• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Forcing to blu-ray

lighting

Hi all I just read the movie studios are gonna force people to change to blu-ray and the other new one comming out

I don't want to upgrade so my ? is wll there be a way to convert movies from bluray to normal dvd like we do with duel disks

from what I read the only way to get spiderman 3 is blueray and the bornue umilit is the other new format I want to see both these movies , but not at the cost of 2 new players

Where did you read that? Could you post a link to that?

bluray

Sorry no I tried to post a link but it was in yesterdays azcentral.com on the front page and I tried to pull up the article and couldn't find it .... will keep trying though because it was tlking about the previous war on vcr /beta max and then laser disc ......

Sorry no I tried to post a link but it was in yesterdays azcentral.com on the front page and I tried to pull up the article and couldn't find it .... will keep trying though because it was tlking about the previous war on vcr /beta max and then laser disc ......

Is this the article?
http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/0810dvdformat.html

The article isn't saying that these movies won't be released as regular commercial dvds.

That's why I haven't bought a next gen format player yet. You're screwed either way because some movies are only made for one format of the two. The price also sucks.

Is this the article?
http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/0810dvdformat.html

The article isn't saying that these movies won't be released as regular commercial dvds.
yes that's the article thank you and here is the quote I'm talking about

"People who own an HD DVD player can forget about watching "Spider-Man 3" in high definition when it goes on sale during the holiday season. The movie from Sony Pictures will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format. Likewise, people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller "The Bourne Ultimatum," which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD. ""

"People who own an HD DVD player can forget about watching "Spider-Man 3" in high definition when it goes on sale during the holiday season. The movie from Sony Pictures will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format. Likewise, people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller "The Bourne Ultimatum," which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD. ""

Yeah, but that doesn't mean those films won't be released on regular dvds, which are not hi-def.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean those films won't be released on regular dvds, which are not hi-def.
True, but still. I would want it on HD-DVD if I had the player. This is why I hate the format war and I will just stick to normal DVDs like most people.

You misread. What it is saying is that certain movie studios (Sony Pictures and Universal Pictures) are pledged to one format or the other. Some studios will only release under Blu-Ray, and others will only release onto HD DVD. There won't be mixing or sharing of DVD titles between Blu-Ray or HD DVD.

So if you have an HD DVD player, you'll miss out on some good films that won't be released on HD DVD.

You misread. What it is saying is that certain movie studios (Sony Pictures and Universal Pictures) are pledged to one format or the other. Some studios will only release under Blu-Ray, and others will only release onto HD DVD. There won't be mixing or sharing of DVD titles between Blu-Ray or HD DVD.

So if you have an HD DVD player, you'll miss out on some good films that won't be released on HD DVD.
Then again you can get them on standard DVD and use them in the HD-DVD player.

Then again you can get them on standard DVD and use them in the HD-DVD player.

Yes but standard DVD will be dying soon, look at the future man.

I want a Blu-Ray player, but Grindhouse will only be released on HD DVD (with other Weinstein movies). But that doesn't make me want HD DVD.

I want a Blu-Ray player, but Grindhouse will only be released on HD DVD (with other Weinstein movies). But that doesn't make me want HD DVD.
Once the standard DVD completely dies I guess I will be forced to pick if the war isn't over. It doesn't make sense to pick right now because they are both expensive, and you will miss out on movies on both. They can get the kinks fixed anyways in newer ones. Buying the first ones made is unwise. Third gen will be out soon.

It should. :D

Once the standard DVD completely dies I guess I will be forced to pick if the war isn't over. It doesn't make sense to pick right now because they are both expensive, and you will miss out on movies on both. They can get the kinks fixed anyways in newer ones. Buying the first ones made is unwise. Third gen will be out soon.

I don't miss out on either. :) I have both and decided that was the best way to go. Now I don't have to worry about this stupid little war...I can choose the movies i want in HD and be done with it. Do I want HD DVD to win? Yes. Do I think that's going to happen? No, i don't. And I know James doesn't agree with me, but, with only 1 studio holding out on BluRay and 5 studios holding out on HD DVD, the odds are not in HD DVD's favor. Not when you have things like BluRay 300 outselling the HD DVD 2:1. That's a disc that held to my theory about releasing on both formats and letting the market decide. It's doing so, and it doesn't look all that great on the HD DVD side. Nonetheless, as I said, supporting both is your best bet if you can afford it. Otherwise, wait for the cheap combo players to come out by Xmas 2008...

@SamuriHL:
Already watched "Hot Fuzz" on HD DVD? You'll probably like it. Great picture, great sound, very British, hilarious movie.

@SamuriHL:
Already watched "Hot Fuzz" on HD DVD? You'll probably like it. Great picture, great sound, very British, hilarious movie.

I haven't yet. It'll be added to my Netflix queue soon. I just sent some movies back today so I should be able to get it by this weekend. I heard it was a great HD DVD. Can't wait to check it out.

Here is some more BS to the people.

Consumers Urged to Pick New DVD Format​

People who own an HD DVD player can forget about watching ``Spider-Man 3'' in high definition when it goes on sale during the holiday season. The movie from Sony Pictures will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format. Likewise, people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller ``The Bourne Ultimatum,'' which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD...

http://film.guardian.co.uk/apnews/story/0,,-6842669,00.html

And why I say again that limiting yourself to one format over the other is ludicrous. For instance, I just ordered Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy on HD DVD to be delivered tomorrow. That's going to rock. But, come October I'll be getting all 3 Spiderman movies for my son on BluRay(I like them, too, but, he's the true dedicated Spiderman fan!). I would rather focus on content than what format it's on. Get both, ignore the war. (tm) ;)

Back