• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneBD results with video card hardware acceleration||Post HERE

Has anyone done quality comparisions between CUDA and Software transcoding? In my experience using CUDA produces slightly inferior results.

I've just made a video quality comparison between CUDA and software encoding with The Force Awakens using exact same settings for each. I selected to compress down to 2GB file size. I compared screenshots from each version by going to the same time in the film and taking a screenshot using PDVD16. There was a slight discrepancy in time between the two versions, to get the approximate same scene in the CUDA version I had to advance an extra second, even then the scene was not exactly the same but near enough for a comparison. PDVD16's info showed the CUDA version's quality at this point to be 1.26 Mbps compared to the software version's 1.3 Mbps. So a small difference in technical detail and visually, yes I found the software version to be slightly sharper. However, when watching the film rather than pixel hunting on a still shot I don't think this would really be noticeable. With less compression, I think the visual difference would be even less noticeable. But that's just my opinion. However, when considering that the CUDA version was 5.5 times quicker to produce, I think this is a good result.

HW encode/decode working fine with Quicksync, but having problems with AMD. The machine with AMD is Windows 10 Pro (version 1607), I7-2600 3.4GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD R9 290, Radeon Crimson 16.11.3 software, 3GB RAM

I've tried several BluRays as source (all reading from network attached shared drive, AnyDVD HD rips to whole BluRay structure). All fail with various transcode errors. The latest was Captain America - Civil War, attempting transfer to MPEG2 stream, with audio being downgraded to AC3 Surround 5.1. I've attached the log files. Similar fails occurred with MKV as destination and MP4 as destination.

Saw that the new CloneBD beta was out here on the forums that does video hardware acceleration. So I right away downloaded the new CloneBD Beta and tried it out. Take note I'm using a Mechanical Drive at 7,200RPM SATA 3. and the most important thing is I'm using a GeForce GTX 980TI 6GB video card to transcode.

My results were transcoding a 45.4GB ripped with AnyDVD HD, off the store shelf bluray movie with NON video card hardware acceleration strictly my CPU doing the transcoding was one hour and 19 minutes to fully transcode it to fit on a 25GB bluray disc (results do not include bluray burn to disc time)

Now using my video card hardware acceleration on highest quality took me 31 minutes to transcode same movie. Very impressive. On fastest speed it took with the same movie 24 minutes to transcode. I had no errors or problems with the transcoding process, movie played on PowerDVD 14 Ultra fine. So I'm happy to say, this is a great feature Elby put in for CloneBD, and who knows it might even get faster down the road with future updates. I'm interested to hear everybody else's results, using video card hardware acceleration, please state your exact video card model. What speed/quality method you used to transcode in CloneBD options, what type of format where you encoding and how much data was it before transcoding. And of course your transcoding finish time.

>>> It would be most helpful if users also mentioned what type of GPU they used for this?

I posted some of my results in the sticky itself as a reference point for some different output types.

>>>I am new to this forum, can you explain where I can view the "sticky" you are referring to?

Testing CBD 1.0.9.Xbeta. Here's my results so far for the same content run through over and over again with various configurations. :D

In-Common Configuration for all tests:

>>> I am new to this forum, can you kindly explain how some of the users are posting their hardware configuration along with this comments? That is very useful for new users...

BTW - Thanks for taking the time to post such detailed results. I know how time consuming that is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not double post. Use the edit link below your post instead. Posts merged.

How are they doing it? I don't know. You'd have to ask them. If you're an experience PC user/builder you know the exact pieces of hardware in your system. If you're not experienced, take a look here https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/f-a-q-clonebd-1-0-9-x-hw-acc-doesnt-work-what-to-do.71266/

Step 5 under CUDA is all you need then.

Stickies are permanent topics on top of a forum section. The specific section in that quote is this one https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/clonebd-1-0-9-3-beta-with-hardware-acceleration-released.71241/

Core i7-4770, GeForce 750, Windows 7 64bit

Jason Bourne 2016, transcoding main movie 31Gb to 14.3Gb
Clone BD 1.0.8.8 = 69 minutes
Clone BD 1.0.9.2 = 14 minutes (Decoding & Encoding using CUDA, Highest Quality)
There seems to be some difference in the resulting bitrate between using HW and Software. Not too sure what to make of it (see screenshots).

Today I compared a few scenes between the resulting backups and CUDA decoding and encoding alghough much quicker has produced an inferior quality backup. The difference is not great but present if you look for it

>> How do the graphs help you decide which is better quality?

