stealth means.

15. DrinkLyeAndDie

ZDNet: Intel CPUs impacted by new PortSmash side-channel vulnerability

16. DrinkLyeAndDie

The Register: Another Meltdown, Spectre scare: Data-blabbing holes continue to haunt Intel, AMD, Arm

17. DrinkLyeAndDie

Fudzilla: Latest Spectre patches bring big performance hits to Linux 4.20 kernel