• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cinavia, Feb, 1, 2012 and forwards

Blu-ray drives and burners. Sorry for failing to specify.

Ah, ok. Then to answer your question, no, they are not and can't be affected by Cinavia. It's completely a player issue. In the case of an HTPC, commercial BD playback software such as TMT, PDVD, and WinDVD would be affected, but, not the physical drive. The player detects Cinavia by decoding the audio and looking for the Cinavia pattern, and then verifies that the disc is AACS encrypted (or hashed in the case of DVD's). That's it. The extent of what Cinavia is and does. To date, the software players have not been updated to detect Cinavia. This could change with updates in the future. But it only affects the players and nothing else.

Great, thanks for confirming a path that myself, and surely many others, can pursue to play our backups.
Years ago, after the kids had destroyed the fourth new Snow White DVD, I determined to never buy another. Other than the Blu-ray original, that has held true.
The studios must let me make a back-up, because I just can't afford to keep buying replacements.

Oh, and Media Player Classic plays my backups just fine.

Yup. I use MC17 myself, but, same idea. But beyond just merely making a backup, for me it's about convenience. I have a gigabit network in my house and backup my library to MKV's. Those MKV's are available to any machine on my network, allowing me to access my library without having to get up and put a disc in. I find discs to be a good distribution method (downloads just aren't there yet. 3 blu-rays and you're hitting a lot of company's download caps). But, I want to consume the blu-rays my way, and that means media shifting to a hard drive. Fortunately for us, Cinavia won't enter the picture. For others that rely on (new?) stand alones or a PS3, they're not so lucky.

That's a workarround, the article even sais so.
One interesting thing I just read is that DVDFab has already come up with a work around for Cinavia on the PS3.
It's and an old statement; not a solution, and requires special BDMV-REC media that usually isnt available in most stores. To top it of the cinavia signal is STILL in the video material.

All the sony (for the ps3 example) has to do is to apply a patch to detect bdmv-rec discs and boom, loophole is closed. Cinavia still gets triggered regardless if AACS is present.

You clearly have not been following the discussion and fail to understand how cinavia works.

so no special media, my bad then. Must have misunderstood that part myself then. The workarround fact still remains though :)

I could be incorrect but it's my understanding that not all Blu-Ray burners are even capable of being used for the BDMV-REC workaround due to some things not being implemented/present in the burner. You then have the fact that not all Blu-Ray players support playback of these backups if they are successfully created.

So, you don't have across the board 100% support in either Blu-Ray burners or standalone players. This workaround may be clever but I see it as inelegant and nothing more than a hack job. What DVDFab has accomplished with their posted workarounds aren't solutions in my book. They are merely temporary workarounds that aren't successful on every device and could stop working on the devices they do work on at any time with an update to how Cinavia is handled.

I'll patiently wait for a better real solution from Slysoft or I'll just use my non-Cinavia devices for playback. I'm not wasting time and energy using a workaround that will possibly wind up in those backups becoming completely unplayable down the road.

It would be a good idea for all Oppo owners to download and KEEP a copy of the current (Cinavia free as of 12/09/11) firmwares... just in case.

They don't. The DISC itself is NOT AACS encrypted. They add an AACS folder on the disc that contains a hash that's generated with a private key at mastering time. That has ZERO affect on DVD players. It just ignores it. However, if you play that disc in a Cinavia infected blu-ray player, then it uses that hash to verify that the disc is a trusted source. The way it works is that the AACS hash is generated on *EVERY* file on the DVD *AFTER* CSS has been applied. So if you remove CSS, for example, or change ANY file on the DVD in any way, the generated hash won't match the hash that's stored in the AACS folder. Clever, no?

I didn't read all the responses so sorry about the repeat question if that's the case.

What about decrypting the hash keys (trust source info.) that are needed which players do that anyways during the backup, then just adding that same exact info untouched more less or figuratively speaking to the backup? This way you use the backup but it thinks it is really the original. I am sure that the association will be doing something similar to the way slysoft does their BD keys (on a secure server that reads not writes). One would think in doing it this way would work. Or is that more less saying to put the protection back on the backup (so to speak)?

I can almost guarantee you that when this become norm you'll end up buying a new player to playback your movies or deal with not watching it unless you use Netflix or something similar to that.

I am sure it isn't that simple of a fix or even that easy for that matter but wouldn't it be easier? Also I bet if the software companies aka TMT or PowerDVD etc... aren't effected by this it would seem more feasible to get you Home Theater PC no?

cinavia doesnt use the player / disc hash keys afaik. Its an inaudible audio signal embedded in the audio stream that when detected triggers the "message code 3" error. One of the reasons software players probably will never embed cinavia detecting is because they can be reverse engineerd to find the detection algorithm. Once they have that it would be game over.

I didn't read all the responses so sorry about the repeat question if that's the case.

What about decrypting the hash keys (trust source info.)

Let me stop you right there because I think you misunderstand the concept. The hash is created with a private key. The hash is never decrypted. It's compared. The hash is generated at mastering time and stored on the disc. When the Cinavia signal is detected at run time, the player uses the private key to generate a hash of the disc in real time. Then it compares them. If they match, trusted source. If they do not, no trusted source and audio is killed and "you're a dirty pirate you scumbag" is spewed across the screen. (I think that's what it said the last time I encountered it. :D). In any case, you can't create a hash because the private key is, well, private and not known. So the idea of creating a new hash for the decrypted disc is out, as well.

cinavia doesnt use the player / disc hash keys afaik. Its an inaudible audio signal embedded in the audio stream that when detected triggers the "message code 3" error. One of the reasons software players probably will never embed cinavia detecting is because they can be reverse engineerd to find the detection algorithm. Once they have that it would be game over.

You'd be wrong on that assumption. :) I know for a fact that at least one of the players will be adding it. I just don't know the time frame in which it will be added. But it's a requirement for them, as well, because they are licensed players.

well if they do, it may become a little easier to crack that infestation :)

I wouldn't bet on that necessarily. It's a good theory much like AACS, but, I would argue that they've probably thought about this issue. Like BD+, this damn thing is adaptable. Once it's compromised doesn't mean it stays compromised going forward.

It would be a good idea for all Oppo owners to download and KEEP a copy of the current (Cinavia free as of 12/09/11) firmwares... just in case.

Well, this won't really help. Due to licensing agreements users can not downgrade firmware on the BDP-93/BDP-95 even though it was possible and still is for the BDP-83. Apparently it's part of the agreement with Netflix if not others, as well.

I may grab another BDP-93 at some point and for that player lag behind on firmware updates. As it stands, however, most Oppo firmware updates contain important updates for compatibility and ignoring an update may cause problems down the road with newer releases.

Thanks for the responses. I am still a bit lost but yet at the same time I fully understand if that makes any sense.

Heh.......
I'm just glad I boycotted Blu-Ray from the beginning. :)
I don't think Cinavia will ever get a real hold on SD-DVD's.

-W

Heh.......
I'm just glad I boycotted Blu-Ray from the beginning. :)
I don't think Cinavia will ever get a real hold on SD-DVD's.

-W

Haven't you been paying attention? :) Some DVD's already include Cinavia. And I know the counter argument...."But DVD players don't support it." Neither do 90% of most BD players at the moment. ;) Boycotting blu-ray for DVD is simply silly.

Back