Forcing to blu-ray

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by lighting, Aug 13, 2007.

1. lighting

lighting Member

Hi all I just read the movie studios are gonna force people to change to blu-ray and the other new one comming out

I don't want to upgrade so my ? is wll there be a way to convert movies from bluray to normal dvd like we do with duel disks

from what I read the only way to get spiderman 3 is blueray and the bornue umilit is the other new format I want to see both these movies , but not at the cost of 2 new players

2. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Where did you read that? Could you post a link to that?

3. DetroitBaseball

DetroitBaseball Well-Known Member

That's what sucks. Some movies only are available on one of the formats.

4. lighting

lighting Member

bluray

Sorry no I tried to post a link but it was in yesterdays azcentral.com on the front page and I tried to pull up the article and couldn't find it .... will keep trying though because it was tlking about the previous war on vcr /beta max and then laser disc ......

5. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Is this the article?
    http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/0810dvdformat.html

The article isn't saying that these movies won't be released as regular commercial dvds.

6. DetroitBaseball

That's why I haven't bought a next gen format player yet. You're screwed either way because some movies are only made for one format of the two. The price also sucks.

7. lighting

lighting Member

yes that's the article thank you and here is the quote I'm talking about

"People who own an HD DVD player can forget about watching "Spider-Man 3" in high definition when it goes on sale during the holiday season. The movie from Sony Pictures will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format. Likewise, people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller "The Bourne Ultimatum," which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD. ""

8. Webslinger

Yeah, but that doesn't mean those films won't be released on regular dvds, which are not hi-def.

9. DetroitBaseball

True, but still. I would want it on HD-DVD if I had the player. This is why I hate the format war and I will just stick to normal DVDs like most people.

10. r_grayhat

r_grayhat Active Member

You misread. What it is saying is that certain movie studios (Sony Pictures and Universal Pictures) are pledged to one format or the other. Some studios will only release under Blu-Ray, and others will only release onto HD DVD. There won't be mixing or sharing of DVD titles between Blu-Ray or HD DVD.

So if you have an HD DVD player, you'll miss out on some good films that won't be released on HD DVD.

11. DetroitBaseball

Then again you can get them on standard DVD and use them in the HD-DVD player.

12. r_grayhat

r_grayhat Active Member

Yes but standard DVD will be dying soon, look at the future man.

I want a Blu-Ray player, but Grindhouse will only be released on HD DVD (with other Weinstein movies). But that doesn't make me want HD DVD.

13. DetroitBaseball

Once the standard DVD completely dies I guess I will be forced to pick if the war isn't over. It doesn't make sense to pick right now because they are both expensive, and you will miss out on movies on both. They can get the kinks fixed anyways in newer ones. Buying the first ones made is unwise. Third gen will be out soon.

14. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

It should. :D

15. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

I don't miss out on either. :) I have both and decided that was the best way to go. Now I don't have to worry about this stupid little war...I can choose the movies i want in HD and be done with it. Do I want HD DVD to win? Yes. Do I think that's going to happen? No, i don't. And I know James doesn't agree with me, but, with only 1 studio holding out on BluRay and 5 studios holding out on HD DVD, the odds are not in HD DVD's favor. Not when you have things like BluRay 300 outselling the HD DVD 2:1. That's a disc that held to my theory about releasing on both formats and letting the market decide. It's doing so, and it doesn't look all that great on the HD DVD side. Nonetheless, as I said, supporting both is your best bet if you can afford it. Otherwise, wait for the cheap combo players to come out by Xmas 2008...

16. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

@SamuriHL:
    Already watched "Hot Fuzz" on HD DVD? You'll probably like it. Great picture, great sound, very British, hilarious movie.

17. SamuriHL

I haven't yet. It'll be added to my Netflix queue soon. I just sent some movies back today so I should be able to get it by this weekend. I heard it was a great HD DVD. Can't wait to check it out.

18. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

Here is some more BS to the people.

Consumers Urged to Pick New DVD Format​

http://film.guardian.co.uk/apnews/story/0,,-6842669,00.html

19. Webslinger

And now this thread has come full circle. :D

20. SamuriHL

And why I say again that limiting yourself to one format over the other is ludicrous. For instance, I just ordered Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy on HD DVD to be delivered tomorrow. That's going to rock. But, come October I'll be getting all 3 Spiderman movies for my son on BluRay(I like them, too, but, he's the true dedicated Spiderman fan!). I would rather focus on content than what format it's on. Get both, ignore the war. (tm) ;)