• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Expires March 1st: 20% off Perfectdisk 10 (the best defragger imo)

The final straw was Kaspersky not handling an institution's wireless online security check. I'm sure Kaspersky would work if I mucked around with settings long enough, but I couldn't be bothered. Eset's product worked seamlessly and didn't trigger the number of false positives that I was getting with Kaspersky. So I caved under Drinklyeanddie and SamuriHL's peer pressure. ;)

And have you regretted that decision at all? :) I'm guessing no. ;)

And I doubt I'll regret going to perfectdisk, either. It seems like a very decent product.

Some years ago, I started out with Version 7, but some years ago, I switched to OO Defrag, because in some tests it boosted the system a little more than PerfectDisc.

PerfectDisc is great. No doubt.

Does someone has a direct comparison between these 2 products?

BurnerHEAD

Some years ago, I started out with Version 7, but some years ago, I switched to OO Defrag, because in some tests it boosted the system a little more than PerfectDisc.

PerfectDisc is great. No doubt.

Does someone has a direct comparison between these 2 products?

BurnerHEAD

O&O hosed my filesystem on my RAID 0 setup about a year ago. I liked O&O in my testing until that happened. I uninstalled and never looked back. It's a great product and I know many people who love it, including my girlfriend, but it did not like my system and I consider a hosed filesystem to be a negative selling point. PerfectDisk has run simply perfect.

Well, that's why I use OO Defrag.

"If you want a program you can install and ignore, this is probably the best."

Well, first you have to configure it correctly and on the first run I did a Complete/Name defrag but after that's it's all-set.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

OO Defrag never hosed up anything on my system. Well, I don't have a RAID 0 System. Maybe it simply doesn't support all RAID settings.

Well, that's why I use OO Defrag.

Well, first you have to configure it correctly and on the first run I did a Complete/Name defrag but after that's it's all-set.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

OO Defrag never hosed up anything on my system. Well, I don't have a RAID 0 System. Maybe it simply doesn't support all RAID settings.

I do believe the issue was the fact that I have a RAID setup. My girlfriend does not and has zero issues with O&O. I saw no written limitations about RAID setups when I did my reading before checking it out. No one else I know who raves about it has a RAID setup so it could be just me but there is nothing unique about my system.

As for the quote about a program you can install and forget, you can install PerfectDisk and change one quick setting and it will never run automatically or you can leave it and it will. It's a no-brainer program but if you want to get all cute and fancy with it then you can.

Diskeeper would laugh at my setup because unless I am willing to shell out enough for a server license it won't support drives over 1 TB in size. My RAID 0 setup is comprised of two 750 GB, a number of other 750 GB drives, and another 1.5 TB drive.

It's running a defrag now. I don't tend to let "smart" or "auto" defrag processes run either. I defrag every night at 3am. Right before the backup job for acronis. So far it seems like a decent program.
Dont Defrag the drive you have your Acronis Backup on, there is an option in PerfectDisc V10 to exclude the Acronis backup from defragmentation.;) Acronis Backups are .TIB files.

Last edited:
Dont Defrag the drive you have your Acronis Backup on, there is an option in PerfectDisc V10 to exclude the Acronis backup from defragmentation.;) Acronis Backups are .TIB files.

I don't allow it to defrag my external drives. I see no point anyway. :)

Well, Diskeeper is a total failure in my opinion. It has been approved by professional IT-staff that it's absolutely doing nothing, at a final result.

The Diskeeper guys are the same that coded the Windows Defrag in XP and Vista, so Diskeeper is already integrated in Windows, I just doesn't have those "extra" features, like a nice-looking interface. The results are about to be the same.

Hmm, I also recommend not to defrag the Acronis Secure Zone, I never tried that and I wouldn't anyone else recommend to do so.

BurnerHEAD

Did you just say DK and "nice interface" in the same sentence?! DOH! :) That's one area that I didn't like about DK. The interface was cluttered and basically sucked.

I don't use the acronis secure zone. I just have a backup drive and drop my nightly backup on there. Works well. I use an external 2.5" notebook drive in a usb case for my backups.

Well, I was saying that in the same sentence because they made a "nicer" interface instead of the standard Windows programs.
Well, I didn't actually mean "nice", but "nicer".

If you have Acrons True Image Home 2009, I can tell you that the Secure Zone is awesome. It's contains hidden and encrypted backups.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

I haven't upgraded acronis yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to. The version I have works well.

Well, I used Acronis True Image Echo Workstation before, but despite of the very good coporate support I had, I got annoyed with all the backup server and management stuff I had to do, which is really awesome, but a lot of work.

So I switched from that to True Image 2009 which has some nice cool new features, like the Try&Decide mode and the Privacy Tools, to shred files or folders, the DriveCleanser and the easier to navigate-through interface.

But, let's get back to the topic.

What's the best free-ware defrag program?

BurnerHEAD

Edit:
Entering the serial-number for True Image 2009 was the most funniest thing I did when I registered it.
Awesome jobs that the Acronis guys did.

Last edited:
jkDefrag wins out in my tests. It's what I install on machines that I am responsible for where the owner doesn't want to buy a defrag program. I set up the cmd line version in task scheduler to run every night using an a 3 optimization. I run an a 7 optimization manually before that task starts to run. It's an effective defragging strategy for average users.

Just an FYI for anyone who cares, my experience with PD 10 has been stellar. DK is never going back on this or any other machine I own. The difference in performance on my laptop is amazing. I hadn't realized how slow things had gotten on startup lately...probably figuring "oh, it's just windows" but after running PD on this machine my laptop is now flying again. I had DK running a defrag every night. Whoever said it doesn't seem to actually DO anything isn't wrong. DK is USELESS now that I've had a chance to compare the two on this machine. You might as well run the standard windows defrag as it MIGHT actually do something where DK doesn't appear to do much at all. Anyway, I just wanted to report back how happy I am with PD. Definitely a keeper. (ha ha :))

Just an FYI for anyone who cares, my experience with PD 10 has been stellar. DK is never going back on this or any other machine I own. The difference in performance on my laptop is amazing. I hadn't realized how slow things had gotten on startup lately...probably figuring "oh, it's just windows" but after running PD on this machine my laptop is now flying again. I had DK running a defrag every night. Whoever said it doesn't seem to actually DO anything isn't wrong. DK is USELESS now that I've had a chance to compare the two on this machine. You might as well run the standard windows defrag as it MIGHT actually do something where DK doesn't appear to do much at all. Anyway, I just wanted to report back how happy I am with PD. Definitely a keeper. (ha ha :))
I care SamuriHL. I agree it is stellar. Thats why I bought it.:D

hang on you're saying that windows still has fragmentation problems?

how quaint. linux solved that over ten years ago.

Back