Does "Double Post" mean posting the original post along with the reply? If so I apologize...

they don't. You make that determination yourself in CloneBD's settings. If you prefer a very fast encode vs the best quality. Faster encode = less quality

No "double posting" means posting again after you just made one. Which you just did again. Please use the "edit" link below your post. Posts merged.

Please do not double post. Use the edit link below your post instead. Posts merged.

How are they doing it? ..?

I was referring to how do they post their hardware configurations formatted so nicely below the replies. I know my hardware very well but I do not know how they managed to post the info formatted as such. It usually takes some effort to get it formatted like that and I was hoping maybe there was some app that did that for them.. Sorry to be off topic. I guess I should post such questions in the relevent area...

OK I see now what I did wrong. Sorry about that....

There is an app. Which is why i said to read item 5 in that topic i linked to. Or as some users do (incl me), type everything out by hand.

precisely. NVME's have a read/write speed in the couple hundred MB :) my 1080 would probably be able to keep up or be the bottleneck then :)
NVMe SSDS have a read-write in the thousands of mbs. Example 950 Pro.NVMe Samsung SSD 950_512GB_1GB-20161202-1105.png

clonebd does not yet offer support H265 encoder for cpu Kaby lake?
my desktop system offers the H265 encoder via software upgrades.

I just updated Clone BD to Version: 1.1.1.6 - Serial: (snip serial removed - Ch3vr0n). All my AMD drivers are current and up to date. See the attached PNG files for the AMD information. I have lost the ability to use "hardware acceleration" for both decoding and encoding. I was able to use this feature previously. How do I get it back? I'm currently trying to clone Furious 7. It's been running for 40 minutes and is only at 7% completion. Thank you for your help.

Radeon Settings.1.PNG Radeon Settings.2.PNG CloneBD Settings.PNG Clone BD.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Post edited, do not post sensitive info such as your serial number on the forum. That said @MrFinch the problem is with the latest 17.7.2 AMD drivers. They've made significant changes to where hardware support is broken. According to Fabian from elby he can't even get it to install without crashing multiple video players where the video doesn't move. A fix should be coming soon. In the mean time revert to the previous release 17.7.1 and hardware support will be restored.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Thanks for the speedy reply Ch3vr0n. I will remember your advice about posting information. I'll just wait for the fix to come out. One last thing, when cloning a movie is it best to use "lossless sound" or one of the DTS or Dolby settings?

Thanks for the speedy reply Ch3vr0n. I will remember your advice about posting information. I'll just wait for the fix to come out. One last thing, when cloning a movie is it best to use "lossless sound" or one of the DTS or Dolby settings?
That depends on a number of things:
  • is lossless audio quality an issue for you (many don't care at all)
  • compressing lossless audio can save a few GB per movie
  • can your player handle the format (for example VLC won't play Dolby TrueHD Atmos)
So, you're really the only one who can answer this.

That depends on a number of things:
  • is lossless audio quality an issue for you (many don't care at all)
  • compressing lossless audio can save a few GB per movie
  • can your player handle the format (for example VLC won't play Dolby TrueHD Atmos)
So, you're really the only one who can answer this.
  1. PowerDVD is the player I use.
  2. I do notice an audio difference. Lossless audio is much richer, fuller.
  3. Right now I have 10% (about 20) of my collection ripped with lossless audio.
  4. It helps now that Windows 10 has a Dolby app.
  5. Right now I'm not doing any ripping until a beta or new version of Clone BD is out that allows hardware acceleration.

Dolby app.1.PNG Dolby app.2.PNG Dolby app.3.PNG

It already does, the problem is your AMD drivers. Just revert back to 17.7.1 and you'll have hardware acceleration back until AMD fixes the drivers and/or CloneBD is updated

It already does, the problem is your AMD drivers. Just revert back to 17.7.1 and you'll have hardware acceleration back until AMD fixes the drivers and/or CloneBD is updated
I did roll back the AMD driver as you recommended and recovered the missing hardware acceleration feature. AMD wanted an explanation as to why I was doing a roll back. I gave a general answer that the functionality of some of my apps was effected. Everything is back to normal. Thanks.

I just recently bought CloneBD because I got a big discount for a lifetime license and I must say I love this software. I was able to transcode Movie Only from an ISO but it took almost 40 minutes. I had a NVIDIA GT 220 which did not support CUDA. I upgraded my video card to a NVIDIA GTX 1050 and it supports CUDA very well. The same movie took 8 minutes and 41 seconds. WOW! I am using the card on 24 GB RAM with a i7 7700 Kaby Lake CPU.

Back