• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Expires March 1st: 20% off Perfectdisk 10 (the best defragger imo)

Check it out. I'd be interested on your thoughts.

I don't let the AutoPilo run on my system. I prefer manually defragmenting. I do use the boot-time defrag on my boot drive. I also use the aggressive free space consolidation.

It's running a defrag now. I don't tend to let "smart" or "auto" defrag processes run either. I defrag every night at 3am. Right before the backup job for acronis. So far it seems like a decent program.

Ok, you know what, I'm probably going to go purchase this bad boy shortly. One thing that impresses me right away is that it understands the concept of VMware. As a developer who uses it EVERY SINGLE DAY this is a very important quality. DK is not useful in that area at all. That alone makes it worth the 23 bucks for the home version with the discount. Is there anything in pro worth considering? I don't really need much more than basic defrag, so...

Ok, you know what, I'm probably going to go purchase this bad boy shortly. One thing that impresses me right away is that it understands the concept of VMware. As a developer who uses it EVERY SINGLE DAY this is a very important quality. DK is not useful in that area at all. That alone makes it worth the 23 bucks for the home version with the discount. Is there anything in pro worth considering? I don't really need much more than basic defrag, so...

I've always just used the Pro version. The Pro version used to be the called a Workstation version rather than Pro. I believe that part of it may have to do with the ability to defrag network drives which I don't think the Home version can. I can't really remember the reasons I went with Workstation but I have just stuck with it and it's been years.

I don't feel like spending the extra money unless I need to. Home seems to do everything I want. Defragging network drives is meaningless to me.

from http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/05/great-defrag-shootout-x-diskeeper-2007.html

"I have left the best feature till last: the uninstall. Unlike version 8 which left residue that made WDD unworkable until I hacked it, this one does restore WDD when you uninstall Diskeeper. I recommend uninstalling it. I did. Twice. Even so, Diskeeper 2007 it left a desktop shortcut behind and a reference in the registry to AUTONTFS. Have these people no shame?"

Wow, even in 2007 they were having issues? Heck, they've had update/uninstall issues for years. You'd think they'd fix that. I remember it being so bad that people reported uninstalling the retail Diskeeper version on XP systems where it left the built-in castrated Diskeeper broken and inoperable. Good job there. Real good work. :rolleyes:

Uh, ok, determined why you got Pro and will do the same. 64 bit support. Not available in Home. 10 bucks more. Whatever. Buying it now. Like I said, VMware acknowledgement is VERY crucial and impressive.

Wow, even in 2007 they were having issues? Heck, they've had update/uninstall issues for years. You'd think they'd fix that. I remember it being so bad that people reported uninstalling the retail Diskeeper version on XP systems where it left the built-in castrated Diskeeper broken and inoperable. Good job there. Real good work. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I actually hate Diskeeper with a passion.

The only real complaint that I have with Perfectdisk 10 is that estimated completion time keeps increasing during defrags (for me anyway).

Uh, ok, determined why you got Pro and will do the same. 64 bit support. Not available in Home. 10 bucks more. Whatever. Buying it now. Like I said, VMware acknowledgement is VERY crucial and impressive.

LOL. I didn't even know about this one. I just kept up going with the newer version and the PerfectDisk installer contains both the x86 and x64 version and installs the appropriate version. I assumed the Home version did this as well.

Well, for 10 bucks more that's no big deal. Make sure to get the software assurance!

Last edited:
I did. That was 8 bucks so basically with the discount I got the software assurance for free.

You have to uninstall Home trial before installing Pro. Meh. Pain in the ass but ok. Nice program. I'll grant you that.

Yeah, I actually hate Diskeeper with a passion.

Likewise. I've seen it hose systems. I had to reformat a system due to it totally screwing it up upon upgrading. Real lovely piece of work.

The only real complaint that I have with Perfectdisk 10 is that estimated completion time keeps increasing during defrags (for me anyway).

Yeah, I actually noticed something similar with the previous version. I had 2008 tell me a defrag should have been completed after that time had already passed. It made me laugh a bit. :p I also saw it keep bumping the time to completion back because as it meets more fragmentation it may decide it needs to perform more work. The initial scan may just pick up the defragmentation level but not just how badly fragmented a file is and how much time it will take to move all the other files out and then reassemble the defragmented file. I'm purely speculating here but I assume their guesstimation routine is obviously not airtight on this.

I've got it all scheduled to defrag at night just like I had DK set up so we'll see how it goes. It does seem nicer to the system than DK when running.

2 things to watch out for;

1. There's a bug that prevents PD10 from closing properly when that option is selected in the program options. (a .reg file fix is available on their forums and it seems to work)

2. For some strange reason while running a scheduled defrag, 4 PD10 icons showed up in the systray??

I sent an e-mail to tech support, hopefully these issues will quickly resolved.

