• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cinavia, Feb, 1, 2012 and forwards

FYI-I am attempting to watch a regular dvd of "Bad Teacher" and the Cinavia kicked in the audio. I was watching it on my 3 year old PS3. So you are right, this has already been implemented and it is not just on new players as discussed previously on this thread.

Heh.......
I'm just glad I boycotted Blu-Ray from the beginning. :)
I don't think Cinavia will ever get a real hold on SD-DVD's.

-W

Boycotting cuts off your nose to spite your face. I wanted HD-DVD to win but regardless of the bad things about Blu-Ray it is a step forward in video and audio quality. If we have HDTVs then we better have content that makes them worth having. I understand people not liking the restrictions and heavy-handed tactics by the BDA and such but the simple fact is that a movie on Blu-Ray blows away a movie released on DVD and streaming HD content from VUDU, Amazon VOD, Netflix, and the like simply do not compare quality-wise with a well mastered Blu-Ray release. We also haven't even begun to see the war in the United States that is going to occur over streaming. The ISPs will demand compensation and drive up prices to the consumers and the streaming providers. Screw streaming. Yes, it can be useful but give me the content on physical media that I can play back on my device at full quality without bandwidth limitations or insane fees from my ISP and do so at any time I please without having to worry about the time of day, etc. I want to pay for something and physically own it.

Btw, with respect to Cinavia on SD DVDs, I can see the industry pushing for those licensing CSS to include Cinavia detection on DVDs. Add it to the spec for players. Over time pure DVD players is going to dying off anyway and all Blu-Ray players will have to support Cinavia. If Cinavia proves successful then studios may sign on for their DVD releases more readily. Also, until the majority of devices actually support/enforce Cinavia it really won't be cost effective for a studio to license it on their relelases.

Last edited:
FYI-I am attempting to watch a regular dvd of "Bad Teacher" and the Cinavia kicked in the audio. I was watching it on my 3 year old PS3. So you are right, this has already been implemented and it is not just on new players as discussed previously on this thread.

The ps3 is a unique case. It's really just an embedded software player that can be upgraded easily. It's quite different than a hardware player implementation. It remains to be seen if existing hardware players can and will be updated with cinavia. I believe the newer ones CAN be upgraded but will they? No one knows yet.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Btw, with respect to Cinavia on SD DVDs, I can see the industry pushing for those licensing CSS to include Cinavia detection on DVDs. Add it to the spec for players. Over time pure DVD players is going to dying off anyway and all Blu-Ray players will have to support Cinavia. If Cinavia proves successful then studios may sign on for their DVD releases more readily. Also, until the majority of devices actually support/enforce Cinavia it really won't be cost effective for a studio to license it on their relelases.

I don't disagree here.
I'm just wondering how long that will take to happen... and if Cinavia won't be "broken" by then.

I'm hoping that the "next big thing" after Blu-ray happens before then. :doh:

I do understand it will be a tough nut to crack - and keep up with.

-W

Would "leave protection on" and burning an image to a BD-R DL be OK?

I mean the watermark would be there, and the protection would be there. Would this be a viable backup solution as a worst case scenario?

Would "leave protection on" and burning an image to a BD-R DL be OK?

I mean the watermark would be there, and the protection would be there.

You can't copy a disc with protection.

How would the disc be "protected," if it could just be copied with any ISO copier? That's why it's called "protection." ;)

(BD-ROM's contain data used in the decryption process that a copy can't have; home burners and BD-R/BD-R DL's can't have this data.)

I have not seen any warning or indication that this firmware version contains Cinavia on any brand of hardware Blu-ray players. I have contacted Sony many times on different models of their Blu-ray players and nobody from Sony will tell me which firmware version has added Cinavia.

Doesn't surprise me at all it is sony therefore very likely they will never tell you in first place. They were the first one to add cinavia to players and ps3 and never told about it.

they may have never said so when the update was forced, but it is in the firmware notes

If the information from the Oppo tech that was posted a few days ago is to be believed, they can force player MFG's to keep it quiet and not reveal that Cinavia has been added to a firmware. Now, we've no idea how true that is considering to my knowledge no player has ever had it added except the PS3. I do know of one player that had it removed. But if they aren't required to notify their customers, or worse, bound by their license agreement to not tell them, then it makes for a very tricky situation. But again, who knows what to believe.

EDIT: I guess one exception to that is the WD Live TV streamers that got it added but I don't remember how that situation went down and if the specified they added Cinavia. Plus that was quite a while ago and things could have changed since then.

If the information from the Oppo tech that was posted a few days ago is to be believed, they can force player MFG's to keep it quiet and not reveal that Cinavia has been added to a firmware.

Where was that posted... do you still have the link?

I don't have it offhand. Someone posted it on both AVS forum and Doom9. They supposedly spoke to an Oppo tech and got some interesting info from them. Go search the Cinavia thread on doom9 and you should find it. From a few days ago.

Here's the link -> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=155777&highlight=oppo&page=60

Post by "jetli". He only has nine posts and doesn't post any kind of e-mail or anything, it's just a "he said" post, so it may or may not have merit.

According to a tech at OPPO digital, there is no firm requirement or date that Cinavia has to be implemented in any given player.
But he did say, that if, Cinavia wished it to be a secret, they would have to keep it a secret.

2/1/12 is the big date. Be leary of any firmware updates after that. BTW, 2/1/12 is just 30 days past the holidays!
Any conspiracy theorists out there?

t

Well, this won't really help. Due to licensing agreements users can not downgrade firmware on the BDP-93/BDP-95 even though it was possible and still is for the BDP-83. Apparently it's part of the agreement with Netflix if not others, as well.

I may grab another BDP-93 at some point and for that player lag behind on firmware updates. As it stands, however, most Oppo firmware updates contain important updates for compatibility and ignoring an update may cause problems down the road with newer releases.

Another thing to remember with firmwares (and AACS in particular) is that the AACS keys in the firmware are only good for about 12-18 months. After that time, any new blu-ray disc (manufactured) will not play in the player and will tell you that you have to install the latest firmware. (any existing disc will still work, just not any new ones)

This is what finally 'killed' my PS3 with 3.01 firmware (the last Cinavia-free PS3 firmware). Toward the beginning of this year I think, it stopped playing all new manufactured discs since the AACS keys in the firmware were too old, and if I wanted to continue playing new discs I had to update the firmware... I've since found another work around, but it's also tied to a specific firmware... Once that firmware hits it's 18 month mark, I won't be able to use it for retail discs again... Hopefully a new PS3 solution will present itself by then! (I don't play games with my PS3, so I'm not afraid to hack it in any way possible to defeat this plague...)

It will never stop playing BD-Rs (since there's no AACS on them), but in the end the only solution might be to have two players, one you never update for BD-R playback, and another one for replicated discs... If you are a PS3 lover, this is about your only option unless the firmware gets hacked (and stays hacked...). You can't just camp-out on a single firmware forever if you do actually like buying real discs.

SamuriHL- You mentioned WB discs with Cinavia... Is that Blu-ray? I don't think I've seen a WB title with it yet, know of any off hand?

The Losers is a Warner home video distribution. I'm not sure offhand about others. Clearly Sony uses it.

The Losers is a Warner home video distribution. I'm not sure offhand about others. Clearly Sony uses it.

Just thinking about a particular future movie out loud, I sincerely hope The Dark Knight Rises won't have that Cinavia crap on it when the Blu ray/DVD comes out late next year.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one... That was my first experience with this thing too... :rolleyes:

Sony is definitely using full-force... I think it's on everything they've released in the last 2 or 3 weeks (maybe more).

Back