• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Forcing to blu-ray

Don't HD-DVD movies run between $20-$30? How do you guys afford this?

I got both Bourne movies shipped second day air for 43 bucks, so, it's not horrible. I'm not out buying movies every week or anything. I buy the ones I know I'll watch more than once and Netflix the rest. Now that Netflix does BluRay and HD DVD it's a really great option.

Don't HD-DVD movies run between $20-$30? How do you guys afford this?

Some of us have, what adults like to call, jobs :D

Personally, I am a firm Blu-Ray man, though my eyes did light up when I read about a hybrid from LG :clap:

Once the standard DVD completely dies I guess I will be forced to pick if the war isn't over.
By the time DVD is completely dead and buried, there's only one HD optical format to pick - or zero, as the world has moved on to downloads and optical media is obsolete. DVD is going to take a loooooong time to die away.

By the time DVD is completely dead and buried, there's only one HD optical format to pick - or zero, as the world has moved on to downloads and optical media is obsolete. DVD is going to take a loooooong time to die away.
Movie downloads in HD format are a long time away because of the size of the files.

Movie downloads in HD format are a long time away because of the size of the files.

A US channel called ABC does offer online streaming of some of its episodes in full HD quality. So clearly that means some ISPs provide the connection that is fast enough to accomodate such data rate. If so, then downloading HD content should be around the corner...:)

A US channel called ABC does offer online streaming of some of its episodes in full HD quality. So clearly that means some ISPs provide the connection that is fast enough to accomodate such data rate. If so, then downloading HD content should be around the corner...:)

Fiber to the Home is a wonderful thing. :D And you people talking about HD streaming forget that MS has built a business model for it already. The xbox 360 allows HD video streaming movie rentals and tv show purchases. Some of those movies push 5+ gigs using VC1. That doesn't come CLOSE to BluRay, however. So yes, I believe we're a LONG ways away from what most of us consider *HD* downloading. Wake me when I can download a 50 gig movie image in under an hour.

Fiber to the Home is a wonderful thing. :D And you people talking about HD streaming forget that MS has built a business model for it already. The xbox 360 allows HD video streaming movie rentals and tv show purchases. Some of those movies push 5+ gigs using VC1. That doesn't come CLOSE to BluRay, however. So yes, I believe we're a LONG ways away from what most of us consider *HD* downloading. Wake me when I can download a 50 gig movie image in under an hour.
The technology is available but won't be available to normal people for years.

...Wake me when I can download a 50 gig movie image in under an hour.

No one said it would be lightning fast straight away. I can get to my local HDDVD and BluRay stockist and back in less than an hour though :D

No one said it would be lightning fast straight away. I can get to my local HDDVD and BluRay stockist and back in less than an hour though :D
People aren't gonna want to wait a day or so to download 1 movie. And then storing them...

The technology is available but won't be available to normal people for years.

Normal people. You're referring to people in the US, then? Cause in Japan and South Korea, they'd beg to differ. 14 bucks for a 100mps connection seems reasonable to me. And that'd definitely be an improvement over the 15mbps the US gets(if you're one of the lucky few who have fiber to the home).

But that's not exactly downloading, now, is it? :)

Normal people. You're referring to people in the US, then? Cause in Japan and South Korea, they'd beg to differ. 14 bucks for a 100mps connection seems reasonable to me. And that'd definitely be an improvement over the 15mbps the US gets(if you're one of the lucky few who have fiber to the home).
Correct. We have about 5MB/s and I saw it go to 6MB/s once. Our ISP only offers 10MB/s at the most. I wonder why fiber optics haven't been adopted in the US for widespread use.

Correct. We have about 5MB/s and I saw it go to 6MB/s once. Our ISP only offers 10MB/s at the most. I wonder why fiber optics haven't been adopted in the US for widespread use.

Most likely the cost to the company to convert to the hardware needed to do so is my guess.

You REALLY want an answer to that?

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070810_002683.html

You got it. Prepare to puke in your lunch pale. Believe me when I say I'm sickened by Verizon at this point. Yes, I have FiOS. However, thanks to those jerks I live in an area they're trying to sell. And if they're successful, it's possible I will loose said FiOS. Won't that make me a happy downloader.....

Most likely the cost to the company to convert to the hardware needed to do so is my guess.

BS. That's ridiculous crap. They were ****ing paid _200 BILLION dollars of tax payer money_ to do EXACTLY that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To my knowledge it all centers around the cable companies and local municipalities. Cable companies ran all the wiring in the community so they basically have a monopoly in the area, at least based upon what I have read that is the reason for fiber optic being avaialble in only a few areas, and it does make sense. Think about it, if your company had installed all the wiring for an area, would you allow an outside company to come in and use that wiring that you installed (although paid for by the municipality for the most part).

Back