Attachments

• perfectdisk 10.jpg
    perfectdisk 10.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 7
SamuriHL rules. I just like to bug the crap out of him. :bowdown:

You do a great job, too. LOL :D Guess I'm "one of the cool kids" now. ;) LOL! Although, to be fair, DLaD, it was Webbie that we had to bring on board the NOD32 train kicking and screaming. ;)

1. There's a bug that prevents PD10 from closing properly when that option is selected in the program options. (a .reg file fix is available on their forums and it seems to work)

2. For some strange reason while running a scheduled defrag, 4 PD10 icons showed up in the systray??

I sent an e-mail to tech support, hopefully these issues will quickly resolved.

Oh spectacular. I'm only seeing one icon in the tray. However, it says defrag 100% and has been beating on my cpu for the last 15 minutes. Is this the bug you're referring to? Oh wait, nevermind...it just now "finished" as I was typing this. Fascinating. Anyway, it seems to work pretty well and didn't kill my system while it was defragging. Gotta love that.

Interesting. I haven't encountered that issue. Since they addressed that already, I'm sure they will eventually incorporate that fix in an update.

For some strange reason while running a scheduled defrag, 4 PD10 icons showed up in the systray??

I've never seen that. But I only perform manual defrags (or I'll select "boot time" on occasion). I, in general,
don't like programs taking over my systems (especially since I use them for gaming).

In fact, I disabled autopilot in order to avoid ever seeing a Perfectdisc tray icon. I need another icon in my tray like I need a virus on my system . . .

Last edited:
Although, to be fair, DLaD, it was Webbie that we had to bring on board the NOD32 train kicking and screaming. ;)

The final straw was Kaspersky not handling an institution's wireless online security check. I'm sure Kaspersky would work if I mucked around with settings long enough, but I couldn't be bothered. Eset's product worked seamlessly and didn't trigger the number of false positives that I was getting with Kaspersky. So I caved under Drinklyeanddie and SamuriHL's peer pressure. ;)

Last edited:
You do a great job, too. LOL :D Guess I'm "one of the cool kids" now. ;) LOL! Although, to be fair, DLaD, it was Webbie that we had to bring on board the NOD32 train kicking and screaming. ;)

Valid point.

Oh spectacular. I'm only seeing one icon in the tray. However, it says defrag 100% and has been beating on my cpu for the last 15 minutes. Is this the bug you're referring to? Oh wait, nevermind...it just now "finished" as I was typing this. Fascinating. Anyway, it seems to work pretty well and didn't kill my system while it was defragging. Gotta love that.

I'm glad you had no issue. I guess I need to run a full defrag with v10. PerfectDisk has never managed to actually beat on my CPU even when I have it set to not throttle itself.

Raxco releases updates on a fairly regular basis so I don't expect the wait will be long for a update to fix this rather than a .reg fix.

Interesting. I haven't encountered that issue. Since they addressed that already, I'm sure they will eventually incorporate that fix in an update.

Yes.

I've never seen that. But I only perform manual defrags (or I'll select "boot time" on occasion). I, in general,
don't like programs taking over my systems (especially since I use them for gaming).

In fact, I disabled autopilot in order to avoid ever seeing a Perfectdisc tray icon. I need another icon in my tray like I need a virus on my system . . .

LOL. I completely agree and totally disable all the automatic garbage minus the boot-time defrag since I do notice a positive difference with that.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/20/2239255&from=rss

Umm. I'm just going to say I find that a little nuts.

Yes, it's unfortunate. The stories, allegations, and whispered rumours date back many years. In reality the owner of the company is a publicly admitted Scientologist so there is no reason to whisper about it. The problem is that a belief is being forced on employees and those who don't conform are discriminated against. I'm not specifically ripping on Scientology here but say instead of it being Scientology in this case we replaced it with Catholicism or Buddhism. In all cases the practice would be absolutely wrong and is discriminatory. Of course, it's possible the allegations in the current case are not 100% true but given what I have heard in the past concerning the company way back when it was still Executive Sofware I honestly do believe the allegations.

The final straw was Kaspersky not handling an institution's wireless online security check. I'm sure Kaspersky would work if I mucked around with settings long enough, but I couldn't be bothered. Eset's product worked seamlessly and didn't trigger the number of false positives that I was getting with Kaspersky. So I caved under Drinklyeanddie and SamuriHL's peer pressure. ;)

I just gave a little advice. Microsoft publicly stated they used Eset NOD32 in their own labs back in 2003-2004 when I started using the software. Since I had multiple systems I did some comparisons and had registrations for Kaspersky and NOD32. I loved Kaspersky until they dumbed down the program to compete with the likes of Norton and McAfee. At that point it began bothering me. Kaspersky also had issues with my Intel NIC in one system that required me to do an advanced install and to not enable a feature concerning network protection. If I enabled the feature I had zero internet connectivity. Anyway, after using Kaspersky for years I moved to Eset exclusively and once I moved to Vista x64 I had to find a new firewall since Sygate is a dead product and won't work under Vista. Eset Smart Security fit my needs and the price is good.

Back