• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Forcing to blu-ray

Uh, no. The phone companies have just as much wiring up on the poles as the cable companies...if not more. The phone companies are the ones that are (supposedly) investing in fiber. So, no, that doesn't make sense.

folks this topic has gotten way off track ............ back to the orginal ? I have over 700 dvd's regular / is this article telling me in a year all my dvd's are going to no good .

they tried to stop coping dvd's with dual layer disk;s worked around that now how do we copy bluray only movies that don't have normal dvd's back up to regular dvd's ;

Normal person , normal video and tv not into the expense of new gagets how do we survive ?

Yes, back on topic.

I'll quite happily stick with Blu-Ray if incidents like with "300" will stop happening. What's the point in the same company releasing High-Def discs with one having more extras (I don't care about them anyway) than other? :confused:

I have over 700 dvd's regular / is this article telling me in a year all my dvd's are going to no good .

I don't get this comment. I really really don't. Why would you think that your 700 DVD's would be "no good" just because a new technology is out? What, do you think they'll stop playing or something? You have 700 DVDs...they just won't be as good quality as BluRay and HD DVD. And at *SOME* point in the distant future(read YEARS from now) they'll stop selling movies on DVD. So? Does that make the ones you have any less useful to you? You can play them, so, what's the problem, exactly?

What's the point in the same company releasing High-Def discs with one having more extras (I don't care about them anyway) than other? :confused:

It is not that Warner does not like Blu-ray. It is just the current Blu-ray spec does not support those extras. :( Blu-ray 1.1 profile (due 1 November 2007) will.

folks this topic has gotten way off track ............ back to the orginal ? I have over 700 dvd's regular / is this article telling me in a year all my dvd's are going to no good .

they tried to stop coping dvd's with dual layer disk;s worked around that now how do we copy bluray only movies that don't have normal dvd's back up to regular dvd's ;

Normal person , normal video and tv not into the expense of new gagets how do we survive ?

There is no current method (economically) to back up bluray discs. Your regular DVD's will play fine in a bluray player so they are still good. When bluray or HD-DVD takes over the market yes you'll need a HD or LCD or Plasma T.V. ( you will anyways to watch regular T.V. ) by Feb. of 2009 as everything is going HD. You can survive to just regular DVD's until they are no longer sold with regular equipment and stay in the stone age as they will call it much later in life.

There is several companies on the works of backing up BluRay and HD-DVD movies there is no demand for it just yet and the cost doesn't justify doing this yet either as it is cheaper right now to just buy 2 of the same movie.

What you see in prices right now will fall soon not to the price of 200.00 USD or 300.00 USD but well below 1000.00 USD on T.V.'s, the players will fall in time as well. I believe there is some already below 1000.00 USD?

It is not that Warner does not like Blu-ray. It is just the current Blu-ray spec does not support those extras. :( Blu-ray 1.1 profile (due 1 November 2007) will.

Can you be a bit more specific about this please? I'm very curious...

Can you be a bit more specific about this please? I'm very curious...

The BD+ protection you've heard about uses the technology he's referring to. Basically it's a java virtual machine allowing them to run actual code on the player. When that's released they'll be able to do some INSANE interactive features. The first titles I know of to use this will be Cars and Ratatouille from Disney in November. At the moment, however, they can't do the types of interactive features that you find on 300. However, I'm nearly positive they plan a re-release of 300 on BluRay with the interactive features added sometime next year. It's only a rumor now but I'd be surprised if they didn't do so.

Thanks to both SuperGoof and SamuriHL for the info.

The Java bit caught my eye, I guess there will be more work for Java software developer like me :D

Thanks to both SuperGoof and SamuriHL for the info.

The Java bit caught my eye, I guess there will be more work for Java software developer like me :D

I don't believe it's straight java. It's some kind of virtual machine with like 80 or so commands built in. It's interesting because they can do on the fly video and audio manipulation which is good and bad. (Bad because BD+ plans to use this to decrypt sections of the video/audio streams on the fly). For interactive features I can see this being kind of neat. I'm SERIOUSLY hoping they plan a firmware update for my PS3 to bring it to 1.1 compliance. if not, there's going to be about 1.5 million unhappy people out there...

I don't believe it's straight java. It's some kind of virtual machine with like 80 or so commands built in. It's interesting because they can do on the fly video and audio manipulation which is good and bad. (Bad because BD+ plans to use this to decrypt sections of the video/audio streams on the fly). For interactive features I can see this being kind of neat. I'm SERIOUSLY hoping they plan a firmware update for my PS3 to bring it to 1.1 compliance. if not, there's going to be about 1.5 million unhappy people out there...

It's real fully grown Java in the BD-JAR part only - with all the extras including exception handling and whatnot.
Whereas BD+ is not Java at all.

It's real fully grown Java in the BD-JAR part only - with all the extras including exception handling and whatnot.

Interesting. I've only looked at the BD+ stuff a little. I had thought it was a virtual machine running inside the java VM, but, apparently not. The new stuff I knew was going to be java based but I wasn't aware that it was a full java implementation. That'll give them quite a bit they can do then. I really love java...i'm a java developer, as well. (Started out in C/C++ and in the last few years was moved into java). I guess I'll have to do some more research on this. Thanks!

I also thought that BD+ is some kind of Java application, probably because they use the term "Virtual Machine" in connection to BD+.

But it is a good sign that Peer knows what it is, whatever it is. :)

I also thought that BD+ is some kind of Java application, probably because they use the term "Virtual Machine" in connection to BD+.

But it is a good sign that Peer knows what it is, whatever it is. :)

Yea, that was my understanding, too. I thought when I was reading about the BD+ spec that it was a virtual machine implemented in a subset of the java runtime, but, apparently I must have been drinking that night. :D I'll leave that to the professionals at Slysoft. ;)

@SamuriHL:
Already watched "Hot Fuzz" on HD DVD? You'll probably like it. Great picture, great sound, very British, hilarious movie.

Just got done watching it now, James. What a ****** up movie!!!!! Absolutely freaking hilarious! You were right, I loved it. I might have to buy this one.

Back